Texas Fishing Forum

Best Texas Lake this spring?

Posted By: cali kid

Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 11:26 AM

What is your pick?

With the heavyweights Fork and Falcon down some right now, I am thinking of a trip to a different lake.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 11:31 AM

Lew
Posted By: D1988

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 12:11 PM

Naconiche
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 12:12 PM

Choke Canyon
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 12:35 PM

Athens, but Caddo is my sleeper pick
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 12:57 PM

Fork
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 01:18 PM

fork is not down any more, this rain will have it back to full and a full week of more rain next week.

but there are no fish in fork so I say go to lewisville.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 01:44 PM

Been hearing some excellent reports from Choke Canyon. Big fish and numbers
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 01:49 PM

Choke has rebounded nicely but I'm sure death by internet is inevitable. The grass is back and so are the numbers. I'm betting champs adds it to the south schedule next year
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
Choke has rebounded nicely but I'm sure death by internet is inevitable. The grass is back and so are the numbers. I'm betting champs adds it to the south schedule next year

I sure hope not, it’s dropping like a rock and way too small for something like that right now. It would be a cluster f.
Posted By: Gungle

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 02:39 PM

Caddo is my pick!
Posted By: Big hoss

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 03:21 PM

O.H Ivie
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 03:29 PM

Blundell Creek.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 03:38 PM

Grapevine!

I am going to catch me a smallie there this year.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by senko9S
Blundell Creek.
You going to paddle a kayak from the highway bridge?

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 03:44 PM

nope
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Big hoss
O.H Ivie

The slime stuff is coming back for some reason in many areas, been a PITA to fish here lately.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite
O.H Ivie

The slime stuff is coming back for some reason in many areas, been a PITA to fish here lately.

I noticed that when I was fishing out there the weekend before last flipping up to 15'. Funny thing is the last time before that I had been out there was mid November and it wasn't an issue then.
Posted By: Basscat8263

Not Fork.
Posted By: RedRanger

Lewisville will be a hot lake this spring
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by tmd11111
Originally Posted by 21xs Elite
O.H Ivie

I noticed that when I was fishing out there the weekend before last flipping up to 15'. Funny thing is the last time before that I had been out there was mid November and it wasn't an issue then.

Just showed up the last couple weeks and getting worse, glad I have no plans on fishing it anytime soon.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 06:38 PM

Arlington
Posted By: krthomas2

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/12/20 11:26 PM

Pines
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 01:51 AM

No lakes are on fire anymore, death by internet.......and bassmaster!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by reeltexan

Arlington

??????
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 02:46 AM

Arlington

roflmao

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 02:48 AM

i love Arlington in the spring. 25 pounds isn't that hard to come by.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 04:27 AM

I noticed how the grapevine regulars say Lewisville.
This is the year the Vine becomes legendary.
Posted By: jbcarroll3000

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Allen Bass Fisher

Arlington

??????

Arlington kicks out some of the fattest 7's and 8's you'll ever see in the Spring.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 07:05 AM

Most of the answers you’ll get in here are the lakes guys would fish if they weren’t fishing the lake they really plan to fish. Our lakes are so astronomically busy very few are going to publicly invite you to their honey hole. Although I do agree with a prior post that those don’t really exist anymore. Any lake in Texas has potential, but their really aren’t any shortcuts. Pick your poison.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by cali kid
What is your pick?

With the heavyweights Fork and Falcon down some right now, I am thinking of a trip to a different lake.

fork is at pool again and will probably be there for a few weeks, we hit our monsoon season late I guess.
Posted By: tricky

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 01:43 PM

I live right across the street from the Little Elm boat ramp on Lew. I will be spending as many weekends as possible on my little lot on Fork if that tells you anything.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 03:26 PM

Any lake that I allow my gratefulness to bless roflmao
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 03:26 PM

popcorn
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by D1988
Naconiche

Do you by chance know anything about Pinkston since they're in the same area? Think about giving both these lakes a go for a few days this Spring

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 06:08 PM

I caught my 2 biggest fish from those 2 lakes.
10.75 pinkston
12.54 Naconiche
1 one pinkston in March.
1 on Naconiche in April.
They both about to spawn.
I fished pinkston with my dad when I was young. There was never more than 3 or 4 boats on the lake. We new the lake well then. The timber was all still standing then and great grass also.
Naconiche is where we hunted and fish before there was a lake. I guess I know it pretty well also.
Fish both it might be best trip ever if everything lines up.

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 06:20 PM

10.75 pinkston
12.54 Naconiche
1 one pinkston in March.
1 on Naconiche in April.
I fished pinkston with my dad when I was young. There was never more than 3 or 4 boats on the lake. We new the lake well then. The timber was all still standing then and great grass also.
Naconiche is where we hunted and fish before there was a lake. I guess I know it pretty well also.

Can you get a boat in Pinkston? 22ft.... I looked on Google Maps and only saw one "ramp" by the dam that looked gravel to me.

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/13/20 07:40 PM

I havent been to pinkston in several years and it was always gravel. If it rains u will feel better with a 4x4. If you come in off hwy 7 it is oil top just about to dam last time I was there.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 12:03 AM

OH IVIE

Ignore the reports of “slime” lake is fishing lights out and will be a beast this spring
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429
10.75 pinkston
12.54 Naconiche
1 one pinkston in March.
1 on Naconiche in April.

Can you get a boat in Pinkston? 22ft.... I looked on Google Maps and only saw one "ramp" by the dam that looked gravel to me.

The ramp is pretty flat. But I had No issues behind my wife’s car. Old timer who pulled out before me put some boots on to get out of his boat, I got Some for next time!!

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 02:28 AM

I think Ivie is the next hotspot, rumor is there’s been some 30lb bags being caught. Just nobody wants to disclose it on the Internet...
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by grout-scout
I think Ivie is the next hotspot, rumor is there’s been some 30lb bags being caught. Just nobody wants to disclose it on the Internet...

Just fished a team tournament there 2 weeks ago. I can assure you no 30 pound bags that day. Took 3rd with 2 unders. In fact there was a second tournament that same day and had I entered it too I would have placed in that one as well

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

Just fished a team tournament there 2 weeks ago. I can assure you no 30 pound bags that day. Took 3rd with 2 unders. In fact there was a second tournament that same day and had I entered it too I would have placed in that one as well

Come on now, don’t play coy with us. We’ve seen pics of those pigs being caught up there. peep
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 03:01 AM

Marine creek [Linked Image]
Posted By: Walls

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 03:05 AM

Take a look at James' most recent report from Falcon. That's where I would be.

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa
10.75 pinkston
12.54 Naconiche
1 one pinkston in March.
1 on Naconiche in April.

The ramp is pretty flat. But I had No issues behind my wife’s car. Old timer who pulled out before me put some boots on to get out of his boat, I got Some for next time!!

Just saw Sandy Creek Park on the west side of the lake, but don't see a ramp there.. TPWD says there is one
Posted By: Rog

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
nope

Then how you getting up there? They open the park back up or is there alt launch....
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 11:45 AM

There’s two ramps on Pinkston, one at the dam and the other just off the county road that crosses the lake. The ramp by the county road can be tough to pull out from with all the rain. This ramp can also be tough if the lake is low.

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
There’s two ramps on Pinkston, one at the dam and the other just off the county road that crosses the lake. The ramp by the county road can be tough to pull out from with all the rain. This ramp can also be tough if the lake is low.

Yup not the best ramps but definitely can use a big boat. Been fishing that lake a long time. Huge number of 2.5-4lbers with the slot. During spawn there's literally a bed every 2ft if water clarity is good.

Choke canyon right now for numbers is pretty hard to beat. Lots of YouTube videos posted. Without saying where they are, but we know..
Posted By: thrashfish

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 04:31 PM

Yup not the best ramps but definitely can use a big boat. Been fishing that lake a long time. Huge number of 2.5-4lbers with the slot. During spawn there's literally a bed every 2ft if water clarity is good.

Choke canyon right now for numbers is pretty hard to beat. Lots of YouTube videos posted. Without saying where they are, but we know..

Fished Pinkston this past November and there was almost to much grass but it didn't hinder the fishing any.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by thrashfish

Fished Pinkston this past November and there was almost to much grass but it didn't hinder the fishing any.

There was a lot there already two weeks ago. And very clean water.

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 05:18 PM

After big rains those hills drop some serious red mud into the lake. It does clear up pretty quick though

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 05:41 PM

Best lake in Texas is LBJ, I can see why guys keep trying to divert anglers to other lakes, they want to keep those LBJ fish to themselves.

Of coarse, you can’t beat Rayburn for quantity & quality. It’s on fire, I’ve been seeing some big bags come from there too lately.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 05:45 PM

Best lake in Texas is LBJ, I can see why guys keep trying to divert anglers to other lakes, they want to keep those LBJ fish to themselves.

Of coarse, you can’t beat Rayburn for quantity & quality. It’s on fire, I’ve been seeing some big bags come from there too lately.

Shhhhhhhhhh!!!! But since you already let the cat out of the bag, I can attest that LBJ is lights out in springtime. By far my favorite lake I've been on in Texas. Buchanan is a close second.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/14/20 08:19 PM

Ray Roberts.... yeah overall numbers will not be spectacular on most days but the quality is hard to match. Not very many lakes in our state that take 25 - 30+ lbs to win every single tournament from March to mid June.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/24/20 07:35 PM

Whitney, if you know where to go and what to throw
Posted By: BrockstaRama

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/24/20 08:23 PM

Upper Toledo Bend
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Best Texas Lake this spring? - 02/25/20 06:53 AM

10.75 pinkston
12.54 Naconiche
1 one pinkston in March.
1 on Naconiche in April.

[Linked Image]
I went there for the first last Sept. Nice looking lake, plenty of grass. Caught a few small ones but didn't fish long. Lost gps and didn't have any idea where the dam was. Ended up stopping and asking and nice guy led me there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum