Texas Fishing Forum

Wacky Weather spring fishing

Posted By: WattoFish

Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/17/20 07:40 PM

So is anybody else struggling on North Texas lakes with the roller coaster weather patterns?

I fished the Vine for a few hours yesterday wetting a line in a couple of my historically productive spots and zeroed.

Apparently I didn't offer anything the fish wanted and I was trying to be conscious of speed by presenting some plastics to mix it up.

Oh well, at least the weather was nice for a day on the water.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/17/20 07:50 PM

The wacky weather has me all screwed up. My fishing has suffered because I want it to warm up! Fishing for me is about like every spring in the 7-8 years I have been focused on fishing... not good until I can catch numbers and size up shallow!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/17/20 08:11 PM

Place I've been fishing lately is making me really think. The water has went from 61 last week to 63.5 this weekend and no spawning activity. But it's also dropping which I think has them not pulling up. Last weekend smoked them and yesterday struggled for 2 bites. I'm pretty confused on what they are doing right now.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/17/20 08:22 PM

Yesterday was the first time I have zeroed in years. High, dirty water made for a lousy day.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/17/20 10:26 PM

Had 20-25 fish days 2 weeks ago. Had 7 two days ago most of them over 4 and shallow one over 7. Yesterday and today been back to little fish none shallow.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/18/20 04:16 AM

Finally caught some shallow today, but with the weather turning again, that might be short lived.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/18/20 04:52 AM

welcome To texas

Side Note: Seems that there has been one to three fronts a week this winter! nuts
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/18/20 02:05 PM

Welcome to Texas. Nothin's changed and gonna be that way for the next 4 months until June. Warm front and windy. Cold front and blue skies. It is what it is. Just hope i'm off on either the day before a cold front, or a few days after the warm up.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Wacky Weather spring fishing - 02/18/20 02:23 PM

I caught some well fed males yesterday shallow, but no sign of big females. It's still early in the year. The spawn is about more than just water temp. Until the photo period gets right (length of day) it really takes the stars aligning to get fish to push up. With all these cold fronts moving in those stars just haven't been aligned yet most places. As we keep moving toward March the need for perfect conditions will decline a little more every day.

All that said, you never know what an individual fish is going to do, so you never know about the next cast. It could be the one! So that's my strategy. Keep fishing, it'll happen when in happens!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum