Texas Fishing Forum

Red label 15lb

Posted By: Statton48

Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 02:30 AM

Bought some just recently from academy. Had to even open the wrapped package that holds 6-8 spools. Well last wknd, first flip, new line, good knot, broke off about a 3lbr.....checked the rod and all was good. 30 min later..... snap “maybe my fault” I gave her all I had and was a
Little closer than I thought. Well, it happened again and I threw that rod in the box. Took it out yesterday and I saw a little buck bass on a bed. Flipped in there, he ate it, set the hook and snap!!! I didn’t lay it to him or anything!!! Threw it down again and checked the rod and reel over real good when I got home. All
Checked out.

Has anyone gotten bad spools lately? I bought 3 more out of the same package, along with some 20lb that was new also. One break was at the rod top, others were down close to the knot. No frays, no knicks, and no curls or bent line from knot failure.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Statton48
Bought some just recently from academy. Had to even open the wrapped package that holds 6-8 spools. Well last wknd, first flip, new line, good knot, broke off about a 3lbr.....checked the rod and all was good. 30 min later..... snap “maybe my fault” I gave her all I had and was a
Little closer than I thought. Well, it happened again and I threw that rod in the box. Took it out yesterday and I saw a little buck bass on a bed. Flipped in there, he ate it, set the hook and snap!!! I didn’t lay it to him or anything!!! Threw it down again and checked the rod and reel over real good when I got home. All
Checked out.

Has anyone gotten bad spools lately? I bought 3 more out of the same package, along with some 20lb that was new also. One break was at the rod top, others were down close to the knot. No frays, no knicks, and no curls or bent line from knot failure.

Yes from Academy 15 lb also... SOn has broke off 3 times on smaller bass.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 03:16 AM

I would let Seagaur know about it. Especially if you have the unused spools and the box with all the info about production lines and all. Every company will have some "bad" batches but Seaguar is usually really reliable and they'll want to ensure this doesn't happen again. I use red label a lot and yellow box too and consider it really good stuff.
Posted By: upside

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 03:25 AM

What knot?
Posted By: GROD

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 01:34 PM

Just do the simple knot test to check the line. Simply tie a single regular knot, then pull both ends. If line breaks line is no good. If line is on a reel already, then pull some line out and repeat until you find good line. I keep my rods and reels in my garage so I do the test often.
Posted By: shooter920

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 01:59 PM

I know I’m in the minority on this one but I will never put Seagaur on any of my reels ever again. I’ve had Terrible luck with many different batches.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 02:02 PM

I have never liked that stuff. I usually use Invisx but tried the Viscious brand I got from Academy. A 500yd spool same price as 200 Invisx. Took it to Mexico(Comedero). Caught between 40-50 fish per day and not a single break off. I was very surprised. Going to keep using it at this point. I think you can get bad batches of any of it but maybe give it a try.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 02:34 PM

Probably vanish that someone put on a seguar spool and returned it to Academy.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 02:59 PM

The red label has little to no abrasion resistance when I tried it years ago. Never tried it again. But, I use invizX and Arazx 99% of the time and don’t have problems.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 03:07 PM

My red label started fraying badly. I'm thinking I have a bad guide on the rod, but will let you know. Will report back.
Posted By: R.J.E.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 03:33 PM

I use it all the time, has some memory but very strong for me .

'
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 03:38 PM

Usually no issues with it but broke it twice yesterday on small fish and lots of fraying. Could be a guide. It's typically great line for me with line conditioner
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 04:01 PM

Was a big Red Label fan a few years back. Started having too many issues with fraying etc that I found something else to use.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 04:36 PM

I'm on the water quite a bit fishing mostly rocks and wood type cover. Have not had any problems with
Red Label. Have used other brands that may be a little more user friendly, but the difference to me is pretty negligible other than that the Red Label seems tougher. Probably should try some of the others to see if they are any better than before, but for the price I don't intend to.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Was a big Red Label fan a few years back. Started having too many issues with fraying etc that I found something else to use.

What did you switch to?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Originally Posted by Mark Perry

What did you switch to?

Sunline Super Flourocarbon....its just -$2-3 more and I have not a single issue in the past couple of years.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 05:51 PM

Without adding to your frustration, what type knot are you using for the Red label?
Posted By: 21sammy

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by shooter920
I know I’m in the minority on this one but I will never put Seagaur on any of my reels ever again. I’ve had Terrible luck with many different batches.

You are not alone, I've bought about 5 spools of line from them and 3 of them had this issue. Gave up on them completely.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/29/20 09:45 PM

15lb and up I use a polamer, anything under I use a improved clinch. I used some more of it today on the same rod and sight fished for about 6hrs. Had no issues at all. Different spool Same rod also. Maybe it was just a fluke. Biggest I caught today was around 5sh and probably caught 12-15 in the 3lb range. I spoiled some of the 20 on my flipping rod also. Caught a couple on it with no issues. Like other have said, for the price, it’s hard to beat usually, but I chunked that other spool in the trash.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 12:30 AM

I would never use Palomar with any flouro.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by upside
I would never use Palomar with any flouro.

But KVD does, sooooooo..........
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 01:50 AM

He probably uses really really good fluoro

A couple bad experiences with Red Label and I switched to copoly and never looked back
I do miss the feel of weightless presentations with fluoro

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 01:51 AM

Just make sure it is tied correctly with palomar or it will cut itself easily. I learned this the hard way. I have more confidence with other knots that are not as easy to make a mistake with.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by upside
Just make sure it is tied correctly with palomar or it will cut itself easily. I learned this the hard way. I have more confidence with other knots that are not as easy to make a mistake with.

What knot is "not as easy to make a mistake with" than a palomar? The palomar is about as simple a know as there ever was! (Notice I said simple, not best.)
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 02:56 AM

I purchased some red label from Academy in 10lbs test for my spinning reel, used it on one outing, removed it as soon as I got back home. Will never buy again
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:12 AM

I tried some 8 lb Red Label on a spinning reel. Very gnarly. I use 8 lb Pline instead. But I like it for a level wind Casting reel.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:21 AM

I tried 12 lb Red Label, lasted one day and took it off and went back to big game.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:33 AM

Think I’m going to try the new suffix advance. I like their mono a lot.
Posted By: CashFishingTeam

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:36 AM

Not sure if it’s something from academy’s batch?? I use red label 15lb for wacky rigging and absolutely love it. I the a palmar knot. Used it for years but was actually just thinking to myself before this post went up how good it has been holding up for me lately. I went 2 weeks ago on a Tuesday and caught every bit of 60 fish on it. It was stupid good. I never retied cuz I was fun fishing and didn’t care. Took my buddy out a week later on Tuesday (last Tuesday), sane line and still same knot and we didn’t catch as many, but every fish I caught was over 4lbs. Then went to cedar creek Wednesday, through a floating zoom trick worm on same hook and knot I was throwing my wacky worm on. Normally I’d use a 3/0, but again fun fishing and really didn’t care. By this time it was funny how many fish same line and knot caught. Went again Thursday caught probably 10 more on it. Finally respooled Thursday night and retied the hook for first time! I was actually thinking my 2/0 owner might be getting dull, cuz I know I was pushing 100 fish on that same hook! Went Friday again and smashed them. Even though it was fresh line. Had a 7 lber n held up fine. Now I am smart enough to not use the 15lb red label Texas rigging. For me that’s just asking for problems. I hammer it home. And on short floips and pitches especially, would get break offs. So for that I move up to 17# BPS line which is made for them by Seaguar! Or I’ll use the 20# red label to flip with. But for weightless presentations 15# will hold up all day long. Just have to be smart and use it for right situations. I’ll crank with 12# and never any problems. Don’t go less than 10# on my fairy wand, but for that just to be safe, because It’s a little lighter will use the Invisex. Hope that helps.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:56 AM

Mine hasn’t been snapping on hook set, it’s fraying apart.

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 12:44 PM

Consider using the Shaw Grisby knot for Flouro, best knot for flouro. Palomar, great knot for mono or braid, Flouro is a different beast.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by GROD
Just do the simple knot test to check the line. Simply tie a single regular knot, then pull both ends. If line breaks line is no good. If line is on a reel already, then pull some line out and repeat until you find good line. I keep my rods and reels in my garage so I do the test often.

You can break almost any line with this test.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 01:12 PM

Palomar is a very strong doubled line knot tied correctly, but you can’t cross the lines or cinch it above the over hand or it can cut the line. It’s also a very small knot that doesn’t have a lot of abrasion resistance.

I prefer bulkier knots that correct themselves when cinched down
Doubled uni/doubled pitzen

Posted By: speedcrawler

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:29 PM

I bought some on sale at Cabela's. I've never used it before so thought I would try it out. Bought 12 and 15lb. 12 was used for cranking. Had a back lash and noticed it had quite a few abrasive spots. Noticed same using 15lb on trig. Several bad spots in line after only using on a couple trips out. I don't really like it and won't buy again. I bought some invizx that was on sale too and can tell a huge difference between the two lines. Obviously big difference in price too but may be worth it.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 03:31 PM

Checked out.

I used 10lb once and it kept breaking on the spool and the knot. I will only use invizx or equivalent now.
Posted By: Martinial

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 07:39 PM

hummmm, I've used Red label for the last 5 years or so and never had a problem with it (mostly 12lb ) but I have noticed in the last 3-4 weeks that I was getting a lot of fraying. had a 2 1/2 lber wrap me on a branch and it didn't break but it did fray. I've hung bigger fish in worse stuff in the past and never had that issue... BTW I got mine at Academy

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/30/20 09:29 PM

ever considered the inexpensive yo zuri top knot? great flouro low memory abrasive resistant and low cost
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/31/20 02:09 AM

Get some 20 Invizx and use big game on crank baits and learn how to tie a palomar knot. fish
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Red label 15lb - 03/31/20 04:08 AM

Checked out.

I bought it one time and had the same experience. Never again.

Interestingly, I’ve had a great experience with Seagar Invis-X.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum