Posted By: Mark Perry

Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:25 AM

Yes or no?
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:28 AM

Yes, likely from the rumors
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:32 AM

Yes. Didn’t Conroe set some attendance records?

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Jones

bolt
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX

No actually the attendance was little disappointing but they picked a bad weekend in Houston to do it. A couple weekends earlier like the the weekend it is this year would have been better.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:59 AM

I hope so.

Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville (the old La Torretta resort on Lake Conroe) is set to open up this summer.
Posted By: mikey_ batts

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 02:27 AM

Texoma and WinStar would be cool, but I don’t see that happening for a classic. I don’t see many lakes in Texas that have a large enough convention center close enough and willing to pay the money, but I really hope to see it back in Texas sooner rather than later
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 02:34 AM

I wanna see a professional tournament on Lake Houston to see what their numbers look like
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by mikey_ batts
Texoma and WinStar would be cool, but I don’t see that happening for a classic. I don’t see many lakes in Texas that have a large enough convention center close enough and willing to pay the money, but I really hope to see it back in Texas sooner rather than later

I went the time the Elites series did Texoma 5 years ago, fan turnout was dismal for that alone I don't see them going back to Texoma any time soon if ever.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 02:52 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429
I wanna see a professional tournament on Lake Houston to see what their numbers look like

I wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Place is a mud hole. I live 15 minutes from there. The additional 40 to Conroe is more than worth it,
Posted By: P_102

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:33 AM

Unfortunately the last time it was on Texoma there was a 7 fish limit and not a single limit was weighed throughout the entire tournament.....
Doubt it will go back there. Also unfortunately, it’s now more about drawing crowds and their money than it is about the best fisherman so many, many great fisheries are passed over. I would like to see it go back to the “secret lake” format.....with today’s technology it could be a secret until the minute they launch, then be available online or broadcast.
Posted By: JD/76708

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:42 AM

Yes...within the next 4 years...

Eventually one will be held in the Metro-mess area....
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by SC-001

No actually the attendance was little disappointing but they picked a bad weekend in Houston to do it. A couple weekends earlier like the the weekend it is this year would have been better.

So during the Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo? hmmm

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

It was the last weekend of the rodeo the last time it was here.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:25 AM

Originally Posted by Monty Wright
Originally Posted by BigDozer66

It was the last weekend of the rodeo the last time it was here.

I would think that isn't a good idea but it might not make any difference since it isn't downtown Houston.
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:31 AM

Yes.

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

bolt

Lol
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:06 PM

Yes, They will get another and more after that

Unless they go bankrupt or out of business...…….…………..
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:27 PM

I can see RedRanger in the Classic in a couple years or so......
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 12:59 PM

Man on the street...
Posted By: BCB

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 02:09 PM

Texas never had a newer Outdoors Show Classic before and those anglers in Texas have limited understanding of everything wrapped around one. We don’t know on another Houston Classic. Dallas had no interest in this on a couple of attempts and we think downtown Dallas is the perfect location with lakes in a reasonable proximity.

We thought the Houston would set records on attendance and we obviously were excited to see it on Conroe. Unfortunately it was not a record setting Classic and Texas bass fishing enthusiasts went fishing themselves that weekend. They missed a wonderful opportunity to get more understanding on what makes their sport have the power to offer the amenities they enjoy.

The next decision on another Texas Bassmaster Classic will swing on the lower participation in the prior Houston event, and the unknown on if it will produce more participation a second time.

Tulsa, Birmingham, Shreveport and other have offered what the sport and Bassmaster needs to bring them back,
Knoxville rocked!

To be fair, the West Coast has a Very limited understand of impact the Classic has on their activity in the sport as they are disconnected from it. I doubt we ever see a west coast Classic as the dice roll would be too risky.

Rick Pierce
BCB
Posted By: basseditor

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:00 PM

When it was in Houston, I did my part to support the vendors.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BCB
Texas never had a newer Outdoors Show Classic before and those anglers in Texas have limited understanding of everything wrapped around one. We don’t know on another Houston Classic. Dallas had no interest in this on a couple of attempts and we think downtown Dallas is the perfect location with lakes in a reasonable proximity.

We thought the Houston would set records on attendance and we obviously were excited to see it on Conroe. Unfortunately it was not a record setting Classic and Texas bass fishing enthusiasts went fishing themselves that weekend. They missed a wonderful opportunity to get more understanding on what makes their sport have the power to offer the amenities they enjoy.

The next decision on another Texas Bassmaster Classic will swing on the lower participation in the prior Houston event, and the unknown on if it will produce more participation a second time.

Tulsa, Birmingham, Shreveport and other have offered what the sport and Bassmaster needs to bring them back,
Knoxville rocked!

To be fair, the West Coast has a Very limited understand of impact the Classic has on their activity in the sport as they are disconnected from it. I doubt we ever see a west coast Classic as the dice roll would be too risky.

Rick Pierce
BCB

Dallas is packed with people who already travel to your events out of state. Your evaluation would be more accurate to say the funding is not there, as there is and has always been lots of interest. While you think downtown would be a perfect place to hold your event, the vast majority of fisherman in Texas would avoid downtown Dallas like the plague. We would love to have a North Texas, or East Texas Classic, but Dallas sucks
Posted By: BCB

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:17 PM

Actually, our conversation extends to the powers inside Dallas and not the anglers themselves. Bassmaster has considered a Dallas Classic, through engaging previous administrations of committees who would make those decisions.

Originally Posted by outfishdya
Dallas is packed with people who already travel to your events out of state. Your evaluation would be more accurate to say the funding is not there, as there is and has always been lots of interest. While you think downtown would be a perfect place to hold your event, the vast majority of fisherman in Texas would avoid downtown Dallas like the plague. We would love to have a North Texas, or East Texas Classic, but Dallas sucks

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:18 PM

It is a fact that Texas anglers do not turn out like anglers do in other states for the Classic and other BASS related events. Too much going on in these larger markets I guess. I would still enjoy another one here at home and I enjoyed the one in Houston.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:55 PM

they have rumored ray hubbard and Lewisville for decades, cities wont pay up the money. you need airports, convention centers, hotels and cash.

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
they have rumored ray hubbard and Lewisville for decades, cities wont pay up the money. you need airports, convention centers, hotels and cash.

So its cash?

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 03:58 PM

yes

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:01 PM

So its cash?

The Classic host fee is a very big fee.

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:04 PM

So its cash?

Kind of a catch 22 there. Need the crowds to get the fee, but can't draw the crowds needed to earn the fee.
Big O should chime in and tell us how Texas fisherman dont deserve another classic....

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:08 PM

So its cash?

Kind of a catch 22 there. Need the crowds to get the fee, but can't draw the crowds needed to earn the fee.

The Classic has a very big local economic impact but cities like Dallas & Houston are on another level over a Tulsa or Birmingham in terms of their expectations and scale of events they're used to.

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 04:08 PM

So its cash?

Big O should chime in and tell us how Texas fisherman dont deserve another classic....

need the city of dallas to front the fee, then the crowds will follow. old news, really old...
Posted By: champion man

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/07/20 07:54 PM

Anyone remember when the pros fished White Rock , talk about a mud hole
However fish were caught .

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/09/20 06:09 PM

Well it looks like Grand Lake is out of the running now.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/loc...d8dadb5-fc58-5585-98c7-5304a34dc2c0.html
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/09/20 06:31 PM

Yes

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/09/20 08:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the next one is at Hartwell.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/09/20 09:10 PM

Didn't BASS do something in Frisco, when Toyota Texas held a Ray Roberts event and it was a flop at least the part in Frisco was.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/09/20 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by champion man

Some good fish in White Rock. Scott Gordon MC'd the 100 years of White Rock bass tournament. It was a fun little tournament.
Posted By: Ken Starling

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/09/20 10:57 PM

Yes sir, we caught a few good fish
Originally Posted by BThomas
Originally Posted by champion man

Some good fish in White Rock. Scott Gordon MC'd the 100 years of White Rock bass tournament. It was a fun little tournament.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/10/20 04:36 AM

Seems to me it would be far more likely to get something done with Ft worth/ Tarrant County. Some decent lakes within reasonable range. Nothing productive ever comes from dealing with the idiot powers that be in Dallas. Literally the lowest life forms on the planet run that city.
Posted By: 1bas

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/10/20 04:46 AM

I bet Jerry Jones would pay the money, if they would weigh in in his stadium.
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Will Texas get another Classic? - 03/10/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
Me too but I would think these guys may could figure something out on the lake. But it would be a great day for prop and lower unit sales and service.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum