Texas Fishing Forum

Chatterbait trailer

Posted By: Bobby61

Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 02:49 PM

What do yall recommend for a chatter bait trailer?

Thank you in advance...
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 02:55 PM

Start with a super fluke and go from there
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 03:00 PM

Depends on the profile I'm looking for. For a big profile I like the 4.5" lake fork magic shad. For a smaller profile either the bass pro version of the zako or the Yamamoto zako. Bass pro is only 3.99. For craw imitation I like the rage menace or big bite swimon
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 03:23 PM

Smash Tech
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 03:24 PM

I put a 7 inch swimbait on mine and feel the thump... go big or go home.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 03:49 PM

Yamamoto Zako...designed just for that very reason.
Posted By: JWalls

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 03:59 PM

Zako has been my go to but bought some of the new Big Bite Swimon https://bigbitebaits.com/product/kamikaze-swimon/ after seeing them mentioned in several tournament results. Have not had many opportunities to use them yet but look good and little cheaper. The flamethrower one does look really good on the new jackhammer craw colors.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 04:01 PM

fluke, zako, or keitech boot tail the majority of the time. If i want more action and to keep it high in the water column i'll use a craw trailer
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 04:50 PM

Hog Farmer Spunk Shad

https://www.facebook.com/hogfarmerbaitcompany/videos/585947641957490/

Posted By: S Fatherree

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bobby61
What do yall recommend for a chatter bait trailer?

Thank you in advance...

The skirt color then weight of a chatterbait seem to be the top 2 most important factors in getting bit successfully. Having said that I highly recommend a Yamamoto Zako Swimbait or Yamamoto Swim Senko matched to the color of the skirt for a solid vibrating jig trailer, at the end of the day personal preference and confidence in a plastic are very important in getting bit the most. Good Luck Fishing!
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 06:54 PM

Pork frog 3" trailer
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 06:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: balazs

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 06:57 PM

I use swim senkos, keitech, eeliminator, zako.

These look amazing and I really really want to try them:

https://fmtc.bigcartel.com/product/voo-doo-gill

https://fmtc.bigcartel.com/product/voo-doo-shad
Posted By: balazs

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 07:07 PM

I use swim senkos, keitech, eeliminator, zako.

These look amazing and I really really want to try them:

https://fmtc.bigcartel.com/product/voo-doo-gill

https://fmtc.bigcartel.com/product/voo-doo-shad
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 08:18 PM

depends on depth im needing it to hunt. different profile trailers effect the depth almost as much as the jighead itself
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 08:20 PM

I use a paddle tail fluke most of the time.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 10:05 PM

Usually a 3.5 inch paddle tail. If thats not working, I'll try whatever half used plastic is in the bottom of the boat.
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 10:47 PM

LFT Magic Shad or a simple Split Tail trailer.
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 10:52 PM

Zoom split tail
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/21/20 10:54 PM

Keitech 3.8 swing impact fat
Posted By: Big C

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 01:08 AM

Keitech Swing Impact, usually.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 01:12 AM

Mister Twister 4” twister tail.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 01:30 AM

Strike King Rage Bug. The flat body provides lots of lift and keeps it up and out of the weeds.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 01:58 AM

I do not use a trailer very often but when i do i like a skinny dipper.
Posted By: Top Waters

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 06:13 AM

Lake Fork Magic Shad works really well. A drop or two of super glue at the shank and it stays on for many, many fish.
Posted By: ZX-250

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 02:23 PM

Zako
Posted By: Wavemaker

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 02:45 PM

Tiki Snake the best kept secret ever wavefishing.com . Flat belly raised vertical tail (not a traditional curly tail.

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/22/20 03:36 PM

best secret EVER? wow, roflmao
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/23/20 08:13 PM

Zako. LFT Magic Shad. LFT Swimin Slug when I want a little less action
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/23/20 11:20 PM

I'll probably be in the minority here but 98% of the time I am throwing a bladed jig with no trailer at all. I feel like it dulls the action of the bait. One of the key things that makes a bladed jig so effective is the irregular "hunting action" that some of the bladed jigs possess.

All bladed jigs vibrate back & forth as you pull them through the water. Some have a random kick off to one side then the other as you pull it through the water. This is what separates a good bait from a great bait. If you have a pool nearby take a bunch of lures and throw them out and reel them back steadily. Does the bait simply wobble back & forth? Does it wobble 3-4 times then randomly kick off to one side or the other while your are reeling it steadily along? If it does, then you have a good one. This is what I look for. This is also why many of the pros will pay $30-$40 for a crankbait.

Many times a fish will follow a crankbait or spinnerbait as it is pulled along. Most of us have seen a big fish follow our lure to the boat only to turn away at the last minute. I believe our lure gets the fish's attention and the fish might follow it for a short distance then lose interest because it looks so mechanical. Let that same bait hit a piece of cover and deflect off to one side briefly and that triggers the fish to bite.

Often times to get bit on a crankbait you have to hit something to get the fish to react. It may be a limb, a rock, a piece of grass, or perhaps you simply paused the bait for a second. In a fishery where the fish are naive this may not be the case. You can throw it out and wind it back and the fish will bite it because they have never seen a lure or haven't seen one in a long time. However, in most public lakes, you have to do something with your bait to get bit especially a fishery that gets a lot of pressure like Fork.

I want my bladed jig to be as erratic as possible. I have played with all the trailers and the ZAKO is as good as they come but they all dull the erratic hunting action to some degree. That's why when I am throwing a bladed jig it will most likely be sans trailer.

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/23/20 11:31 PM

^^^ reaction strike vs hunger strike well explained. cheers
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/23/20 11:32 PM

Great post Ken!
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Chatterbait trailer - 03/23/20 11:36 PM

I like the Zman bait that is shaped like a minnow. I don't remember what it is called but it looks good on the jackhammer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum