Texas Fishing Forum

Bassmaster Magazine

Posted By: PhishWhisperer

Bassmaster Magazine - 03/09/20 10:18 PM

I received my March 2020 Bassmaster Magazine in the mail today. (March 9) It's so thin it only has one side!

I've subscribed to the Magazine for 50 years, and I've always read every word front to back. I always considered Bassmaster Magazine THE authority on techniques to catch bass. In recent times, however, it doesn't have the same appeal to me that it used to have.

Don't get me wrong. It's a first-class outdoor publication. It is nicely laid out and still has the great graphics. Maybe I just don't appreciate all the detailed info about the neo-Elite pro fishermen and their philosophies. The Magazine is getting smaller and good fishing articles seem to becoming fewer.

I really don't want to make a list of issues to rave about. I'm just curious if I'm in the minority of subscribers who have lost interest in the Magazine.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/09/20 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by PhishWhisperer
I received my March 2020 Bassmaster Magazine in the mail today. (March 9) It's so thin it only has one side!

I've subscribed to the Magazine for 50 years, and I've always read every word front to back. I always considered Bassmaster Magazine THE authority on techniques to catch bass. In recent times, however, it doesn't have the same appeal to me that it used to have.

Don't get me wrong. It's a first-class outdoor publication. It is nicely laid out and still has the great graphics. Maybe I just don't appreciate all the detailed info about the neo-Elite pro fishermen and their philosophies. The Magazine is getting smaller and good fishing articles seem to becoming fewer.

I really don't want to make a list of issues to rave about. I'm just curious if I'm in the minority of subscribers who have lost interest in the Magazine.

Got mine yesterday too. My wife said “you read that fast”. I said I skimmed through it. It is getting less and less exciting to read for sure.

How many ways can you fish anTxRig? Lol.
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/09/20 10:38 PM

After over 40 years, I did not renew my subscription this year, only reason I stayed for years was the mag. It just got where there was just too much advertisements. I did enjoy the hats..!
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/09/20 11:57 PM

I got mine today and agree with you.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 12:00 AM

Same here. I used to get Bassin too. Is it better? Any better choices?
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 12:10 AM

All mags are like this today. Dinosaurs!
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 12:20 AM

Got mine today as well but haven't looked at it yet. I aint going to complain though since I get my subscription for free from a well known tackle retailer. Guess that's one of the perks for spending to much dang money with them. hammer
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 12:24 AM

Don't know if its still the same but back when I was a FLW member their magazine was much better than bassmaster at the time, much thicker but the best one was Bass West, great publication for the west coast, unsure how it is today either.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 12:48 AM

What’s a magazine?
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61
What’s a magazine?

Exactly.... everything is digitally available nowadays. So much info out there I don't see magazines being around more than 5 more years. Similar to newspapers
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 01:05 AM

I've dropped my subscription.

Blame it on Big O !
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Originally Posted by machoblanco61
What’s a magazine?

Exactly.... everything is digitally available nowadays. So much info out there I don't see magazines being around more than 5 more years. Similar to newspapers

Most printed magazines are already gone and wouldn't be surprised if its less than 5 years before all become extinct with a few exceptions. Olds like Readers Digest so they may survive a few extra years but both will die off soon enough.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 01:16 AM

I dropped mine several years ago. hide2
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 01:53 AM

I still enjoy getting Bassmaster, BASS Times and Bass Angler magazines.
Posted By: champRD

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 02:06 AM

Yep, agree with you Mark. It still has it place to read with out a laptop or a bright a$$ screen before I go to bed. To each his own. Great for bathroom also, Lol. Don't tell me it cost to much considering the amount of money we blow on baits that never see the light of day.
Posted By: TOMCAT21

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 03:45 AM

I’ve found myself reading ‘Day on the Lake’ but not much else. I won’t be renewing.
Posted By: Verkeith

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 03:54 AM

..great dumping device
Posted By: John Peebles

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 04:17 AM

My dad still gets Bassmaster as well, that was the first thing I noticed when I picked it up. It looked like it was about 20 pages and half of those were ads.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 07:05 AM

Count the pages of advertising vs articles then count the ones worth reading.
That’s why I don’t get it anymore.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 11:46 AM

If I wasn't a lifetime member I don't think I would subscribe to the magazine.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 11:57 AM

I hadn't had a subscription in years...….
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 11:59 AM

I like putting them out for décor around the office and the living room.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 03:28 PM

next time you are waiting in a doctors office or barbershop notice how many people are reading magazines vs. looking at their cell phones....and that is why magazines and newspapers are becoming dinosaurs...
I live on a short cul de sac street with 12 houses...28 years ago when I moved here,every house was a subscriber to the daily newspaper...now I'm the only subscriber....
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by basscaster46
Count the pages of advertising vs articles then count the ones worth reading.
That’s why I don’t get it anymore.

I did that a few years back as I had just about every issue of it saved. I pulled the same month issue from each decade. The ad counts were the same or even less these days. From that little experiment I learned that the ads taking up more space really was not as accurate as some say.
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 04:30 PM

I'm a lifetime member and have saved all my magazines throughout the years. They def feel like they have less pages now though I'd need to go count from a few years ago to know an exact number. I enjoy the "day on the lake" article the most but usually something is in there explaining a "new" trend or lure usage and that is always interesting. At least we still get Bassmaster monthly as some of the other mags are like quarterly. Still get the BASS Times as well so that's 2 mags a year and I enjoy reading the results from all the recent tourneys in that one.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/10/20 05:42 PM

Only reason I re-subscribed this year was the offer for the 4 or 5 baits. More or less just paid for them and get the magazine for a year. I had let it go for almost 3 months and didn't miss it. Got my march issue in mail last night and didn't even look at the cover picture.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Bassmaster Magazine - 03/15/20 06:50 PM

Not much to it anymore, just advertisements. No good stories to improve personal fishing. Many have dropped subscriptions.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum