Texas Fishing Forum

Big bass Bait’s

Posted By: Rippinlips4

Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 04:01 PM

Best bait to throw to catch 3 pounders and up?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 04:28 PM

Many variables here the mood of the fish. That big fish bait changes with the conditions; but I have caught the most on the large Brush Hog dragging a Crig. in 20 ft. of water.
Posted By: RKT

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 04:28 PM

There's no magic bait. It's using the correct bait for the application and the conditions. If someone answers this question with a specific bait name then they are probably wrong. Of course some baits catch big bass like large swimbaits but they limit the bites. Baits that catch small bass also catch large bass.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 04:31 PM

Zoom ol monster crig or tx rigged if I had one bait to throw. Chatterbait would be a close second but the ol monster big worm can be fished year round any depth
Posted By: Basscat8263

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 04:37 PM

jig
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 05:30 PM

Location you are fishing is significantly more important than the lure you are using.
If you want to catch big bass, fish where the big bass are living.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 05:37 PM

Jig, frog
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by RKT
There's no magic bait. It's using the correct bait for the application and the conditions. If someone answers this question with a specific bait name then they are probably wrong. Of course some baits catch big bass like large swimbaits but they limit the bites. Baits that catch small bass also catch large bass.

You are right but big swimbait is definitely a place I would start. They will limit bites but if you are trying to target big fish you shouldn't care about the lack of catches.
Posted By: Bass Bug

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 05:44 PM

bigger minnows I would think
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 06:17 PM

I have almost forgot how to catch bass but I still am enough of a fishing nerd that I still keep a log of fish I catch 4 lb range or better. With my limited time on the water last year I caught 7 fish in that range. 3 were caught on a Chatterbait, 3 were caught on a Baby Brush Hog and 1 was caught on a LFT CrawTube. I caught them on those baits because they are the baits I use. I think those fish could have been caught by someone else using Spinnerbait, Buzzbait, Swimbait, Topwater, Crankbaits, Jigs, and any of the hundreds of soft plastics like Worms, Lizards, Craws, etc. It is just being in the right area at the right time.
Posted By: Krappie-King

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 06:18 PM

8 inch crappie hooked in the back. bolt
Posted By: rcjoutdoors

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 09:32 PM

6+ inch Glidebait/Swimbait
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 09:48 PM

The old rule "Big baits for Big fish" can definitely apply. OTOH, I caught my biggest largemouth on a 4" grub in February. Putting the bait in front of the fish is THE most important thing.
Posted By: SAdoc

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/04/20 11:51 PM

Waterdogs. JK ( sort of).
I have caught the majority of my really nice (7+ lbs) bass over the years on buzz baits.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 02:41 AM

Jig is the best big bait of all time. Spinnerbait second. Live bait doesn't count.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 02:53 AM

My PB is 8lbs and caught it on a crappie rod fishing off a dock with a minnow. I fish for crappie maybe once or twice a year. Go figure.
Posted By: sdavis24

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by CCTX
Location you are fishing is significantly more important than the lure you are using.
If you want to catch big bass, fish where the big bass are living.

Hard to argue with this. I think Jigs/soft plastics are more likely to fool a larger bass
Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 03:52 AM

12.5lbs , 4.5" straight tail worm , C-Rigged on 10lb flouro
11.4lbs , spinnerbait --1/2oz , in 5 foot of weedy water
11.2lbs , 5" wacky senko ( green pumpkin ) , no weight , less than 5 foot of dirty water in middle of a hot summer

big baits work , but I think they limit your success a little . I believe in finding big fish ---- depth ,location and main forage are more important.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 04:07 AM

Jig and big plug
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 04:22 AM

dropshot
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 04:29 AM

Vibrating jig for me
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/05/20 01:38 PM

I have caught 10+ # on a 1/4 oz spinner, tossed in shallow water this time of yr.

caught my pb on a 4" bluegill H2/0 from academy, 14.8

[Linked Image]

like others have said, bait in front of a feeding fish is how it happens, as long as the bait is what they consider food.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/16/20 01:03 PM

4 inch lizard at the present.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Big bass Bait’s - 03/16/20 03:39 PM

The four best sticks I know and fish with have a total of five double digit fish between them. When we compete in a standard five-fish bag paradigm they are all arguably more proficient than I am. But I have 31 bass over ten pounds. Without question the difference is I spend the majority of time throwing medium to large swimbaits and although they all have them they rarely throw them. Just saying.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum