Texas Fishing Forum

Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn?

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 05:22 PM

Gonna fish Lewisville tomorrow. Went out scouting today and I was only able to find one spot to access and launch my kayak.

It's FLOODED of course.

Will the bass get up in the flooded stuff? Flipping picnic tables a good idea? Flooded gangways? Stop signs etc?

what do the bass do when there's this much water right during the spawn.?
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 05:41 PM

Heavy rains cooled the entire lake. We’re warming up from that nicely so I wouldn’t hesitate to flip the shallows after the sun is up a while. Potential problem...they could be waayyyyyy back up in the bushes.

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by i-Fish
Heavy rains cooled the entire lake. We’re warming up from that nicely so I wouldn’t hesitate to flip the shallows after the sun is up a while. Potential problem...they could be waayyyyyy back up in the bushes.

Nice! Thanks for the input.

Wayyyy back you would be like trash cans and out houses at this point.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 06:13 PM

Yesterday on Grapevine i fish from 5 am till around 6. I was very successful early with a frog and chatter bait . Both Dark colors. Once the fog cleared and sun came out some, I switched to a weighted senko black and blue. Most fish came out of 5 to 8 feet of water. I also found some very large schools of big sand bass in 17 foot near the dam.

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce's
Yesterday on Grapevine i fish from 5 am till around 6. I was very successful early with a frog and chatter bait . Both Dark colors. Once the fog cleared and sun came out some, I switched to a weighted senko black and blue. Most fish came out of 5 to 8 feet of water. I also found some very large schools of big sand bass in 17 foot near the dam.

Where did you put in?

I tried Murrell park...closed. Scott landing, closed.

I'm a kayak fisherman so I don't need a ramp. Just a spot where I can get pretty close to the water to put in.

Pilot Knoll on Lville, closed. I did find a little spot near tower Bay on Lville where I can put in kayak.

*Tower Bay is closed by the way lol
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 06:40 PM

I just called and the Little Elm boat ramp is open, I'll be heading out there shortly.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 07:19 PM

They was in the thick stuff saturday
Posted By: TR176

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/24/20 09:13 PM

Go to Little Elm see if you can launch at cottonwood park over by the marina (it is a safe place to park), it is easy to launch at the LE ramp.

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/25/20 10:28 PM

Quick update/report.

Tower Bay is still closed! saw at least half a dozen bass boats pull up and then turn around at the gate.

But the fishing was poor. Threw spinnerbait in flooded stuff for hours. Got shallow as you can get. Nada. Flipped brush. Nada. Trolled cranks in the Marina...zip.

Water was very muddy and TONS of debris in the water. Talked to three other anglers on kayaks and two bank anglers... only one person reported catching a fish...a small spotted bass.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/25/20 10:45 PM

That sux they wanted it slow on joe pool but it wasn't muddy
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/25/20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
Quick update/report.

Tower Bay is still closed! saw at least half a dozen bass boats pull up and then turn around at the gate.

But the fishing was poor. Threw spinnerbait in flooded stuff for hours. Got shallow as you can get. Nada. Flipped brush. Nada. Trolled cranks in the Marina...zip.

Water was very muddy and TONS of debris in the water. Talked to three other anglers on kayaks and two bank anglers... only one person reported catching a fish...a small spotted bass.

Sounds like Hubbard........well or after 5 years off I suck at bass fishing

Fished it yesterday for 8 hours caught 6 dinks
Posted By: NoobBass

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/25/20 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by i-Fish

Nice! Thanks for the input.

Wayyyy back you would be like trash cans and out houses at this point.

Buddy of mine said he was catching all of his next to the bank the other evening.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/26/20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
Quick update/report.

Sounds like Hubbard........well or after 5 years off I suck at bass fishing

Fished it yesterday for 8 hours caught 6 dinks

That would be a darned good day for me, Chris. Last 2 days I've boated 3 fish total. One nice one, though.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Bass Behavior; Flooded lakes during spawn? - 03/26/20 01:23 PM

With flooded lakes my go to will always be shallow. No matter what time of the year it is. As it gets warmer they may position on the deeper side of the flooded cover, but they will still be there if the water is up. This time of year on a flooded lake many of the fish may push so far back that you cant get to them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum