Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad closing boat ramps.

Posted By: fishnfireman

Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 01:11 AM

https://www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

Makes you wonder what politician in Valverde county pulled the plug.
Especially after the video the Nat'l park service had posted a few days ago essentially saying how safe and good a day fishing would be.. And the fact that the only other lake in Texas (Meredith) ran by the Nat'l park service remains open as of there web site at 8:00 PM.
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 01:42 AM

Stupid! Along with all the water they are pulling from it!
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by RCarter

Maybe that is why?????

sb

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by SeanV14

Maybe that is why?????

sb

No sir-- they have actually slowed the release --- they may close some short ramps but Amistad was never closed even at the record lowest.. Due to water release.
I smell local politics !! (MY OPINION)
I don't have a dog in this fight but I have many close friends down there whos livelihood is dependent on the fisherman.. If it was me I'd be talking to the local news and city fathers to find out why .
Hard for me to believe the Nat'l park service closed the ramps at Amistad but as of this posting NOT at Meredith.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 01:00 PM

the website says they are closing the state parks,does that means ramps are closed also?

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 01:12 PM

They closed the Nat'l park service offices and out buildings to public Access sometime back. Which makes perfect sense to protect employees and promote social distancing. But left the boat ramps open and even put out a video to promote going fishing. And waived the purchase of day use permits...
As of 8;00 this morning the RAMPS are also closed.
https://www.nps.gov/amis/planyourvisit/fishing.htm
Posted By: BrianID

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 01:39 PM

I completely agree with fishnfireman. Close the park but leave gate open to boat ramp.

Fishermen are not going to spread the virus on the lake but they could spread it at local stores, hotels and restaurants. I don't think someone from out of the area should be traveling to fish Amistad this week but there is no reason the locals shouldn't be allowed to fish.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 04:41 PM

County judge did the dirty work, some on the lake said they may not pay county and school taxes, bunch of PO people mad

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 06:26 PM

A mutual friend of ours (you know who) called. You can imagine how happy he is. Said he called the Mayor yesterday and still no call back from him..
Also heard they are limiting the number of patrons inside the Walmart. So now there's a big crowd bunched up outside waiting in line. hammer

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 06:31 PM

You mean to tell me that Bruno aka "Ralphy" wouldn't return a phone call? Go figure....

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by fishnfireman

Maybe that is why?????

sb

No sir-- they have actually slowed the release --- they may close some short ramps but Amistad was never closed even at the record lowest.. Due to water release.

Oh, I didn't really think so. I think it's because I finally caught a mess of fish at the lake and the powers that be are afraid of my new found fishing prowess. I did that the night before they closed the lake. SO, no way that is a coincidence. None. Not possible.

I emailed the parks service requesting a refund of my year pass purchased in Jan. I will even accept a pro-rated refund, take the 2 months I had access.

What are the odds?

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/25/20 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by BrianID
I completely agree with fishnfireman. Close the park but leave gate open to boat ramp.

Fishermen are not going to spread the virus on the lake but they could spread it at local stores, hotels and restaurants. I don't think someone from out of the area should be traveling to fish Amistad this week but there is no reason the locals shouldn't be allowed to fish.

How about this: Let the PEOPLE determine their acceptable risk level. IF the hotel feels the need to close shop, then let them OR they can stay open but make the decision for themselves...same thing with the restaurants...already can't eat inside them, have to take out only. Stores are only letting 10 in at a time....see the post about Wal Mart.

OR we can allow ourselves to get pushed around....

sb
Posted By: firetiger

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 02:23 AM

Seems like fishing would be allowable under the ordinance section 3.a.iii

To engage in outdoor activity, provided the individuals comply with social distancing requirements of six feet (for example, walking, biking, hiking, or running).

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by fishnfireman

Maybe that is why?????

sb

I smell local politics !! (MY OPINION)
I don't have a dog in this fight but I have many close friends down there whos livelihood is dependent on the fisherman.. If it was me I'd be talking to the local news and city fathers to find out why .
Hard for me to believe the Nat'l park service closed the ramps at Amistad but as of this posting NOT at Meredith.

Sorry but they have not slowed the release.....still dropping like a rock!
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 02:42 AM

They have slowed the release down quit a bit from a week ago. It dropped like a rock over the last two weeks then went to about an inch a day. I think they will quite releasing on the 27 or 28th.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 02:42 AM

May be people should take voting more seriously. Seems local elections only bring out 15 to 30 percent of registered voters. hmmm

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by banker-always fishing
May be people should take voting more seriously. Seems local elections only bring out 15 to 30 percent of registered voters. hmmm

You know, this is real talk right here.

sb
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 02:54 AM

I heard some Cajuns were observed filleting a 5 lber at the cleaning station and when he was overheard calling his buddies, they shut everything down.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by sprigsss
I heard some Cajuns were observed filleting a 5 lber at the cleaning station and when he was overheard calling his buddies, they shut everything down.

Then they headed to Choke and proceeded too take multiple limits per day.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Amistad closing boat ramps. - 03/26/20 12:02 PM

Dem Cajuns ain't going to pay no attention to no "closed" sign as long as they have dem filet knives! roflmao
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum