Texas Fishing Forum

Covering treble hooks

Posted By: Cowboy57

Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 02:06 AM

Just wondering what you guys use to cover the baits on your rods that have treble hooks as you transport them, store them in rod box, or have on your front deck of boat, to avoid them from getting hung up on everything. I fight this problem a lot. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 02:08 AM

Velcro bait envelopes. They’re also good with keeping eyes off your baits before tourney starts.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 02:09 AM

If you find a really good way let me know!!
Tried the plastic covers- just lose them super quick so that was a waste.
Tried the lure wraps- these DO work but it's just something else to keep up with and I end up misplacing or losing them too.
Posted By: saibling

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 02:18 AM

please bottle and offer the remedy, thanks. 5 dollars a bottle reasonable.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Velcro bait envelopes. They’re also good with keeping eyes off your baits before tourney starts.
Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 03:14 AM

Little plastic snap on hook protectors
Pretty just trying to keep from scratching up the rods anymore than necessary
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 03:19 AM

I’ve always just hooked the bait onto my reel and dealt with it. If there is a dog in the boat I always put my extra rods in the locker to prevent them from stepping on a hook. I like fishing barefoot...I’m sure someday I’ll step on one. As far as tangling...I’m the guy the shakes a crankbait free out of a wad of 20 rather then having each one nicely organized, just how I’ve done it...
Posted By: Mallison22

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 04:04 AM

Get them at Bass Pro. These work great.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 09:18 AM

Nothing
Posted By: S Fatherree

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cowboy57
Just wondering what you guys use to cover the baits on your rods that have treble hooks as you transport them, store them in rod box, or have on your front deck of boat, to avoid them from getting hung up on everything. I fight this problem a lot. Thanks in advance!

I have always placed plastic caps or bonnets made for certain sized trebles on my lures / rods that not only have crankbaits but especially on rods that have jerkbaits, walking topwater lures, or large hard body swimbaits which have more than one treble hook on them. Just make sure that the trebles are relatively dry to prevent them from rusting prior to placing the caps over them and beware of using rod sleeves that are to long on the other rods that you will be grouping with those that have treble hook lures attached to them as the exposed treble hooks can easily hook onto your other rod sleeves and cause a bit of a tangled mess. I hope this helps!
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 10:45 AM

Tin foil to hide from prying eyes! grin
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Tin foil to hide from prying eyes! grin

Be sure to re-cycle those from your breakfast taco.. especially when fishing border lakes.. they add a little extra fish attractant. flame

I like the Velcro envelopes..
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 03:18 PM

I use speed clips on all my crankbaits so I just take them off and stow them for transport. Takes 5 seconds to put one on. For topwater (whopper ploppers, pop-r's etc) I tie them on when I get there and cut them off before I leave
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S

Academy has these for a few bucks. They work great.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 03:59 PM

Nothing.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 04:02 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 07:51 PM

Cal Coast Bait Sack.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 08:29 PM

https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Stick_Jacket_Plug_Jackets_/descpage-SJPJ.html
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 10:39 PM

Doesn’t trap moisture.
Hooks don’t penetrate under any reasonable amount of pressure.
A spinning rod sleeve slips over it.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 361V

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/23/20 11:45 PM

Another post where y’all make me look like such an underachiever!
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/24/20 03:14 AM

Looks like a Harper Spook
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Covering treble hooks - 03/24/20 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by WCGunns
Looks like a Harper Spook

Because it is.
Posted By: GDM

Re: Covering treble hooks - 04/27/20 02:25 PM

Check out www.Lurkaze.com for a new product that allows you to store your hard bait lures safely and securely while tied onto your fishing line. Designed for "one hand" operation to allow you to hold on to your rod/reel, and easily secure your "treble hook" hard bait lures into the container with your other hand. Great for safely storing lures while fishing and also when transporting your tackle. No more tangled lines, snagged carpets or trips to the Emergency Room.
Posted By: GDM

Re: Covering treble hooks - 04/28/20 11:45 AM

Check out www.Lurkaze.com for a new product that allows you to store your hard bait lures safely and securely while tied onto your fishing line. Designed for "one hand" operation to allow you to hold on to your rod/reel, and easily secure your "treble hook" hard bait lures into the container with your other hand. Great for safely storing lures while fishing and also when transporting your tackle. No more tangled lines, snagged carpets or trips to the Emergency Room.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Covering treble hooks - 04/28/20 03:45 PM

Like someone said before, through the years tried everything and the best for me is aluminum foil. Just keep a small roll in the boat. It works great, especially for the rod socks, getting trebles outta those SUK!!!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Covering treble hooks - 04/28/20 04:29 PM

Simple DIY lure cover. Gorilla tape or duct tape sandwiched, then velcro strips.

It's the first video in this six fishing hacks video

Posted By: Fishingfox

Re: Covering treble hooks - 04/30/20 11:01 PM

Empty toilet paper roll-cheap, doesn’t matter if it blows out or gets wet. Empty paper towel roll for Alabama rigs.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum