Texas Fishing Forum

Almost Hate to Ask

Posted By: fouzman

Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:23 AM

$400 and under, what baitcaster are you buying?

Go! Prefer Daiwa or ABU.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:29 AM

Daiwa Tatula Elite 100
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:30 AM

Are those the reels I can't backlash? Mind you, I can backlash ANYTHING!
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:31 AM

Steeze on ebay. May have to shop a bit, but you'll find them.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:33 AM

I'm all in on Curados and those are in the high end for me.

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by fouzman

Yessir...I can leave a couple at my place at Fork if you want to borrow them to try out.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:44 AM

Curados for me.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:50 AM

Metanium, just a hair over 4 bills but the Chronarch 150 are nice for $279.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 01:06 AM

Loving my Daiwa Tatula SV TW reels.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 01:27 AM

My highest end reels are Shimano Bantam MGL's. Pretty much make any $200 reel feel like junk.
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 01:39 AM

Do $400 reels catch more fish? popcorn2
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 01:47 AM

Curado DC. Pocket the $150 change.
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 01:55 AM

REVO MGX-I have a few of these and they have performed very well for me the last few years-pretty sturdy for being very light. I like the mgextreme REVO too but it’s over 400. I have generally been a Shimano guy and the new metanium looks really cool but the older I get every 0.5 oz wt less I like more.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:01 AM

All Curados here.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by H2O Seeker

Nope, but just like having to drive a lot of miles in a car. A Pinto will get you there but an Escalade will make the ride more enjoyable.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:07 AM

I really like the quantum accurist. Now you have to open it up and adjust the breaking. But it casts a mile and is smooth for a price of $99.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:18 AM

I can backlash toilet paper, if I had some. roflmao
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:21 AM

Originally Posted by buggsboy

Right there with ya! Excellent reels.
Posted By: bsouth401

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by JackMason

For the win!
I have use Shimano for years and have several of the E's and 7 or 8 K's. However, I've been buying the Diawa's the last year and love them. The Tatula Sv is by far my favourite so far! It's my dedicated pitching and skipping reel and while it will backlash. I can skip baits way back under docks and cover and rarely backlash. Try one Chris! I think you'll love it!
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:45 AM

The highest end reel I have is a Lew's hyper mag speed spool, and I have no complaints.
Posted By: Zach Starling

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:48 AM

Metaniums here
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:51 AM

Surprised to hear no Zillions
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 03:21 AM

Daiwa Tatula SV for me.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
Surprised to hear no Zillions

I have a couple of Zillions and they are great reels but they perform no better than the Tatula so not worth the extra cost for me.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 03:32 AM

Yes. Cause they tend to last longer. Lol

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by bsouth401
Originally Posted by JackMason

For the win!
I have use Shimano for years and have several of the E's and 7 or 8 K's. However, I've been buying the Diawa's the last year and love them. The Tatula Sv is by far my favourite so far! It's my dedicated pitching and skipping reel and while it will backlash. I can skip baits way back under docks and cover and rarely backlash. Try one Chris! I think you'll love it!

Same here on Shimano. Never thought my Chronarchs would be put away, but they are now. I like the Diawas that much! For heavy duty I've got the Diawa Coastals too. They are just as excellent. I fish salt and fresh so that makes them even better. Highly recommend!!!

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 03:39 AM

Another reel that made the cut for my deck is the Lews Tournament MB. Awesome reel at a good price. Really surprised me on how much I like it.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 09:49 AM

I am switching over to all lews from abu, have 4 of the revo premier and 2 revo winch, still use and like the reels a lot but the lews are some awesome reels.

so far all I have is 2 of the wide hvy duty.

https://www.lews.com/casting/superdutywide
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 10:46 AM

Shimano Core is still my favorite
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 11:56 AM

Ask SW Parts about the upkeep on Daiwa reels. If you’re like me and I’m 90% sure you are, you will just have your group of high end reels and send them in every year or two and boom.... brand new reel. The Steez was my go-to but getting Daiwa replacement parts is a [censored] shoot and they recommended I go with another brand so I’m getting the higher end Shimanos and love the things. I thought the Steez casted further than anything but that’s because I didn’t own the Antares. That new Metanium looks like the cat’s meow but I don’t own one yet. My old Chronarchs are still some of my best casting reels and infinitely adjustable.

I have a whole sack of Abu stuff that I’m really frustrated with. The two Rockets still have great indications because of the speed but my MGX falls apart before the year goes by and all of my SXs and STXs won’t cast across my living room. The Premiers are okay but nothing like the Shimano and Daiwa. As Doc said, weight is getting more important to me the older and more arthritic I get and Shimano isn’t going to win in that category. I have found a strong correlation between weight and durability though which I guess makes sense. Magnesium parts aren’t as strong so they come at a price. You can over engage the drag on your MGX and hurt its casting distance where the Antares has as much drag force as you can pull with your hand and minutely adjustable.

Someone asked if the more expensive reels catch more fish and I’d say that they so much less frustrating than the lesser Chinese stuff. My Bass Pro reels lasted a year and watching it decline each trip was a hassle. Such a confusing but fun quest!

Good luck Chris.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Fishspanker
Curado DC. Pocket the $150 change.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:00 PM

You haven’t found that the DC decreases your pitching / skipping distance? My buddy loved that little chip but it seemed like it braked too much and kept him from getting very far under docks. Now that’s just my assumption as I’ve never used one just seen them used.
Posted By: RickyBobby4

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:16 PM

I haven't bought anything other than the Tatula line in the past 3 years. Can't go wrong with them in my opinion. Great prices too.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 12:47 PM

I have Bass Pro Proqualifier reels that have been fished hard for five years with nothing more than an occasional cleaning and lube. And I am not regular about that. Of course my thought process is I had rather have many rigs at a lesser cost per rig. I hate stopping to re-tie. So my use when I am on the water is usually spread amongst several reels.

That’s not to say that I am not interested in nicer reels. But currently am in the mode of upgrading my rods.

It is interesting to hear that SW parts has issues getting parts for Diawa. With that little tidbit and based on previous experience if I was going to start dumping change on expensive reels it would have to be Shimano I suppose. Amazing how they have managed to be the gold standard in quality reels for literally decades.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 01:17 PM

For those who have a problem with back lashes.. A resounding YES.
Have you never got in a feeding frenzy and caught several while your partner was digging out a backlash or vice versa.
High end Diawa and Lews for me.
IMO regular maintenance goes a long way In West Texas.. With the availability of parts I figure those High end reels will out last me.
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:18 PM

I have reels abounding!! They are like golf clubs, always get the latest and greatest, and then go back to something you've had for ten years. Same with rods, although I have finally settled on Kistler. Reels, I have everything from Steez to bass pro, I LOVE'EM ALL!!! They will all catch fish, DUH! fish
Posted By: jhadaway117

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:19 PM

CURADO'S
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:25 PM

H2O Mettle..... LEGIT
Posted By: LFA17

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 02:34 PM

Tatula SV TWS, $199 and the best reels I have owned. Trade in old reel at BassPro and get a $30 discount.
Posted By: Basscat8263

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 03:07 PM

shimano slx dc. Not supposed to be able to backlash these due to the digital control but I can backlash them. Less than $200.

I agree with the Curado's also. Sweet reels!

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 04:50 PM

Another issue with Daiwa is that you can’t hardly find one without the “T Wing” System. If you learned to fish by keeping your finger on the line to feel the more subtle bites, it’s almost impossible not to spool all of your line over on one side of the reel. If you don’t palm your reels and keep a finger on your line it’s a non-issue but I can’t say that’s a habit I want to break. Obviously I’m in the minority as most of their models have now adopted that.

I’d be interested to see what people thought about those newer brands like Favorite, etc.

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean
Another issue with Daiwa is that you can’t hardly find one without the “T Wing” System. If you learned to fish by keeping your finger on the line to feel the more subtle bites, it’s almost impossible not to spool all of your line over on one side of the reel. If you don’t palm your reels and keep a finger on your line it’s a non-issue but I can’t say that’s a habit I want to break. Obviously I’m in the minority as most of their models have now adopted that.

I’d be interested to see what people thought about those newer brands like Favorite, etc.

Daiwa Fuego.
Posted By: dark water

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 06:39 PM

I have curado and really like it, recently bought two H2O's from academy for $40 apeice, love them, plenty good enough for me
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Frank the Tank
H2O Mettle..... LEGIT

Legit backlash king
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/18/20 08:38 PM

I would load up on the new Metanium's If I had money to burn like that. They are the best reel out right now IMO
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 04:37 PM

As stated above, the Daiwa Fuego is a great reel, but with no t-wing. I know some guides on Fork that use them.
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 04:43 PM

2012 Exsence DC with the Big Bait braking setting
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 04:44 PM

Johnny Morris Platinum . According to my reel cleaner they are as good as all the Shimanos I own. But then I don't have $400 Shimanos.
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 07:01 PM

I could not even imagine spending 400 dollars for a reel.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 07:39 PM

Go! Prefer Daiwa or ABU.

You're okay. You didn't ask for the "best" bait caster.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 07:52 PM

Go! Prefer Daiwa or ABU.

shopping on ebay

lews hyper mag gets my pick. they are lw and very smooth. I like them for braid and 20 lb floro over any t wing daiwa etc.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/21/20 08:16 PM

I’ve become a Daiwa guy over the last 3 years. I haven’t used any of their high-end models but love every Tatula model I’ve used.

Like Doc Bean said about the T-Wing system, I’ve always been a guy with his finger under the line, holding it up. Now I have the line under my finger, pressing the line down. It took a little but, but it’s second nature now and everything spools correctly on each cast.
Posted By: Big C

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 01:00 AM

Nope. Not a single one. Most of my stuff is enthusiast level and as a result, I have caught "ZERO" more fish than I would have with a Johnny Morris SPecial reel. Once again proving, it ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by BThomas
I really like the quantum accurist. Now you have to open it up and adjust the breaking. But it casts a mile and is smooth for a price of $99.

[Linked Image]

You adjust it to break it? Why do that if it's working? I bet you meant you adjust the braking mechanism?
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by JacksonBean

Ask SW Parts about the upkeep on Daiwa reels. If you’re like me and I’m 90% sure you are, you will just have your group of high end reels and send them in every year or two and boom.... brand new reel. The Steez was my go-to but getting Daiwa replacement parts is a [censored] shoot and they recommended I go with another brand so I’m getting the higher end Shimanos and love the things. I thought the Steez casted further than anything but that’s because I didn’t own the Antares. That new Metanium looks like the cat’s meow but I don’t own one yet. My old Chronarchs are still some of my best casting reels and infinitely adjustable.

I have a whole sack of Abu stuff that I’m really frustrated with. The two Rockets still have great indications because of the speed but my MGX falls apart before the year goes by and all of my SXs and STXs won’t cast across my living room. The Premiers are okay but nothing like the Shimano and Daiwa. As Doc said, weight is getting more important to me the older and more arthritic I get and Shimano isn’t going to win in that category. I have found a strong correlation between weight and durability though which I guess makes sense. Magnesium parts aren’t as strong so they come at a price. You can over engage the drag on your MGX and hurt its casting distance where the Antares has as much drag force as you can pull with your hand and minutely adjustable.

Someone asked if the more expensive reels catch more fish and I’d say that they so much less frustrating than the lesser Chinese stuff. My Bass Pro reels lasted a year and watching it decline each trip was a hassle. Such a confusing but fun quest!

Good luck Chris.

Same issue with Lew’s I’ve found is getting parts. They are worthless and have been sold 2 or 3 times and no support.

Now about those Abu’s you can’t get dialed in...when you give up on them send me a message and we will gladly take them off your hands if priced right.
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 02:13 AM

And Fouz, the Revo S the white reel is by far and away the best value and casts awesome.

Add some EVA foam grips and run it till breaks.

Throw away and get another. Screw waiting 3-4 months on a new one and paying $3-4 hundy on a fancy reel.

I think what I’m reading here is it is all perspective. Everyone wipes their [censored] different, yet gets the same results.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 02:43 AM

Any of the Concept reels will run circles around the rest
Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 04:03 AM

Daiwa over abu for the most part but there are a couple abus I like
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 04:54 AM

sounds to me like after all this there is still no definitive answer and he should buy an Abu, Lews, and Daiwa high end reels and see which one he likes.
Posted By: Rube G.

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 10:54 AM

Shimano
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Almost Hate to Ask - 03/22/20 03:06 PM

only use Japanese made shimano reels, proven over decades.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum