Texas Fishing Forum

Have you fished a Tokyo Rig?

Posted By: Andrew Upshaw

Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/25/20 11:31 PM

Have you ever fished a Tokyo Rig? What’s your favorite bait to use on it?

Below you will find my latest video on how I build my own Tokyo Rig and exactly how I fish them. Let me know what you think!

https://youtu.be/1LBAo_tiSZc
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 12:03 AM

I once fished a Very short crig one time, about 6 to 8 inch one time and it worked. CLOASE AS I have fished to the Tokyo rig.

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 12:22 AM

Thad...for years I fished a very short drop shot, then learned about the Jika Rig. Both have there place for sure!
Posted By: rickys

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 12:30 AM

I bought one of the VMC tokyo rigs. I tried it for an hour or so. I didn't care for it. The fieel just wasn't there for me. I was fishing in a lot of grass. I've never tried it again. I still have some and I'm sure I'll give them another try. I just prefer on old texas rig in situations I would use this. Like said above, I'm sure everything has a time and place. Give it a try; I'm sure I will too in the future. It's different, and I do drop shot fish a good bit.

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 01:39 AM

I’ve been impressed with the one I fish around rock. Love it around rock!
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 01:59 AM

I got some last week, and they’re great on beds. If you just bounce the rod tip, you can make the tungenston rattle in place. Pair that with a rage craw, and you’re sure to get bit.
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 02:49 AM

Ordered some....I think they may be useful when it gets hot?

sb

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 01:46 PM

Medina lake guy...agree completely. That’s how I use mine too.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 01:57 PM

i have no need for that set up.

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/26/20 10:46 PM

Senko....I understand it isn’t for everyone! But it does work!
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/27/20 12:05 AM

Andrew, long age we would drill out the hole in a 3/4--1 oz bullet weight, double a paper clip to make a loop jamming it into the sinker, hook a Larue craw thru the head, put the weight loop over the hook, imbed tbe hook in the bait. Made a great hydrilla punching bait or pitching into the reeds. Your rig reminded me of all that. I really enjoy reading, learning different ways to catch a bass, thanks for the video. thumb
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/27/20 12:21 PM

Nice video, bought some of the VMC rigs, but haven't tried to use them yet. Good ideas in the video. Congrats on last years success on tour, good fishing man.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/27/20 12:51 PM

Nice video. I have tried the VMC and another version of that rig so far without any luck. I do like how it looks keeping the bait just off/out of the bottom clutter and more visible. Will try it how you have it rigged up and see what happens.
Posted By: DCJohnson

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/30/20 04:25 PM

I bought a pack of the VMC 4/0 Tokyo rig hooks a couple of weeks and tried them one afternoon on Sam Rayburn using a Reactions Kinky Beaver. Was flipping it in buck brush and hay grass in about 3' of water. Caught a 4 lber within the first few minutes of trying it.
Picked up another about 2 lbs about 15 minutes later then put it down to try other things. The next day in my club tournament there I lost 3 fish in less than 20 minutes on this rig, including a monster. I don't know if the rig is prone to losing fish with that weight swinging around or if I just didn't execute well. I know what I'd like to believe, but it probably had more to do with me than the rig. The jury is still out for me, but I'll definitely be trying it more this year.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/30/20 04:41 PM

I experimented with the VMC in my swimming pool. Did not see anything remarkable. My Rage Craw seemed to just lay flat on the bottom and I couldn't get feel for how to get a nice nose down action.
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Have you fished a Tokyo Rig? - 03/30/20 05:51 PM

Been using it for bed fishing this year on my larger profile baits like a Reaction Innovations Sweet Beaver. Love it. First year using one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum