Texas Fishing Forum

Boat decision. Need your help!

Posted By: Garett

Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:48 PM

Guys and Gals,
I need help decided between two possible boats and i want your unbiased opinion. I am deciding between a new 2019 Nitro Z20 with a Mercury 250, with no upgrades for $45K. OR a used 2018 Skeeter FX21 with a Yamaha 250 Vmax with160hrs on it, Solix 15 and 12, 2 powerpoles, jackplate, and Hotfoot for $58K. Also comes with warranty till 2025. Keep in mind that i can put all the extras on the Nitro at wholesale price to make them equal in electronics. Am i wrong for worrying about the skeeter being used? Since the nitro is new from cabelas, wont it be easier to have maintenance and other repairs taken care of? Looking forward to your honest opinions.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:50 PM

popcorn Be patient because it's a coming
Posted By: steve Mbass

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:53 PM

popcorn
Posted By: tricky

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:56 PM

Skeeter FX21...every True Texans dream... banana
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:56 PM

Lot of factors. Nitro will come with what motor? A 225? Skeeter comes with a 250. Who around you works on mercury or Yamaha? How much in extra is all the upgrades going to cost you?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:57 PM

Maintenance is going to be tough regardless. Repair shops and excellent customer service are typically not used in the same sentence. Proactive/Predictive scheduling and timelines are mostly non-existent

Don't worry about the Skeeter being used, IF it was properly cared for!

Yes, the Merc can be maintained at Cabelas and the Yammie can't.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 07:58 PM

I don't think the ride between the two is even comparable. Or is it?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 08:13 PM

FX 21 equipped @ 58K is a very good deal.
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 08:17 PM

I hate to say it but out the 2 skeeter is the better buy.
Posted By: Atta

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 08:18 PM

Skeeter all the way. The Yammy is just fine and your covered for just as long as you would be (or longer) then with the new merc. 3 year factory and can add a 5 year extra with the merc. Check the skeeter out but IMO I’d go with the Skeeter any day!
Posted By: tricky

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by tricky

At least it’s mine
Posted By: BassMajician

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 11:09 PM

1 more vote for the skeeter.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/17/20 11:13 PM

YOLO

#voteskeeter grin
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 12:52 AM

Find a BassCat.... you'll be happier.
Posted By: Ted Romero

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 02:46 AM

Ranger
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:00 AM

get the biggest boat you can afford...If you ever have to fish big water the bigger the boat the better.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:10 AM

I would get the Skeeter if it were me. cheers
Posted By: CashFishingTeam

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:13 AM

Nitro the better deal there, and the mercury the better motor.
Posted By: CashFishingTeam

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:15 AM

And I fish out of a new Ranger. So not skeeter owner. Lol I have rode in both a lot, and nitro still takes rough water better than anything I’ve rode in. I would have bought one if I didn’t get the deal on the Ranger I got.
Posted By: JerryC

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:27 AM

If the Nitro has the 8 Cylinder 250 it is a beast. I have a new Z21 and it does take rough water well.
I came out of a FX21 and bought the Nitro. Just my 2 cents!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:40 AM

I'm not a true Texan then because I wouldn't want that hunk of [censored]

Put me in a Legend or Phoniex
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:41 AM

Buy Texan buy Skeeter
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 05:42 AM

Nitro hulls are not very strong was at the fiberglass shop and he was fixing a spot on top of rub rail that had s nice chunk in it ask him what happened and he said guy hit it with a tungsten weight.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 11:54 AM

Nitro all the way for me on those new Z hulls. Pass on the Skeeter.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 12:10 PM

Between these 2, on the same day go look at both, take a walk around, climb in and then make the deal on the one you feel is right for you in that moment. No lunch to think about it, no forum to cloud your thoughts. They will both be good boats for you. Just keep in mind how much it will cost you equip the nitro, but also you will get to equip it with what you want.
2-12's-$6000
2 power poles - $4000
jackplate, hotfoot, misc - $2,000
so about $12,000 to equip that nitro.

Both new, I would buy the Skeeter but they're not. Something to be said for owning it from Day 1. It is a tie. Buy the one YOU like the most and feel like fits you the best and don't look back.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 12:38 PM

Depending on when it hit the water that Skeeter could be 3 years old. I think it’s the better boat but that price seems high to me.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by leethefishking
Depending on when it hit the water that Skeeter could be 3 years old. I think it’s the better boat but that price seems high to me.

I agree, that boat seems priced high. I'd keep shopping, I think you'll find a better deal on a used boat. Your problem now is you are buying during peak demand.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 01:09 PM

Buy the Nitro and when you hit 160 hours think about owning a boat with 320 instead. Which do you want? Same with graphs, etc. they’ll all be new.
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Fish2222

^^^^ This!
Posted By: rkd

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 02:37 PM

I know the last thing you're thinking about now (excited about new boat!) would be resell value but the Skeeter will probably be easier to sell down the road.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 02:47 PM

The nitro rigged out with new gen 3 electronics is the better value, especially if you can get them at cost. Also the new v8 plus extended warranty still puts you cheaper than the skeeter. In a few years you'll have a very desirable boat that'll still have good value
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 03:21 PM

roflmao roflmao roflmao.............................................NOT
Posted By: OTFF

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 04:09 PM

Skeeter.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 05:04 PM

I like Skeeters better than Nitro. But I too believe the Nitro would be best money spent .
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 07:41 PM

That is a tough one . Guess it comes down to how long you plan on keeping the rig. Someone already mentioned when you reach 160 hours on the Nitro the Skeeter will be at 320 hours. I have heard some guys get nervous with engines approaching 400 hours are more. I personally think modern outboards should last well over 1000 hours.
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 08:30 PM

2 stroke or 4 stroke Merc?
Posted By: Gary D

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/18/20 11:58 PM

My current boat is a Ranger...and I miss my skeeter. The boat I had before the skeeter was a nitro, I don’t miss that damn thing a bit. 😜
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/19/20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger1
popcorn Be patient because it's a coming

Lol
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/19/20 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by reelswift
That is a tough one . Guess it comes down to how long you plan on keeping the rig. Someone already mentioned when you reach 160 hours on the Nitro the Skeeter will be at 320 hours. I have heard some guys get nervous with engines approaching 400 hours are more. I personally think modern outboards should last well over 1000 hours.

For warranty concerns right?
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/19/20 05:16 AM

Nitro probably won't hold up as well. It'll have a wider front deck. I agree with make sure you have service that is reasonably close.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/19/20 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fish2222

What he said !!!

I will never buy anything else,,
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/19/20 12:28 PM

160 hours is nothing on an outboard if it was run right from day one.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/19/20 12:44 PM

Buy them both...………..
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 12:48 AM

Between the two brands I would go with a Skeeter any day over a Nitro.
Posted By: Jobie99

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 01:02 AM

Check Nitro hull warranty. I bought a used Skeeter and transferred the hull warranty. I have more stress cracks than I can count. Skeeter told me to pound sand when I asked for it to be repaired even though I was the first registered owner. I still have it because it’s paid for, but I have to say for my first $40k boat purchase I’m disappointed. Estimate for repair was $3500.
Posted By: Outdoor Therapy

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Bass-N-Buck Master
Nitro hulls are not very strong was at the fiberglass shop and he was fixing a spot on top of rub rail that had s nice chunk in it ask him what happened and he said guy hit it with a tungsten weight.

This happened to my BILs brand new Skeeter
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 02:44 AM

I'd take the New Merc 250 over a 160 hour Yamaha any day! And I never had stress cracks on my old Nitro like my old Skeeter had. I'd get the Nitro with extended warranty and rig it out with the latest accessories at cost before I would ever consider a used Skeeter/Yamaha that cost more.....
Posted By: 361V

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 03:04 AM

I heard somewhere that Allison was the best bass boat ever? laugh Oh, on your choices? I’d rather have the Skeeter.......but with the Merc! Can’t win huh? Seriously though, buy the BOAT you like best.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 04:14 AM

Nitro
Posted By: Bigg Un

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 04:01 PM

I own a '06 21i...my fourth Skeeter...and definitely the best...boat has over 600 hrs on it and not a stress crack one..that being said...your either looking for a new boat or a used boat..both have their advantages..imo go new if you can...warranty makes peace of mind...but on the other hand there is a reason the Skeeter is higher than a new Nitro...and I'll leave it at that...
Posted By: Bodie

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 04:43 PM

I was looking at the same two boats and ended up with the nitro rigged it up the way I wanted for 55k two helix 10s and ultrex and talons remote drain plug. By myself I can push it around 75mph. The new V8 is a beast I went with the nitro because of the mercury. I really liked the skeeter tho so I’m going to say you would be happy with either.
Posted By: FewJr

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 08:46 PM

I’ve owned 3 skeeters, before I bought my 3rd I checked nitro and they are priced the same. Nitros come with basic trolling motor, no front graph, cheap console graph and no backup lights. If you add all the upgrades there is no price difference.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Boat decision. Need your help! - 02/23/20 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by FewJr
I’ve owned 3 skeeters, before I bought my 3rd I checked nitro and they are priced the same. Nitros come with basic trolling motor, no front graph, cheap console graph and no backup lights. If you add all the upgrades there is no price difference.

but you don't get the Merc!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum