Posted By: breauxmule

Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 08:19 PM

Which holds better?
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 10:10 PM

Same thing
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 10:26 PM

The Motorguides anchor mode held better on the first generations. On current generations they are suppose to be pretty equal with maybe a little better hold from the spotlock. Should be equal enough that your choice should be made by which fish finders you use.
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 10:47 PM

Main thing I notice with my ultrex with no current or wind the spot lock moves alot. But still a very useful tool.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by andy52887
Main thing I notice with my ultrex with no current or wind the spot lock moves alot. But still a very useful tool.

Mine moves constantly with low wind.
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 10:51 PM

I don’t have power poles but in low wind it is kind of annoying lol
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/19/20 11:30 PM

Yep, it seems that it is trying to figure out what to do. LOL
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/20/20 01:28 AM

Ultrex owners. Set your boat scale to the lowest setting. -2 i think is the lowest. Your boat doesnt weigh 5000 pounds so you only need minimal thrust for correction when using spot lock. It will still power up to whatever you need, but the initial adjustments will be at lower thrust.
Posted By: SKR3

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/20/20 02:26 AM

Have a Ghost on the way, has anyone compared it with the Ultrex spot lock?
Posted By: Jobucko

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/20/20 03:42 AM

They all work off the GPS system and it is only accurate to +-10 to +-33 ft depending on how many satellites you see. That is set to change big time in 2022-2023 when the newest GPS system is opened to the public. Supposed to be +-3ft to +-10ft. That is the good news. The REALLY bad news is that it will require all new hardware...Trolling Motors and Fish Finders not just software upgrades. At least that is what i have been reading. I hope I am wrong but I won't be upgrading any equipment prior to that.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/20/20 04:47 PM

spotlock works best in wind
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/20/20 06:13 PM

I agree . I have the Terrova and with no wind it hunts a lot . Kinda makes me laugh at times .
Posted By: rickys

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/20/20 06:29 PM

I've dang near been thrown out of the boat with no wind.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/21/20 04:06 AM

Thanks for the tip!
Posted By: Bcbbs

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/21/20 02:02 PM

ttt
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/22/20 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by rickys

Consider what might happen if you fall out when there is wind and/or current. and the TM is on lock or following a course. You and the boat could become separated very quickly! Especially when fishing alone, it's probably a good idea to wear some type of PFD when a "smart trolling motor" is following instructions you've given it.
Posted By: basscatmo

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/22/20 11:56 PM

I've used a "dumb" trolling motor for 50 years. Think I continue to do so as long as they are available.
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 02/23/20 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tracker Tim
Ultrex owners. Set your boat scale to the lowest setting. -2 i think is the lowest. Your boat doesnt weigh 5000 pounds so you only need minimal thrust for correction when using spot lock. It will still power up to whatever you need, but the initial adjustments will be at lower thrust.

Thank you for the info.
Posted By: RZ520

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 03/15/20 07:50 PM

Spotlock
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 03/15/20 09:58 PM

have fished with both and now own a garmin force, the force hunts a lot less and is super quiet when it does run. one benefit is it automatically detects the speed it needs to get back on spot and adjusts accordingly with no input from me.
I think the force is a better tm for anchor lock/spot lock compared to the ultrex and ulterra that were on boats I fished out of.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 03/15/20 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

Consider what might happen if you fall out when there is wind and/or current. and the TM is on lock or following a course. You and the boat could become separated very quickly! Especially when fishing alone, it's probably a good idea to wear some type of PFD when a "smart trolling motor" is following instructions you've given it.

I wear my auto inflate from launch to load, now have a force tm and remote, the remote stays around my neck. I can bring the boat back to me pretty easily if need be.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Anchor mode vs Spot Lock - 03/17/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by Flippin-Out

I wear my auto inflate from launch to load, now have a force tm and remote, the remote stays around my neck. I can bring the boat back to me pretty easily if need be.

Is the remote water proof in case you landed in the water?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum