Texas Fishing Forum

Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method?

Posted By: H2O Seeker

Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 01:54 PM

I searched and did not find this specific topic and am interested in the Supreme Bass Fishing Court of the TFF opinions. I am a braid virgin and like the idea of having a 6 - 10' leader (mono or fluoro) for many reasons but haven't made the plunge just yet. Look forward to the poll and comments.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 01:58 PM

Lefty Kreh leader knot. You won't find an easier knot with it's strength and it is so small.
Posted By: speedcrawler

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 02:06 PM

Double uni
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 02:06 PM

Triple overhand surgeons knot. Absolutely the easiest and strongest knot you can tie for flouro to braid, or mono to braid. Take it to the bank! popcorn
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD
Triple overhand surgeons knot. Absolutely the easiest and strongest knot you can tie for flouro to braid, or mono to braid. Take it to the bank! popcorn

Yup !
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:03 PM

Alberto knot, both braids through the loop in the fluorocarbon.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:23 PM

How strong is double uni knot? fish
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by 4Weight

Yup !

What they said^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
How strong is double uni knot? fish

I've found it to be very strong, but kinda thick even with light lines. It catches a bit on some of my small spinning rod line guides, cuts casting distance down some compared to thinner knots. If your rods don't have micro or quasi-micro guides then no worries with the double uni.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:40 PM

Just watch videos and try different knots. Some of these knots being suggested are an absolute beating to tie on the water. Decide for yourself which you want to tie on the water. The FG knot is a total beating on the water. Sure, easy to tie from your dining room table, but not on a rocking boat in the water.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Just watch videos and try different knots. Some of these knots being suggested are an absolute beating to tie on the water. Decide for yourself which you want to tie on the water. The FG knot is a total beating on the water. Sure, easy to tie from your dining room table, but not on a rocking boat in the water.

That's no joke. Awesome knot when done properly but an absolute p.i.t.a.
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 03:57 PM

Uni-uni is what I use.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by speedcrawler
Double uni

It's hard to beat the uni to uni on strength but it does catch the guides a bit if you have heavier lines.

It's not too hard to tie either. It needs a little line condom to go over it. grin
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 04:11 PM

I can tie the surgeons knot with my eyes closed.

The FG is probably better if you test it but I've used the surgeon on 8 and 10 pound line for a long time with no complaints. I don't know that I've ever broken the line at knot. I try to retie every trip but sometimes forget.
Thats with a 6 to 7 foot leader.
Posted By: red snappa

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 05:37 PM

Yup !

^^

Used for saltwater fishing for years! Up it to four wraps for tuna fishing, so 3 wraps should be good enough for bass fishing! Doesn't get any easier.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 06:36 PM

Regular Alberto. The knot is stronger than the line.
Posted By: bassfishinglawyer

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 06:37 PM

You forgot one: I use braid all the time but don't need no stinkin' leader in the water I fish!
Posted By: Chet

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 06:49 PM

FG is the strongest, thinnest, easiest casting knot known to man. Easiest to tie? Nope just the best.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 07:02 PM

Some form of Berto, it's all I know.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 07:28 PM

Double uni

Same, but it’s because I can reliably tie it. I’m looking at different options, especially because I have micro guides on one of my rods and it creates issues.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 07:33 PM

Dodd knot.....
Posted By: Oldman4750

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 07:37 PM

double uni! flag
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 07:58 PM

30# J-Braid to #10 Spro power swivel to 12 lb flouro leader oh and all knots are PALOMAR
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/19/20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
Lefty Kreh leader knot. You won't find an easier knot with it's strength and it is so small.

Agree with Frank the Tank. You can tie it in 10-15 seconds.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 01:23 AM

Improved Albright
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 01:29 AM

FG all the way
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 01:38 AM

I tie the alberto because it is easy and very small. It's not the strongest but close to the line rating. The line always breaks at the knot, but you have to try in order to break it
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Allison1
I can tie the surgeons knot with my eyes closed.

The FG is probably better if you test it but I've used the surgeon on 8 and 10 pound line for a long time with no complaints. I don't know that I've ever broken the line at knot. I try to retie every trip but sometimes forget.
Thats with a 6 to 7 foot leader.

Allison 1, you are absolutely correct on surgeons knot. Tuff to beat.
Posted By: Marooned

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 03:29 AM

Uni to Uni knot. Easy to tie, and according to Bassmaster Magazine article, retains 90% of line strength.

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean
Double uni

It's hard to beat the uni to uni on strength but it does catch the guides a bit if you have heavier lines.

It's not too hard to tie either. It needs a little line condom to go over it. grin

Thank you Dr. Bean. I have a few rods with micro guides so that is a consideration. Can we test market 'The Knot Condom'?

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by red snappa

Yup !

^^

Used for saltwater fishing for years! Up it to four wraps for tuna fishing, so 3 wraps should be good enough for bass fishing! Doesn't get any easier.

Thank you I will look it up as there were several suggestions for variations of the surgeons knot. I do fish saltwater too and it needs to be easy to tie while wading. Frank mentioned this too and it's on point that any know can be easy to tie at home. On the water is a different scenario.

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by avid_basser
30# J-Braid to #10 Spro power swivel to 12 lb flouro leader oh and all knots are PALOMAR

Interesting set up. Never considered a swivel between the braid and leader. I tie a palomar for everything except topwater baits. This would work in cases where I don't need a longer leader or for the knot to travel through the guides.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker
Originally Posted by avid_basser

Interesting set up. Never considered a swivel between the braid and leader. I tie a palomar for everything except topwater baits. This would work in cases where I don't need a longer leader or for the knot to travel through the guides.

Yeah, I very rarely need to have the lines join when I'm using this method. The swivel is small enough to where it doesn't impact the baits action and it comes through cover the same as a knot in the line.

I do this for quite a few presentations. Primarily drop shot.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 04:04 PM

Double uni if it needs to go through the guides. Surgeons if it doesn't, short leader.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Braid to Fluoro/Mono - What is your preferred knot or method? - 03/20/20 04:27 PM

I've used the Alberto for years but I'm slowly learning the FG. The Alberto hasn't ever let me down FWIW.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum