Texas Fishing Forum

Stay at Home Orders, Fishing?

Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 08:16 AM

So here in Smith County, Texas our County Judge issued an order yesterday that residents are not to conduct any non-essential activity and that all non-essential businesses close. And fishing certainly did not fall into the essential category as defined. Violation of this order is punishable by up to 180 days in jail and/or a $1000 fine. Living on the Lake Tyler I've seen a bunch of boats lately, every day fishing the shoreline. I'm assuming that will come to an end with the order. So between now and April 12 at 12:00 AM we can't launch at a city ramp location and nor could a marina be open for business to take payment for a launch?? While we can social distance on the water, it doesn't fall into the County's definition of essential activity. Though most fishermen would likely beg to differ.

Anybody else dealing with this and have a better understanding?
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 09:53 AM

I thought it would be unlikely that your county's order would be different than all of the rest, which include outdoor activity as an essential activity.

So I went to the Smith County website and downloaded the order. Its almost identical to the rest.

Read it. You can still fish.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 10:00 AM

The order may not specifically list fishing, but it does fall under the outdoor activity while maintaining distance. Initially read it the same way you are, then found out golf courses are still open and darn near booked. I said to heck with it and went fishing to find about 40 other trailers in the parking lot at the ramp. Fueled the boat next to a FTW officer on my way out, just waived at me. That’s what’s going on here in Tarrant and Denton counties anyway. I’m on my way out the door now to do go catch a few now.
Posted By: ring fry

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 11:05 AM

Until I'm told different I consider fishing being an "open outdoor recreational space". That's the criteria up here anyway.

SE Kansas grass grower (retired)
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 11:31 AM

Fish on!
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 11:39 AM

Sitting at the boat ramp waiting out the Lightning.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Sitting at the boat ramp waiting out the Lightning.

I'm about 3 minutes from the ramp. Same here. As soon as that big red line on the radar passes, its game on!
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 01:28 PM

Lets see here... read the order OR post on TFF for someone else to read the order. roflmao ... none of these orders say you cant go fish.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 01:53 PM

I have started wearing a tinfoil hat after reading the TFF
Posted By: Champion1

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

LMAO! That's just so wrong!!!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by RedRanger

Don't wear it in the lightning.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 05:39 PM

County Judge Moran specifically said at the press conference that outdoor recreation is exempted and allowed as long as distancing is maintained. He went on to say that all parks will remain open for outdoor activities. He said playing basketball on park courts probably isn't a good idea, but it's not banned.

Every lake is packed like it's a tournament Saturday. I'll be out there myself tomorrow.
Posted By: Big C

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 08:25 PM

I know the other day, Lake Tyler had their little weekly tournament that usually has 10-20 boats in it. IIRC, the other day it had 50+.
Posted By: undercover

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 09:46 PM

If it comes down to it I will catch (5) swimmers and tell the LAW my fridge is empty and I am fishing to feed my family. EATING IS ESSENTIAL ACTIVITY.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/28/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by undercover
If it comes down to it I will catch (5) swimmers and tell the LAW my fridge is empty and I am fishing to feed my family. EATING IS ESSENTIAL ACTIVITY.

fishing is encouraged, no doomsday thinking needed. hmmm
Posted By: machinist

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/29/20 03:45 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Stay at Home Orders, Fishing? - 03/29/20 04:57 PM

What day is the lake Tyler tournament?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum