Texas Fishing Forum

The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression

Posted By: Mark Jones

The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 06:55 PM

(Removed my opinion of said recession/depression) Please respond with your thoughts on the following if/when we enter the above.

We are already seeing insights from the last several weeks with many of our clients and how their businesses are being affected. We know from the past how the market responds but this is certainly unprecedented.

So my question for the group here is how will you adjust your fishing, your travel, your spending, your choices looking back at how you handled 2008 and beyond?

For the business owners here, how are you responding now, what did you learn from 08? What is your plan moving forward?

Lastly, how can we all help this sport and the businesses that support it moving forward while many will be battling to keep their jobs, homes and families fed in this crazy time?

Hope everyone is staying safe! Fire away!
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 07:18 PM

I don't think it will negatively affect the insurance industry. Call me for a quote 214-773-3069, probably save alot of folks $$.

My answer is I won't/can't fish any real tournaments any time soon. Fishing and travel will be local for me LL and hopefully RR soon. My spending will go down a little on fishing (Rome and I have as much stuff as some of the touring pros).

Lastly buy local and not online. Help the small businesses.
Posted By: wsimpson

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 07:21 PM

In these in unchartered waters, I believe we are already in the early stage but not yet approaching the midst of a recession - just not yet called, by definition, until due time elapses. Economic policies will defer and perhaps prevent a depression. Irregardless, i’d expect a new, more frugal, economy that will favor necessity over luxury...
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 07:25 PM

I was just starting to get back in to fishing so I have no pace of involvement to adjust. I am staying close to my business and doing what I can to relieve expenses and hold on to key people.

I think its too early to say where this will lead economically, and that this "We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes. " is a premature prediction.

Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 07:26 PM

its gonna be bad mark... everyone will be affected if people don't have jobs or money to spend well no on will be buying anything but food and water to live. Pretty much every industry this week has taken a massive hit. Alot of small businesses will shut down or have all ready with most malls closing and places like tarrent county judge saying everywhere close but essential places that sell food, water, and other house hold goods.

From a stand point of owning a outdoor marketing company and a standard SEO company, the outdoor industry has taken a hit already and with the future so unsure it will only lead to more downside... Now from the SEO company we have had 90% of out clients pretty much suspend services until futher notice with the other 10% seeing this as a chance to get ahead for when everything does bounce back.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tiltman
I was just starting to get back in to fishing so I have no pace of involvement to adjust. I am staying close to my business and doing what I can to relieve expenses and hold on to key people.

I think its too early to say where this will lead economically, and that this "We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes. " is a premature prediction.

I hope I'm wrong but people way smarter than me already know where our GDP and the global GDP is headed as they're already seeing numbers from China, recession is here, depression we shall see. Unemployment is headed toward record numbers in the days/weeks ahead. Not once in our lifetimes have we shuttered businesses, travel, restaurants etc. to the point of non existence. Again, it's unprecedented and while I'm a silver lining type of guy, I think the outcome of this will be catastrophic for many. This isn't a blip.

But I'm more interested in hearing how people plan to spend and adjust their fishing spending/purchases than argue over how bad the outcome is going to be. cheers
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 07:47 PM

Same here, I've been spending every spare dime on fishing tackle and a little jon boat I bought a while back just to get me back out on the water so I could get back into tournament fishing. I've even paid my entry fee into a FLW BFL event as a non boater that for now has been cancelled. I'm working on something right now to get me in a nice bass boat that is a bit of a long shot but if this economy gets tripped up as bad as I think it might, getting into one pretty soon might work out pretty quick.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:03 PM

I think they're doing everything they can to limit the long term impact. This will likely be more severe short term but less severe long term. JMHO

Fishing is going to be like any business - get lean and work hard to provide value.
Posted By: salex

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:12 PM

In the short term the corona virus has not hurt us, except for larger groups (6+) who wanted to lodge in addition to their fishing. We have an outdoor activity and people are feeling couped up. In our case you have the hole lake to yourself, you do not come in contact with anyone. However, longerterm (2 months to 12 months) I'm sure there will be a percentage of our membership who will not be able to renew their membership for fiancial constraints. But, I am optimistic that percentage will be small and that the American economy will come roaring back over the next 12-18 months.

Very few business's are recession proof, but I think we will just fine.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones

I hope I'm wrong but people way smarter than me already know where our GDP and the global GDP is headed as they're already seeing numbers from China, recession is here, depression we shall see. Unemployment is headed toward record numbers in the days/weeks ahead. Not once in our lifetimes have we shuttered businesses, travel, restaurants etc. to the point of non existence. Again, it's unprecedented and while I'm a silver lining type of guy, I think the outcome of this will be catastrophic for many. This isn't a blip.

But I'm more interested in hearing how people plan to spend and adjust their fishing spending/purchases than argue over how bad the outcome is going to be. cheers

I am sure everyone on this forum hopes you are wrong. I am not trying to argue, just don't think its time to take the leap of despair and doom.

It's just not productive thought.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:17 PM

Bass fishing will be way down the list for most of us . Unless you going after something to eat if it is that bad .
Posted By: Chris G

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:42 PM

Here's what I think Mark. The last thing I want to find and read on this awesome website is a post of gloom and doom because of this current situation. No offense to you personally Mark, just tired of the constant negativity, hysteria and fear being promoted. For gosh sake, people are fighting over toilet paper. Yes, this is a serious deal. Some will lose a loved one, some will lose a job or have to take less pay, but the world isn't ending so I wish people would stop acting like it is. If what I have read/heard from people I consider true experts, this will be a 2 month deal if it's handled correctly. Then and only then will we know the long last effects of this.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G
Here's what I think Mark. The last thing I want to find and read on this awesome website is a post of gloom and doom because of this current situation. No offense to you personally Mark, just tired of the constant negativity, hysteria and fear being promoted. For gosh sake, people are fighting over toilet paper. Yes, this is a serious deal. Some will lose a loved one, some will lose a job or have to take less pay, but the world isn't ending so I wish people would stop acting like it is. If what I have read/heard from people I consider true experts, this will be a 2 month deal if it's handled correctly. Then and only then will we know the long last effects of this.

Maybe you missed this part.

So my question for the group here is how will you adjust your fishing, your travel, your spending, your choices looking back at how you handled 2008 and beyond?

For the business owners here, how are you responding now, what did you learn from 08? What is your plan moving forward?

Lastly, how can we all help this sport and the businesses that support it moving forward while many will be battling to keep their jobs, homes and families fed in this crazy time?

I didn't say the world was ending. Let's try to keep it on track. cheers

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by salex
In the short term the corona virus has not hurt us, except for larger groups (6+) who wanted to lodge in addition to their fishing. We have an outdoor activity and people are feeling couped up. In our case you have the hole lake to yourself, you do not come in contact with anyone. However, longerterm (2 months to 12 months) I'm sure there will be a percentage of our membership who will not be able to renew their membership for fiancial constraints. But, I am optimistic that percentage will be small and that the American economy will come roaring back over the next 12-18 months.

Very few business's are recession proof, but I think we will just fine.

I really like the concept of your business, thanks for the insight. Good luck as we navigate!

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:53 PM

I am sure everyone on this forum hopes you are wrong. I am not trying to argue, just don't think its time to take the leap of despair and doom.

It's just not productive thought.

Chris, you were around in 08 though so interested in your thoughts of how you adjusted then or how it impacted your spend around your passion. I'm probably going to have to go remove my first part to get people to answer the questions vs choosing to spin out and argue with me. Lol.

Cheers buddy, hope everyone's doing ok over in your world.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:53 PM

There will be none of us in the fishing business (or any business for that matter) who come out of this unscathed in the coming days/weeks/months ahead. We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

We are already seeing insights from the last several weeks with many of our clients and how their businesses are being affected. We know from the past how the market responds but this is certainly unprecedented.

Your questions were fine but the lead in was all of the same fear, doom and gloom, etc being promoted all over the place. You can do what you want, I just won't be back on this topic again.
Posted By: Jawz

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:58 PM

It's going to be a long tough time for everyone. Have to be tight with cash. Once we get out of this and we will the economy will shoot up like a rocket ship. Not to start a political fight, but going through this is a main reason Trump needs to get reelected. He'll know how to bring us back and I'm sorry but Biden is lost and would bring everything back to the Obama Biden days.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 08:59 PM

There will be none of us in the fishing business (or any business for that matter) who come out of this unscathed in the coming days/weeks/months ahead. We are likely headed for the greatest recession/depression globally that any of us have seen in our lifetimes.

Your questions were fine but the lead in was all of the same fear, doom and gloom, etc being promoted all over the place. You can do what you want, I just won't be back on this topic again.

Removed lead so people don't spin out. cheers
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 09:21 PM

....Some will lose a loved one, some will lose a job or have to take less pay, but the world isn't ending so I wish people would stop acting like it is...

You have to acknowledge the fact that for some, their world is ending or will be changed forever. Many people live paycheck to paycheck and the loss of a job or a reduction in pay has a massive impact for them. I understand what you are saying (for the greater good), but it's logical that some are losing their minds. You can't really minimize the impact it will have for those living on the margins.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 09:23 PM

Still went fishing yesterday. Still bought gas and food on the way. Still had a boat sitting on my best spot when I got there. Not much has changed.
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Still went fishing yesterday. Still bought gas and food on the way. Still had a boat sitting on my best spot when I got there. Not much has changed.

I did too. I have the ability to work from home, so for me personally, not much has changed. But I work in the payments industry and we process billions of transactions a year for businesses of almost all types. I promise that for many, things have changed. We're all connected in a weird way. It sounds like you and I are in a similar position. But we will be impacted by those who aren't as fortunate whether we like it or not.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 10:27 PM

I only got through Econ 101 and 102 in college, but I can foresee this in the short term. For the vast majority of fishermen, fishing is a hobby and thus considered a luxury to a great many consumers in the fishing world. Food before fun, rent before recreation. It will mean boats not purchased or postponed, and guide trips not booked, gear not bought, motels sitting empty, and convenience stores not patronized. There will be a domino effect for areas that are dependent on tourism and fishing for a majority of local income.

The questions will become how deep are the pockets of each business owner? How leveraged is the business? How inexpensively can the business be kept in operation? Pretty basic stuff. I don't see this as a "doom and gloom" scenario. Sometimes recoveries from incidences like this take years to occur (like after the gas crisis of 73), but recover they will. Whether or not me, as a 72-yo retiree, will be able to recover what I've "lost" in asset value during the time I have left is anybody's projection. I hope we come roaring back by the fall of this year. But it'll be a tough summer.

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 10:58 PM

I will be honest, in 2008 I was still in my dealership career up in Sherman, I was coaching fast pitch softball on most weekends and still managing to fish some tournaments. I just don’t remember 2008 slowing me down much. Around that time my main distraction was fighting Ford Motor Company over our online parts sales web URL’s that cost me a ton of income.
Posted By: HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/22/20 11:06 PM

Well, I’m just gonna keep hoarding these fillets just in case this whole deal goes south!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 12:41 AM

Was going to buy a new vehicle but not now. I will continue to fish, buy gas, lures and such. Just no major purchases such as new boat and/or truck
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 12:53 AM

Until the Corona virus hit, it's been business as usual. Fishing is a hobby so it comes lower on the list of purchases and I have other hobbies so fishing has taken a back seat but that had nothing to do with the economy. I won't ever be in the market for a new boat. Electronics, I will be one or two generations behind the new stuff. Fishing tackle I'll be buying the same stuff that I have always bought at about the same frequency. With gas prices being lower, I plan on doing more fishing since a trip cost will be so much lower.
Posted By: champRD

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:03 AM

Ok Jawz, so don't make it political. That ship has sailed. All the politicians have let us down so the last thing we want to talk about is that [censored]. Just hope we can all get on the same page and get through this .
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chris B

dang thats a rough day
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:47 AM

This is the first weekend I haven't fished in a few years, but it was due to all the muddy conditions and the cold front that hit Friday. I don't plan on slowing down, my job didn't slow down after 911 or 08 financial crisis, and I don't think it will slow down now. We specialize in military and govt work and do a lot of FEMA work, and Trump just ordered some huge projects from FEMA, so I have a feeling it's fixin to get crazy for us. I'm looking toward to telling Clay Jenkins to kiss my [censored].
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:47 AM

Worst case scenario I don't buy myself a new GLoomis NRX for my birthday. Outside of that I'm going fishing as much as I always do.
Posted By: RMOROTT21

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:55 AM

To be honest with no upcoming tournaments I will be crappie fishing a lot more
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:56 AM

We will bounce back, but it’s gonna be a bumpy ride for most that have lived past their means for way too long
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 02:08 AM

I think I’ll be OK and will come out of this unscathed because I work in an essential situation and people being at home like this will actually help me long term. The guys I really feel for right now; and it’s because of where I grew up,
Is the guys working in the oil field. The corona virus; I believe, will have little if any effect on them but $20 a barrel oil is going to send most if not all of them to the house with no paycheck. I’ll be sending up prayers for these guys as well as others that will loose work and loose business......
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 02:43 AM

Nothing will change for me. My family has lived on my income alone and everything my wife makes goes into savings, retirement, etc. We are very prepared to live frugally because we already do. This stuff going on is the reason why. We were just fine in 08 and will be through this. Our retirement accounts have lost a lot of money but had made a lot the last three years, just the way IRAs go. We both work in education and we are still working, just from home. I was ordered to come in only 3 days a week, so I actually will be fishing more than usual.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61
Was going to buy a new vehicle but not now. I will continue to fish, buy gas, lures and such. Just no major purchases such as new boat and/or truck

You might be surprised. The price for new vehicles may go down alot.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 04:09 AM

hopefully the whole pricing of the bass fishing industry gets back closer to reality like it used to be.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 10:44 AM

I’ve changed my target species from LMB and SMB to better eating fish
Had several friends and neighbors request I bring them back some fish
I’ve always just done catch and release
Well, not anymore.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
hopefully the whole pricing of the bass fishing industry gets back closer to reality like it used to be.

I'm thinking maybe for a short while, but once things get back to normal everything is going to go even higher to make up for the losses.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 10:58 AM

roflmao
Originally Posted by HEAVY SACK (aka Crankinstein)
Well, I’m just gonna keep hoarding these fillets just in case this whole deal goes south!

[Linked Image]

Posted By: buda13

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 11:41 AM

So very thankful to be in an industry considered essential in all of these declarations. As long as I can still hook up my boat and drive to the lake without getting arrested I will continue to fish and buy the essentials i need. Oil, Line, plastics, sea foam, ect...the plan to upgrade one of my graphs has been put on hold though. Should something change with my job and a mandatory shutdown were to happen I’d have to adjust further but would still find a way to fish even if it meant from the bank.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 12:22 PM

Fewer trips. Probably focusing on lakes closer to home. Things may get so bad I even have to fish Conroe. Purchases will be limited to the bare essentials I need lure wise. Luckily I'm pretty well stocked up. Fishing is a great way to keep your mental health in a good place, but until I know more about how this is all going to play out I'm going to be vastly more frugal.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 01:48 PM

They may lock us down today, if so all the warehouses I ship from will close for short time, there will be nothing but fishing to do. I spent GC money at academy Sat and thats first time I have been in there in months. I am really holding on to all the bread I make now.

Did get a small garden in yesterday!!
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 03:06 PM

I made it through 2008 with my job and recently, I have been telecommuting for the past 3 years, in the banking industry, which is essential business and for that I am thankful. I am making sure my neighbors that may need assistance are good, my family is fed, my animals are fed. Business as usual for me luckily, was stocked up for the spring and summer on baits, now just trying to get stable weather to kick that spawn into gear and catch some fish.

The spots I have been catching may turn into some filets, we shall see.
Posted By: Big C

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 04:36 PM

Being an RN, the work front is fine (actually, even better...........assuming I live through it). I hope to take advantage of the time off and people staying away to have at least more of the lakes to myself.
Posted By: SC 210

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 07:16 PM

I was cutting the amount of money I spend on tackle, rods and reels anyway. I have enough plastic to supply zoom for a year anyway. Was considering buying a new Ranger this year but unless they cut the price a bunch that's out too.
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 07:20 PM

2008/2009 was totally different --- way too many people were living beyond their abilities and the banks were making millions of bad home loans and selling as AAA rated to other countries . Once gas hit $4.00 and rising , people had to make a choice --- buy gas to get to work and be late on your house payment , or pay your house payment and no gas for your vehicles --- truly a "house of cards " -- (documentary). This is totally different . I am in in Technology and companies in China are already ramping back up ( PCB's , substrates , packaging etc...). Other companies are hiring people as fast as they can ( Amazon , Walmart , etc...)
The obvious companies will struggle -- Airlines , Hotels , Restaurants , etc.... Those will recover more slowly and people will most likely change behaviors related to those industries -- both short term and long
term .
Some industries will change for the better ---- medical testing and at home medical will change forever . Remote patient monitoring will be a HUGE growth industry from this . The airlines will also be " forced " to change how they react to outside countries --- especially at certain times of the year .
Lastly , if you lived through 2008/2009 ---- and you are still living paycheck to paycheck ---- that's foolish . EVERY financial person advised strongly to have a minimum of 6 months emergency funds just for these type of things .
As the saying goes " Tough times don't last , but tough people do "
Posted By: speedcrawler

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/23/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by 1oldbassguy
2008/2009 was totally different --- way too many people were living beyond their abilities and the banks were making millions of bad home loans and selling as AAA rated to other countries . Once gas hit $4.00 and rising , people had to make a choice --- buy gas to get to work and be late on your house payment , or pay your house payment and no gas for your vehicles --- truly a "house of cards " -- (documentary). This is totally different . I am in in Technology and companies in China are already ramping back up ( PCB's , substrates , packaging etc...). Other companies are hiring people as fast as they can ( Amazon , Walmart , etc...)
The obvious companies will struggle -- Airlines , Hotels , Restaurants , etc.... Those will recover more slowly and people will most likely change behaviors related to those industries -- both short term and long
term .
Some industries will change for the better ---- medical testing and at home medical will change forever . Remote patient monitoring will be a HUGE growth industry from this . The airlines will also be " forced " to change how they react to outside countries --- especially at certain times of the year .
Lastly , if you lived through 2008/2009 ---- and you are still living paycheck to paycheck ---- that's foolish . EVERY financial person advised strongly to have a minimum of 6 months emergency funds just for these type of things .
As the saying goes " Tough times don't last , but tough people do "

Well put. Luckily, financially I'm not effected to much by this but I know there are many who have been or will be. The big thing America has in it's favor is a strong economy built on sound policies (for the most part). There will be some small businesses that won't make it and some that will. There will be new opportunities for some and lessons learned by others. We are in the best position we could be in to face this and I believe a huge over reaction in our market. I know there are some that are rooting for the failure in our markets because of who's in the White House but they'll be let down again once we bounce back.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: The business of bass fishing during a recession/depression - 03/24/20 12:58 PM

Personally everything will depend on the coming weeks and how my job holds out. Before the Chinese virus hit the Saudis and Russians were in a pissing contest over oil which began the downward spiral in the energy sector. I do some work in the energy sector and it has impacted it immensely. In '08-'09 I worked in a different industry and even made a job change in '09 to a competitor with a raise in comp and better benefits.

We had already scaled back travel and non essential spending but have even more now. I have everything I need for my fishing addiction but had been upgrading quite a few items that I had been using for 30+ years. I had to stop looking and 'horse trading' as it's simply not a need only a want.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum