Texas Fishing Forum

Define a "good" fishing day

Posted By: Bass Buster1

Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 10:46 PM

Ray Roberts thread got me thinking about the definition of a lake that is fishing "Good". For me I like to get bit and bit a lot. Even if I catch a big fish or two, a day when I only get a few bites I consider slow. I would much rather catch 20 plus 1-3 pound fish than fish all day for 2 or 3 big fish. Sam Rayburn the other day we caught fish all day, no tanks like those couple of huge sacks but caught fish all day for the most part. Same thing at Squaw, caught fish all day. I would consider both of those lakes as fishing great! What needs to happen for you to consider a lake as fishing good? Not disputing anyone here, everyone is different, just curious...
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 10:51 PM

I’m with you over numbers of 1-3 pounders vs slow, unless I catch a PB and that’s all I catch all day. I could be happy with that.

I feel like if I’m catching a bunch of fish, there is a better chance I get a bigger one, plus I’m not frustrated or bored.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:13 PM

Seeing the Lord's creations and watching the sun come up or go down. Hearing the sounds of the lake ... crickets, owls, etc.

But then again, I almost died 5 years ago and every day on this earth is a special day. Days spent fishing are some of the better ones. Catching is just a bonus.
Posted By: tricky

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:33 PM

If I fish all day long and nothing on my boat or trailer breaks.
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:37 PM

thumb
Posted By: Snug

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:42 PM

I find more lures than I lose.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:44 PM

I guess a good day is different for everyone. When I'm on most lakes I set out to catch a 20 pound sack. I don't care if its 2 or best five to get there. 20 one pounders is not my idea of a good day. That's a 5 pound sack and therefore a bad day.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:50 PM

I'll take 5 3lbrs,right now though a few bites and a sunburn sounds good
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:57 PM

A good day for me can be a lot of things. Some days it's just seeing nature but most days it's when I figure out how to catch bigger then average fish. Like Rayburn, average fish is around 2.5lbs, a g por day for me is figuring out how to catch 4+ lb. fish. Finding that spot or pattern is fun. My wife finally figured me out one day, now she knows if I say I had an ok day I caught a bunch of average fish, if I had a good day I figured them out.
Now if a lake is fishing good? I remember a fall frog bite on rayburn a few years back. Just crazy fun all day. It was fishing great. But even when I think a lake is fishing good somebody can get skunked fishing it differently.
Posted By: K3913

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/27/20 11:59 PM

For me, 10 fish in a day, any size any species over 1 lb ea.
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 12:44 AM

Any day I can get out. Pretty simple for me
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 12:54 AM

Not to sound jaded at all but Lake Fork of 1994 and Lake Fork of 2019 is two completely different animals. The LF of 1989-1994 set expectations that may never be realized again. It was that good. A "Good day" on Fork on a typical summer day would be 30-40 fish with 20 over 5 pounds and an 8 or better that day. I am being very serious. That was just a good day.

I've had to lower my expectations drastically over the past 10 years or get my feelings hurt at Fork. Last summer a good day for me (full disclosure) was 10 fish with 1 over 5 pounds.

Not bagging on Fork because I love her but she beat me up pretty good over the past two years. frown
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 01:00 AM

a good day of fishing to me is when you get home & nothing is broke.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 01:03 AM

Finishing in the money. It’s as good as it gets for me.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 01:11 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I love to catch fish, but 1-3 lbers are of next to no interest to me. I can take my kids to a neighborhood pond and catch as many of those as I want at anytime. For me a good day is leaving the lake feeling like I figured the bigger fish out. What counts as “Bigger” is going to depend on the lake, but I’m usually shooting for 20lbs+ pounds for a top 5.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 01:26 AM

Fishing 2 lakes right now and anything under 40 fish and a 17 lb best 5 limit is a disappointment, shooting for 20+ lbs on best 5. I fish during the week and no tournaments so my numbers are better than weekend fishing. If dad goes the numbers increase.
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 01:43 AM

I'm right along with Hair Jig & Ken A. Enjoying the gift of God's creation nowadays. Aside the old Anglers Choice days, where AltonJones took my money, the '90-'95 days @ Fork, the present days are spent reflecting when eyeing the 3#er of the day. Damn I love to bass fish!
Posted By: Bartemus

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 01:57 AM

Ken is correct. Early 90's on Fork, 30 fish a day was good. Fork fished really tough for me this past year.

Regards, Bart
Posted By: crowsie14

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 02:24 AM

Watching a younger me who just got into bass fishing catch a 8lb and 9lber on Fork a couple years ago, I'll never forgot that day!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 02:33 AM

Enjoyable scenery, good friends along, fish daylight to dark, tolerable weather, some hydrilla or pads with 10 or more each in the boat and at least one good one over 7 lbs (and nobody falls in or gets hooked). cool fish
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by tricky

100%!

Kind of hard to do that with an Optimax on the rear
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 04:14 AM

Yep. Same here. I'm grateful for every one of those days.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 04:37 AM

Just getting to go is a good day fishing! cheers
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Matt1212

Plus #1. thumb
Posted By: Coolarrow

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 11:26 AM

Just getting out there for me too! Catching some fish is a bonus! I love being on the water!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by skeeterbugzx300
a good day of fishing to me is when you get home & nothing is broke.

Originally Posted by Coolarrow
Just getting out there for me too! Catching some fish is a bonus! I love being on the water!
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 12:29 PM

I'm not at work. The wind isn't blowing 25-35. It's not freezing. It's not sweltering hot. I'm hanging out with a buddy all day. We catch a few and learn something. We get home safe to do it again. I had a brush with mortality a few years ago as well. Every day on the water is a bonus day and I enjoy them all
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 02:54 PM

So for most, it seems a good day is nothing broken, some time with a good friend or family, a nice day on the water, and a few bites is a bonus. The have to have a big bite in order to have success seems to be tournament driven as almost everyone that mentions the need for a big bite says "best 5" or something along those lines. I wonder then if tournaments were not a thing, how many guys would still be biggest fish in the lake mentality?
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 03:15 PM

A good day is any day that i get back to the house without breaking or losing something. Any day on the water without crummy weather conditions is a good day. I enjoy the time to relax and get away from work so the fish are just an added bonus.
Posted By: plk1122

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 03:16 PM

Good varies on the day but I will say there is a baseline "good" that I need in every trip. I enjoy being on the water the most so it can't be too windy and I must not be too tired.

Went out once when I knew it was windy, waves were white capping. It was bad and not enjoyable at all. Went out after working a long night shift and just anchored up and slept on the boat. Also on no sleep went out, fishing was taxing and i'm not sure how I got home.

Recently I discovered sometimes I like adding some tunes while fishing. This varies but some days the music gels and makes the fishing really enjoyable.
Posted By: JAlfred

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 03:31 PM

On Monday 24th Feb, I went fishing on Lake Travis with the goal of catching 2 keeper LMB for supper. After 4 hours, I had 2 bites and 2 keepers each about 1 1/2 pounds. That was a good day of fishing for me.

This is a great thread. I find the wide range of opinions about this to be very interesting. Maybe that's part of what makes fishing so great.
Posted By: jbw3

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 04:06 PM

Catching fish is almost always a good day. Spending quality time with a buddy or your kids and not catching anything...can also be a good day. I personally like to graph...when I feel i've put the "pieces" together on structure or cover that i've found...that in itself can be very rewarding and make a good day.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 05:57 PM

Mid 70’s, overcast, light wind and fish biting.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by jh1976
For me, 10 fish in a day, any size any species over 1 lb ea.

This is sort of my gauge. If I catch 10 or more I think I have had a pretty decent day. I only fish for bass, so that would be 10 bass in my case.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 07:20 PM

roflmao Yep, that's a good day!
Posted By: D1988

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 08:13 PM

I would say a day at lake and not at work. Also like everyone else said and nothing breaks.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 08:39 PM

Any day is a good day, but a few fish help it become better
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 08:55 PM

I'm with tricky.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/28/20 11:36 PM

I want to be idling across the water before sunrise and watch the sun come up at my first spot. If I accomplish that, I had a good day.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/29/20 03:35 AM

A couple friends, one or two cold beers and no worries.
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/29/20 06:05 AM

Any day on the water is a great day if I don't tear up or break something
Posted By: H2O Seeker

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/29/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Matt1212

Yes sir
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/29/20 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Medinalakeguy
Any day is a good day, but a few fish help it become better

Couldn't have said it better! thumb
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 02/29/20 03:24 PM

I think there are 2 different questions being answered here - a good day of fishing and a good day of catching. Any day I can safely fish most spots where I want to fish and not have any big catastrophes is a good day of fishing. Sunshine and a fishing buddy make it even better. A good day of catching is 20 LMB with at least one over 4' for me and some for my partner too.

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by bassnman
I think there are 2 different questions being answered here - a good day of fishing and a good day of catching. Any day I can safely fish most spots where I want to fish and not have any big catastrophes is a good day of fishing. Sunshine and a fishing buddy make it even better. A good day of catching is 20 LMB with at least one over 4' for me and some for my partner too.

cheers

I got the chance to go today thinking it would be the perfect day...and it was except for me.

There was a 15.xx new lake record caught where I was but my Yamaha wasn't spraying water out so I didn't get to fish. bang

Got her dropped off at the dealer to get the 100 hour service done so I can get out there soon! fish
Posted By: Finesse Master/ Dropshot king

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 01:40 AM

700 dinks is a good day cool
Posted By: tricky

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by BigDozer66

cheers

I got the chance to hgo today thinking it would be the perfect day...and it was except for me.

There was a 15.xx new lake record caught where I was but my Yamaha wasn't spraying water out so I didn't get to fish. bang

Got her dropped off at the dealer to get the 100 hour service done so I can get out there soon! fish

Don’t be teasing, What lake we talkin
Posted By: 361V

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 12:32 PM

cheers

I got the chance to hgo today thinking it would be the perfect day...and it was except for me.

Nac laugh
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 12:50 PM

When the boat and boat puller gets ya to the lake and back safe and sound, and does not break down....
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 04:12 PM

I love being out there....love the smell of two-stroke burning....love running 55mph in smooth water....love meeting other folks fishing....hell, I like it all. Catching is just a bonus.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 05:16 PM

A 4 footer is a long fish clap
Posted By: Richard G

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 05:25 PM

Like others have mentioned here, a good day is when I quit watching the line, quit watching the scope and take the time to look around at the gift of Creation we have been given. Also at the end of the day when I am able to thank God for watching over me and getting me there and back safely. If these things happen, then it's all good.
Posted By: Guide Richie White

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 08:58 PM

It's a good day if I do less than $100 damage.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 09:08 PM

Everyday on the water is a good day, some are just better than others! Better for me is finding biting fish in a new place, catching a few and going home without breakage.

BD
Posted By: Brooks Lundgren

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 09:22 PM

A good day of fishin is when my motor gets me across the lake and back on the trailer, the fishing part is easy roflmao
Posted By: RATZ

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/01/20 11:04 PM

I'd rather catch a bunch of 1-5lbers rather than try and go all day for one or two bites that might be 8lbs or better. Now if one of those bites was a SAL I could take the all day without fish.

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/02/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by 361V

cheers

Nac laugh

cheers fish flehan
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/02/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Mid 70’s, overcast, light wind and fish biting.

That’s the perfect day along with sharing the experience with my son or best friend.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/02/20 03:00 AM

Today was a good day. Have been having a tough time this winter, including a five day trip to Falcon that was very tough. Fished Martin Creek and we caught around 30 fish (sandies and LMB). Not a lot of size to the LMB, but it felt good to catch some fish finally. Caught around 20 in the first half hour and then it was a grind the rest of the day.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/02/20 03:22 AM

Nothing gets torn up. Weather is decent. Action is good.

Every once in a while you get a day that’s epic.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Define a "good" fishing day - 03/02/20 03:57 PM

as several have said,every day I've ever fished has been a good day.....I've been fortunate enough to have fished guerrero and falcon in their heydays and the fishing was fabulous but as far as the fish catching part goes,last two years at comedero and picachos topped everything I've ever done.....two years ago,me and my buddy caught 58 bass over 6lbs,29 over 7lb,15 over 8 lbs and 5 over 9lbs on comedero...last year at picachos,we caught 905 fish in 6 days most in the 3-4 lb range....
© 2020 Texas Fishing Forum