Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite braid for drop shotting and why?

Posted By: Agape

Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 01:20 AM

Shopping around thought I see what y'all had to say!
Posted By: MichaelP247

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 02:13 AM

I like sufix 832 in the low vis green. Normally 10 or 15 lb.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 02:54 AM

I use an old line that is hard to find, NO MEMORY and hard to find. LYNCH LINE is it. If there is a 10 to 15 MPH wind blowing, it is not nearly as good as others, but it is the best I have found. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 03:19 AM

P-Line TC-8 hi-vis yellow 15 or 20 pound
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 03:30 AM

If you are throwing braid to a 20' floro leader, why does it matter that much? I generally throw 15-20lb PowerPro but why would it matter much as the fish aren't seeing my braid anyways?
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 03:36 AM

I’ve caught just as many with bright yellow suffix 832
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 03:36 AM

10-20 lb power pro been using power pro for 10+ years never an issue so never tried anything else
Posted By: 5-20

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 04:56 AM

Suffix 832 in 10 lb is pretty great.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 09:15 AM

Sunline Siglon PEx8 Braided Line Orange, usually 16# to a Sunline Super FC Sniper 8# leader. On leader length, I don't want the knot back up in the reel when I go to cast.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Greg W
If you are throwing braid to a 20' floro leader, why does it matter that much? I generally throw 15-20lb PowerPro but why would it matter much as the fish aren't seeing my braid anyways?

Improved sensitivity with braid (and visibility of strike detection if using high vis)
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 12:21 PM

#30 Smackdown. About the same diameter as #20 Power Pro and casts better. A little pricey, but the difference is night and day. Give it a try. thumb
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 01:44 PM

I don't use braid for my drop shot because I use a baitcaster. I use all fluorocarbon line, but when I do use braid for other techniques and on my spinning gear, my favorites are Daiwa Samuri braid and Suffix 832.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 01:55 PM

Academy brand braid, because it’s cheap and just as good.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Academy brand braid, because it’s cheap and just as good.

So Academy braid as your main line and Bass Pro shop Fluorocarbon for your leader would be two inexpensive lines that work well for the price.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 03:07 PM

Power Pro 15lb Yellow
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 06:59 PM

Diawa J-Braid 4x 20 lb (spinning)
Diawa J-Braid 4x 30 lb (bait caster)
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/24/20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I don't use braid for my drop shot because I use a baitcaster. I use all fluorocarbon line

Same here.
Posted By: n_fish

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 02/25/20 01:08 AM

15lb. Power Pro super-slick in aqua green. It’s very supple and soft and it’s great in the wind. No issues with knots tying 10-12 lb. fluorocarbon to it. Experimenting with Berkeley’s C9 in 15 right now, so far,so good.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 03/15/20 07:40 PM

Daiwa Samarai because it's limp.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 03/15/20 08:35 PM

Sufix 832 Hi-Vis Yellow 10 lb on mine. fish
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 03/16/20 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey
Originally Posted by ezbassin
I don't use braid for my drop shot because I use a baitcaster. I use all fluorocarbon line

Same here.

👍

I use spinning reels mainly for drop shots.. Baitcasters when it’s windy. Fluoro on both all the way. I’ve tried them all, but I feel that straight fluoro is the ticket. I only mentioned it in case you haven’t tried it. Less wind resistance, less sound going through the water over stumps and brush... and less time spent tying leaders.
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 03/16/20 01:48 PM

I started using braid with 30lb Stren Superbraid, and it was great. Watching all of the pros and hearing them say they used 20lb or lighter braid, I switched to Sufix 832 20lb in the high viz yellow. I really like the bright yellow color. With the really light braid, I was having a lot of casting birds nests, so I switched back to a spool of 30lb Stren Superbraid that is white. I tried some of the Diawa 8 strand in 15lb in yellow as well.. same casting issues as the Sufix. I think I need to drag my line between fishing spots to get the twist out also.. but its a pain in the butt to retie.
BD
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Favorite braid for drop shotting and why? - 03/16/20 05:11 PM

Hi vis suffix 832. Last forever and hasn't lost color. I can see the hits I may not feel.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum