Texas Fishing Forum

New techniques

Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

New techniques - 03/14/20 09:10 PM

I'm looking to broaden my knowledge when it comes to catching the old ditch pickle. I'm planning on trying to master a new technique this year by trying stuff I never do. Give me some options on both moving bait presentations and also a slower technique. Thanks!
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: New techniques - 03/14/20 10:08 PM

Before I started guiding, I spent a TON of time on the water, doing just like you are doing this year. When I finished over 5 years of work, I had CONFIDENCE IN MYSELF to figure the fish out. It is TUFF to do, to get that amount of confidence, but I still have it today. I KNOW I AM GOING TO CATCH A FISH, that often leads to catching fish in odd ways and strange circumstances. One time, using a Texas rig, I put a frog on and proceeded to catch a LOT of fish. Try thinking outside the box as you learn. It should help you get over tuff situations. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: boocat

Re: New techniques - 03/14/20 10:11 PM

my "new to me" thing will be ned
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: New techniques - 03/14/20 11:14 PM

my new thing this year will be the "cat" rig. Tried it on Thursday with no results. May need clearer water.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 12:17 AM

I’m trying to master drop shot.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 12:42 AM

I need to re-learn spinner baits and cranks. I've been so stuck on throwing plastics, that I feel I was becoming a one trick pony. It's time to pick up some older techniques and get back on them in other ways.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 02:09 AM

Chatterbait.... Can be fished all year under nearly every condition and catches big fish.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Watching MLF reminds me how high the pros hold their pole on drop shot or wacky. I have been guilty of dropping more to a 45 degree angle. These guys hold it perpendicular to the ground to get the max feeling in the pole. Then when the fish start to run, they drop it to the 45 and then set the hook.
Posted By: GHSTgoesBOO

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Greg W

Watching MLF reminds me how high the pros hold their pole on drop shot or wacky. I have been guilty of dropping more to a 45 degree angle. These guys hold it perpendicular to the ground to get the max feeling in the pole. Then when the fish start to run, they drop it to the 45 and then set the hook.

Yep. And those guys are using HD drop shots too.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by GHSTgoesBOO
Originally Posted by Greg W

Yep. And those guys are using HD drop shots too.

So what's the advantage. It's not very hard to tie a palomar knot drop shot rig. Why use an rig like this. Seems like it's more for the fish to see.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 06:12 PM

I'm always refining old ways to be better at each. I keep upgrading my Chatterbait styles to see which way works on different lakes.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: New techniques - 03/15/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Chatterbait.... Can be fished all year under nearly every condition and catches big fish.

Jarrett, what size and color chatterbait do you throw on these clear lakes like Travis and Belton? I don't do nearly as well on these lakes with the chatterbait as on other lakes unless there is a shad spawn going on.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum