Texas Fishing Forum

Athens Reports?

Posted By: willyrdskillyrd

Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 03:15 AM

Anybody been out to Athens lately? Been trying to get on some crappie lately but I want to change things up some and take my dad out for some bass. Any reports or general tips for this time of year out there?
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 04:32 AM

Fish the highway bridge and hang on tight to your pole.
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 04:39 AM

I thought people on here said it closed recently. Is that the case?
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by TxDanFishMan

That OTT to work ....and a frog around mid-lake docks usually good post spawn on Athens.
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Scoundrel

That OTT to work ....and a frog around mid-lake docks usually good post spawn on Athens.

I see what you did there. Good one.
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by texasAUtiger
I thought people on here said it closed recently. Is that the case?

No it’s not closed. Fisheries is closed and I’m pretty positive the marina is as well. But the ramp is open
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 03:30 PM

That bridge has been hammered for weeks now. Good luck.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank

That bridge has been hammered for weeks now. Good luck.

“decades”

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/02/20 11:03 PM

I’ve fished the bridge last summer and it was decent and caught a 5 lber right in that area. I’m thinking about throwing a frog along the shoreline early and then flipping reeds or switching to a spinner bait.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/03/20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by willyrdskillyrd
I’ve fished the bridge last summer and it was decent and caught a 5 lber right in that area. I’m thinking about throwing a frog along the shoreline early and then flipping reeds or switching to a spinner bait.

Solid plan. Let us know how it goes.
Posted By: Bigg Un

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/03/20 08:25 PM

Its been kinda tough lately...little lake is getting hammered daily...good luck..
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/03/20 11:15 PM

Has Athens tested positive yet?

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/04/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by jbcarroll3000
Originally Posted by willyrdskillyrd

Solid plan. Let us know how it goes.

Well I was planning on going but that was before I realized it wasn’t gonna get about 50 degrees today so I’ll be headed out there another time soon.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/04/20 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Un
Its been kinda tough lately...little lake is getting hammered daily...good luck..

Every lake is getting hammered lately. It's unbelievable. I went to the Hwy 64 ramp on Tyler to run my boat yesterday afternoon. There must have been 30 trailers there. Thursday afternoon at 5:15 the parking lot at the marina was full. I had to park down the road.

Pines on Wednesday of last week looked like the busiest tournament Saturday you ever saw.

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/04/20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
Originally Posted by Bigg Un

Every lake is getting hammered lately. It's unbelievable. I went to the Hwy 64 ramp on Tyler to run my boat yesterday afternoon. There must have been 30 trailers there. Thursday afternoon at 5:15 the parking lot at the marina was full. I had to park down the road.

Pines on Wednesday of last week looked like the busiest tournament Saturday you ever saw.

When the weathers nice, lake waxahachie has 20+ boats on it every day and for a tiny lake like that it’s tough
Posted By: 361V

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/05/20 10:52 AM

Great! Way to go! The cats out of the bag now! laugh
Posted By: roberts

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/06/20 03:13 AM

Went last Thursday after fork was a flop. me and a buddy fished the bank lines and grass edges with a watermelon / red senko and tore them up. caught 20 in about an hour, biggest one went close to 8, one 5 , and a lot of solid 2 to 3 pounders. nothing on topwater, frog or buzzbait
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/06/20 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by roberts
Went last Thursday after fork was a flop. me and a buddy fished the bank lines and grass edges with a watermelon / red senko and tore them up. caught 20 in about an hour, biggest one went close to 8, one 5 , and a lot of solid 2 to 3 pounders. nothing on topwater, frog or buzzbait

Nicely done. This will add 20 more to the 75-80 going already. Good job.
cheers
Posted By: roberts

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/06/20 05:57 AM

LOL, anytime. with all this virus [censored] going around even the sh*$ty lakes are jammed packed.

Re: Athens Reports? - 04/06/20 01:10 PM

Sounds like a good day! Thanks for the info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum