Texas Fishing Forum

MLF/BPT referees question

Posted By: beartrap

MLF/BPT referees question - 02/23/20 11:21 PM

thread on another forum in which guys are saying the refs get motel/food/gas expenses paid but receive no pay.....I tried to research this and couldn't find anything regarding pay...seems to me I read somewhere that they are paid a small amount....little hard to believe they could find that many guys to "volunteer" for that job....got to believe they also would have problems finding 40 marshals for each of these tournys that are scattered all over the country..
anybody have any insight on this?
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/23/20 11:29 PM

I talked to them about doing it. They provide travel, in a van bus etc. They provide lunch and basically a shuttle to and from hotels at the event etc and a small per diem for dinner is what I seem to remember. My thought was it could be fun but it would have cost me money as it would anyone who chooses to drive their own vehicle so as to have some freedom during the week long event.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 12:14 AM

There’s a reason 90% of them are old, and seem to be retirees. Very few of them are 20-40 year olds, with the exception of the lady there last week and she probably drives a Range Rover and has a rich husband
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Clark3
There’s a reason 90% of them are old, and seem to be retirees. Very few of them are 20-40 year olds, with the exception of the lady there last week and she probably drives a Range Rover and has a rich husband

cheers
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 02:32 AM

I met a couple of them and chatted for a while at the Conroe event last year. The two I talked with were very nice gentlemen with a longtime interest in fishing and "giving back" by promoting the sport at the events.. It seemed they enjoyed the chance to travel and meet the people who come by the event activities. Their motivation seemed to be they enjoyed it, not that they were going to make a buck (not that they were doing so).
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 03:15 AM

If I could afford to take off a year and do it, I would do it just for the experience and knowledge in all types of conditions i definitely would use a go pro and tape my experience, would be worth it!
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 03:47 AM

No one is forced to be an official, so it’s fair.

I also believe people pay to be marshals in B.A.S.S.

Is fishing is the only sport where one must pay or volunteer to officiate?

If I could afford it, I would volunteer too.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 03:50 AM

It's a great business model, you convince random people to do one of the most important jobs for free!!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 05:04 AM

Just like paying a fishing show to ride on the boat and look out of place. People are willing to pay just so they can be on TV. To me it would be fun for about an hour then I'd be ready to go do my own fishing.
Posted By: Farrside

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 06:01 AM

Beartrap that is correct no pay but all expenses are paid. As an official for MLF it is all volunteer yes most are retired or have heir own business. We're not required to attend every event, 4 is the minim your ask to commit to. There is an academy you must attend and pass before the season starts. Just think Bass charges you to be a Marshall, plus you have to pay for hotel, gas and your food, MLF is covered and tournament does not have to be in your back yard to attend. It's not for everyone but for me it's a chance to learn from pros while volunteering to grow something new.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
If I could afford to take off a year and do it, I would do it just for the experience and knowledge in all types of conditions i definitely would use a go pro and tape my experience, would be worth it!

+1
Posted By: andy52887

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 11:46 AM

I did the Marshall thing for the last Bassmaster classic on the red river. And the only way I would do it again is be paid lol. There is nothing more boring then sitting and watching another person fish then add in the crazy boat ride and freezing cold. Luckily for us it’s filmed so I’ll just try to learn what they show us on tv 😂
Posted By: beartrap

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Farrside
Beartrap that is correct no pay but all expenses are paid. As an official for MLF it is all volunteer yes most are retired or have heir own business. We're not required to attend every event, 4 is the minim your ask to commit to. There is an academy you must attend and pass before the season starts. Just think Bass charges you to be a Marshall, plus you have to pay for hotel, gas and your food, MLF is covered and tournament does not have to be in your back yard to attend. It's not for everyone but for me it's a chance to learn from pros while volunteering to grow something new.

thanks for sharing this info and for your efforts to grow the sport........I've really enjoyed both the on line viewing and the television shows...
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: MLF/BPT referees question - 02/24/20 04:19 PM

unlike all of the other BASS Elite tournaments where the marshals pay to be the judge the Texas Toyota Bass Fest Elite Tournaments have volunteer judges. They all attend a one day training course and then "judge" the fish just like in the MLF format. Actually the MLF format copied the TTBF format and refined it a little. but they use the same scales.

This years event will be in early June at Lake Fork. There may still be openings for judges.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum