Texas Fishing Forum

Amistad

Posted By: RickS

Amistad - 03/10/20 12:31 PM

Heading to Amistad for the first time this Saturday. My wife is new to bass fishing and would love to put her on some fish. I've been to Fork twice and know how tough fishing can be in Texas! I'm looking for tips on which areas of the lake to start and what techniques I should focus on. Does Amistad fish big? Do I need a Mexican fishing license ? Or should I stay on the US side? I am a catch and release weekend angler. I appreciate any advice. I read that Florida strain bass will stay in the main lake? That running the river arms only produce small fish..??? Is there still hydrilla? Is hydrilla different than grass?
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Amistad - 03/10/20 12:58 PM

Stan has a good report on the freshwater page.
Fished the Sun Country tournament 10 days ago and fish were still moving in and out. Should be a big wave bedding now. A lot of fish will be caught on the inside line of Hydrilla. Depending on the area your in and water clarity hydrilla was growing from 4-8' on the inside and 14-20' on the outside.. which is changing as we speak because they are pulling a LOT of water.
Lots of Hydrilla in California creek, Evans and San Pedro areas as well as Little and big Zorrow. Can't go wrong with a seinko this time of year.
Notoriously not many tournaments won up river, but you can get bit.
You can get by without a Mexico license, but your limiting yourself.. I fish a lot in Mexico. See Gail at Amistad marine she can get them.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Amistad - 03/10/20 01:08 PM

I think federation state championship there this weekend?
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Amistad - 03/10/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
I think federation state championship there this weekend?

Yes they are. Losing a lot of water quickly. Diablo will be busy. Stay shallow, no need to go to MX although we fished it for the TTZ. Like fishnfireman said find the hydrilla and fish very slow..
Posted By: heb-bass

Re: Amistad - 03/11/20 01:50 AM

Here now. Caught 40+ today. Everything mentioned above. Shallow and S-L-O-W.
Posted By: RickS

Re: Amistad - 03/11/20 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone for the tips! Hope everyone has fabulous fishing this year!

Re: Amistad - 03/11/20 02:03 PM

thumb fish
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Amistad - 03/15/20 06:58 PM

Shallow and Slow is best advise. Also keep you casts as long as possible to keep from spooking the fish.

Re: Amistad - 03/15/20 07:02 PM

thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum