Texas Fishing Forum

Which lake to stay at for a few days

Posted By: dk2429

Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 03:41 AM

The "best lake this spring" thread reminded me to ask y'all this..

A friend and I are planning on taking a few days, maybe a week this spring to a lake somewhere to fish/camp. We were talking about Pinkston and Nacachonie, but I don't see anywhere on those lakes to pitch a tent, and a week on lakes that small would probably get a little boring. We'll have the boat with us (22' Majek.)

So yeah, recommend me some lakes that will have a place to setup camp and good bass fishing! We're coming from Houston so somewhere within about 300 miles or so.

Only lakes to exclude from your recommendations are Rayburn, Livingston, Conroe, Toledo Bend, and Belton. Been going to those lakes for years, and wanting to try somewhere different.

(Just a thought... We were also talking about staying at a lake like Grapevine or Ray Roberts, and fishing all the DFW area lakes for the week.)

Thanks guys!!! grin
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 03:57 AM

Rayburn has some nice campgrounds.
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 03:59 AM

Ray Roberts for nice campgrounds and can then travel to a lot of different lakes to fish
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 04:00 AM

Choke canyon
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 04:02 AM

Lake o Pines .
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 04:05 AM

Willow Point at Texoma had decent facilities and is by some fishable water.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 04:06 AM

If coming to N Tex, I would recommend coming late spring. From my experience, Grapevine will get hot a couple of weeks prior to Lewisville and Ray Roberts. Our lakes tend to be nearly a month behind East Texas lakes. Robert's has some pretty places to stay and camp and be out of the city. If staying on the North east end of Robert's, Texoma would be Closer than Grapevine.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 08:29 AM

grapevine has some nice cabins, stayed in them once.

roberts or texoma for camping out.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 09:35 AM

Houston County Lake is within a couple hours straight north of Houston just outside Crockett Texas. Beautiful piney woods fishing lake. Camp at Crockett Family Resort: https://crockettresort.com/index.html
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 11:00 AM

Joe Pool is a tough lake but we have had some awesome days on it, both numbers and big fish. However, we have had our share of "no fish" days as well. I don't think you would get bored in a week. Loyd Park looks to be a very nice campground, it can get full over a holiday or when the weather is nice. Also, you would be fairly close to other DFW lakes. Good luck.
Posted By: danceswithbass

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 11:41 AM

Not sure how easy it is to break down and setup your camp, but you could do Roberts, Grapevine, and fish Bridgeport and camp at PK and fish it for a couple of days for a different look, less educated fish on Bridgeport, and just fun to fish PK because of the scenery if nothing else. Tons of camping options around PK
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Choke canyon
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 01:00 PM

Bob Sandlin State Park is really nice and besides Bob Sandlin you are a fairly short distance from other lakes like Cypress Springs, Monticello (Uh-Oh, Sorry!) Winnsboro, Fork, Quitman, Welsh, etc.

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Houston County Lake is within a couple hours straight north of Houston just outside Crockett Texas. Beautiful piney woods fishing lake. Camp at Crockett Family Resort: https://crockettresort.com/index.html

I knew there was a lake I was forgetting to exclude.. I've been going to Houston County the past 3 years very often. My favorite lake as of now, just wanting something different!
Thanks for everyone for the suggestions! Exactly what I was looking for
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 02:18 PM

March--Coleto Creek
April--Sam Rayburn/Toledo Bend
May--Caddo
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 02:29 PM

For something truly different, Drive right through Texas and hit Broken Bow! Nice camping, don't know about fishing, but with the spots and smalies in that deep clear lake, wow!!!!

I know,I know... it's sacrilege to say that!
Posted By: spacejunkie

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 02:45 PM

Amistad.

One of the best lakes for scenery and tough to figure out yet big enough that you won't get bored looking for them.
Posted By: metalruch1

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by outfishdya
If coming to N Tex, I would recommend coming late spring. From my experience, Grapevine will get hot a couple of weeks prior to Lewisville and Ray Roberts. Our lakes tend to be nearly a month behind East Texas lakes. Robert's has some pretty places to stay and camp and be out of the city. If staying on the North east end of Robert's, Texoma would be Closer than Grapevine.

^^^^ This!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 03:22 PM

This
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Chris B
Choke canyon

Im not sure I would want to "pitch a tent" with the size of some of those alligators out there on the bank.

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Amistad.

One of the best lakes for scenery and tough to figure out yet big enough that you won't get bored looking for them.

Man I've been wanting to go to Amistad for the longest time, I just haven't done it because I've heard it's tough to fish. I just can't see hauling the rig all the way out there for that

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 04:42 PM

To add on to my topic, something that would be really great is a lake with some smallmouth. I've never caught one.. Been to belton and still house many times, just never have hung a smallmouth. I've heard Texoma has a good fishery for them but I'm sure its gonna be too late in the Spring..
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go
Rayburn has some nice campgrounds.

Meant to say Roberts, not Rayburn. hammer
Texoma is pretty good too.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Originally Posted by Chris B
Choke canyon

Im not sure I would want to "pitch a tent" with the size of some of those alligators out there on the bank.

But they could snuggle with the javelinas when it got cold.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/14/20 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by dk2429
To add on to my topic, something that would be really great is a lake with some smallmouth. I've never caught one.. Been to belton and still house many times, just never have hung a smallmouth. I've heard Texoma has a good fishery for them but I'm sure its gonna be too late in the Spring..

The State park on Texoma is awesome for camping and the small mouth fishing is right there. Drive the boat out of the pocket where the ramp is, turn North and start fishing the bluffs and pockets. You will catch a small mouth and maybe a good one! Ray Roberts is about an hour South and West if you wanted to fish two lakes that are fairly close to each other. Ray Roberts has two State parks both with really nice camping and great fishing close by as well.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/15/20 04:09 PM

I would go to Naconiche and get a cabin. This way you could fish Naconiche, Nacogdoches, Kurth, Pinkston, Murvaul, and little Lake Timpson. They all could fish good in middle to end of March depending on this weather. The lakes named are all within 30 mins of Naconiche. Kurth might be just a little further.
Posted By: franchi

Re: Which lake to stay at for a few days - 02/15/20 09:10 PM

If your going to make it a week. Go all out. Arkansas. Bull Shoals. And rent a kayak go for a float for river smallies in addition to the lake
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum