Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts

Posted By: Lsuimpact

Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 01:46 PM

Anyone been on ray rob lately? I heard it’s super tough right now. Any tips, after this storm I need to get out of the house! Or another semi close lake to the colony/frisco area that is decent?

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 02:02 PM

Also, how does this lightening affect fishing, I always hear that fish shut down after a storm with lots of lightening? Any truth to that?
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 02:07 PM

Went Thursday just to explore places I don't normally go. The fish seem to be in 2 feet of water but the problem is the lake is so high that most of the lake with 2 feet of water is not accessible. I caught a 6.5 in 2 feet of water and 3 others but that was the only bites I had but Im not a Roberts stick by any means.

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 02:10 PM

Thanks man, I have fished Roberts much in 5 years, back when it was 10’ low, it’s a totally new lake to me now. And then all this rain, sucks
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 02:13 PM

Thinking about going today, too. I hear the ramps are insane right now.

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 02:15 PM

I heard Jordan was open yesterday and isle du Boise ramp was also, assuming it’s still open
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 02:49 PM

Launched at Sanger Access on Thursday evening, when we went to load, we had to wait for 5-6 wake boats to load. Fishing is definitely picking up.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 05:09 PM

Yea I was there Thursday, the wake boat idiots were out in force, occupying the entire center ramp at Sanger access with one boat and truck. Then starts arguing with the trooper that was parked out there avoiding contact with people... one wake boat idiot in particular backs his boat down the entire ramp and starts loading his boat. I’m floating out by the tires and watching this show.. I don’t think he ever got his boat started...
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lsuimpact
Also, how does this lightening affect fishing, I always hear that fish shut down after a storm with lots of lightening? Any truth to that?

It is good during bad weather. I have had 3 huge stringers on the inside bend of creeks in the very back where I could clip up and hunker down until the lighten passed. Before and after the storm is the best. All on this spinner bait.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 08:26 PM

I like to listen to TOOL when fishing ray bob...
Posted By: S Fatherree

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 08:57 PM

The best advice which I can offer is to cover as much water as possible right now using searchbaits such as red/brown colored squarebilled crankbaits, green pumpkin vibrating jigs, and small topwaters. If you are closer to the main lake or in some cleaner water don't hesitate to throw a shallow running jerkbait on 12 lb fluorocarbon around timber for heavy suspended fish. Once you get bit start to slow down in those areas using lightly weighted Texas rigged soft plastics or weightless/wacky worms. Good luck!

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 11:08 PM

Good advice Stephen
Posted By: CB-52

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/28/20 11:14 PM

how muddy is it on the west side?

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/29/20 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by CB-52
how muddy is it on the west side?

It’s muddy, but you can find clearer water over there.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/29/20 09:28 AM

Was there Thursday and yesterday... fixing to head back out there today. Fishing has been VERY tough, 5-10 bites in a full day of fishing hard. Both days so far my partner and I had a shot at a giant but didn’t put either in the boat. Ramps are open, lake has been busy.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/29/20 04:41 PM

If you can have two chances at a giant with two guys fishing two days I'd say that you are in a good place, given that you are two guys fromTexas and know what giants look like.

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/29/20 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Was there Thursday and yesterday... fixing to head back out there today. Fishing has been VERY tough, 5-10 bites in a full day of fishing hard. Both days so far my partner and I had a shot at a giant but didn’t put either in the boat. Ramps are open, lake has been busy.

What’s been the best hours you think Buda?
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/29/20 07:09 PM

FIshing tough, Flooded and crowded, Partner said he had never seen jordan so packed today at lunch. Still some big ones being caught. Buddy of mine had a 9 pounder 10 feet away from where I caught a 9 pounder just last week... Dannie also sent me a picture of a 9 pounder he caught.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/29/20 10:43 PM

Thanks for reminding me. You have to stay on your toes all day. I let a giant whoop me yesterday. After fishing hours without a bite I hooked into a giant. I was using a 7'3" XH rod and 25 pound test. When I set the hook she took off and I couldn't turn her. Got around a thorn tree and broke me off. I'm still mad about it right now.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/30/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Barrett
FIshing tough, Flooded and crowded, Partner said he had never seen jordan so packed today at lunch. Still some big ones being caught. Buddy of mine had a 9 pounder 10 feet away from where I caught a 9 pounder just last week... Dannie also sent me a picture of a 9 pounder he caught.

State Park was pure chaos at noon when I put it on the trailer today.. parking lot was 3/4 full and more people pouring in. Probably 20 vehicles in line at the guard shack waiting to pay. FWIW I’m hearing a bunch of our local lakes are like that right now. After what I saw today, get your fishing in because it’s going to be taken away soon. 8 people all showing up in 3 different vehicles all getting on the same pontoon.. lots of this going on. I felt like I was really pushing it fishing 2 people on my boat right now. Wake board Boats are loaded down with people too. Hope I’m wrong.. seeing way more people not respecting the social distancing order than I ever thought I would.

Fishing today was even more brutal, tough tough tough. Did see a guy catch one maybe 7 lbs or so across the creek from us. Managed a few bites but it was slim pickins and there were boats everywhere. Running into Sand you’d have thought the Big Bass Splash was on Ray Bob, looked like a parking lot.
Posted By: Barn

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/30/20 12:25 AM

Jordan was packed today. I've never seen it that full. Lucky I put in at about 7:00 AM. When I left at 5 looked like 400+ trailers. They were parked down the road. eeks Fish seem to be compiling with the social distancing as well.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/30/20 12:52 AM

Went with the wife for a couple hours today. Jordan was packed and it’s amazing the people the just pull their boats out of the water and the hop out and lock everything down right their on the ramp blocking it.

Fishing was decent, wife caught a 4.5lber and I caught a couple other ones in just a couple of hours of fishing.

[Linked Image]

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/30/20 02:21 PM

We put in a Sanger access and it was like an insane asylum... all the issues were again wake boats... bass boat guys were doing as we should, we are ready to go long before we get to the ramp... I just don’t get the wake boat crowd, music is cranked up before they are in the water and it’s all guys going in one boat, a regular sausage fest, not a woman in a bikini in sight but yet they have Madonna playing on the radio, it’s just odd to me
Posted By: Kevin R.

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/30/20 05:48 PM

I hope the ramps are not as bad during the week. I hope to go this week and not sure where to launch to avoid the clowns and crowds.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 02:33 AM

I wish that's what I called "tough"
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Keenan
We put in a Sanger access and it was like an insane asylum... all the issues were again wake boats... bass boat guys were doing as we should, we are ready to go long before we get to the ramp... I just don’t get the wake boat crowd, music is cranked up before they are in the water and it’s all guys going in one boat, a regular sausage fest, not a woman in a bikini in sight but yet they have Madonna playing on the radio, it’s just odd to me

Back in the 80s I had a Mastercraft Tournament ski boat and my buddies and I were serious slalom, trick ski, and bare footers. If you saw another Tournament Inboard you usually saw a lot of talent on board. When I see these wake board boats all i typically see is a novice wakeboarder falling off every 30 yards and a boat load of loud drunks that think the boat is a giant boom box. Same with a lot of Harley riders today. It is all about cruising through a crowded area with Hipdogitydipshit rapping at 130db.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin R.
I hope the ramps are not as bad during the week. I hope to go this week and not sure where to launch to avoid the clowns and crowds.

thumb

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 11:50 AM

With RR at this level, what ramp has a place I can safely beach my boat or Power Pole down and drag an anchor to the beach in 2' or less? I'll launch at daybreak so no issue being by myself, but the load out in a cluster by myself , I'm not looking forward to tying to a dock and getting my boat beat up. I usually go to IDB, is that little cove South of the ramp a spot that you can beach and tie? Can't remember.

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow
With RR at this level, what ramp has a place I can safely beach my boat or Power Pole down and drag an anchor to the beach in 2' or less? I'll launch at daybreak so no issue being by myself, but the load out in a cluster by myself , I'm not looking forward to tying to a dock and getting my boat beat up. I usually go to IDB, is that little cove South of the ramp a spot that you can beach and tie? Can't remember.

Yes at IDB, also I've beached at Sanger Access.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow

You can beach at Jordan still, did it both times last week and stepped right out onto the bank.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 01:36 PM

Sorry for the late reports...This was Sunday. Brett (BCBassCat) and I went out of Jordan Moore at sun up. There were 8 boats at the ramp when we launched...that quickly changed at 1 PM.

Managed a few crappie, a spot, and a LM. It was tough, but a fun day out.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 02:08 PM

Thanks for the report Avid Basser , good info
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Ray Roberts - 03/31/20 02:11 PM

PS: water temps were in the high 60's, water was stained, and baits had to be slow.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum