Texas Fishing Forum

Tarrant County

Posted By: Artfuldodger024

Tarrant County - 02/10/20 06:29 PM

Does anyone know of somewhere in Tarrant County where you can consistently catch fish from the bank or a kayak? I am new to the sport and trying to learn some basic techniques but it would help if I got a bite. I've been dragging a Texas rig around but I don't know if anything has actually seen it at this point. Struggling to put together anything consistent. Also, I am seeing some people throwing around chatter baits/spinner baits should I be more focused on that during this time of year (pre-spawn?) ?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 06:44 PM

You can bank fish or fish from a kayak in a lot of spots on the Trinity. There are some good bass in there.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 07:31 PM

Ten mile bridge below eagle mountain. It runs into Lake Worth. Used to be pretty great fishing. A kayak is perfect down there.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 07:42 PM

Marine Creek for a Kayak, also Grapevine, from the bank any neighborhood pond has fish in it.
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 07:50 PM

Don't give up hope. There are plenty of good spots to fish. This time of year can be tough from the bank, but within the next month it should start getting good. I have better luck with spinner baits and chatter baits if there is a little wind. They seem to like the ripple. Clouds also help with any moving baits, in my opinion. Agree with Ten Mile Bridge. Also, try to go to Shady Grove Park in Azle. Don't go toward the lake, but up the channel next to the park, or up Walnut Creek. As the water warms, there are some good reeds that are toward the lake from the park as well.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter
You can bank fish or fish from a kayak in a lot of spots on the Trinity. There are some good bass in there.

Is there anywhere in particular? I have fished it quite a bit between South University and 30. I have had the best luck under the main street bridge last spring/early summer but the bite completely died for me in August.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Smurfs
Marine Creek for a Kayak, also Grapevine, from the bank any neighborhood pond has fish in it.

I have heard it is hard to fish Marine Creek and that Grapevine is lifeless. All the neighborhood ponds have never produced for me. There might be fish in them but I can't get them to bite.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Artfuldodger024

I have heard it is hard to fish Marine Creek and that Grapevine is lifeless. All the neighborhood ponds have never produced for me. There might be fish in them but I can't get them to bite.

Just throw a wacky rig at any of the above and you will catch fish!

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 11:03 PM

That is the other thing I don't understand about bass fishing, if a Texas rig or a wacky rig is such a sure thing why doesn't everyone always throw it? It is the universally recommended for people who can't catch anything but why? Is that the default presentation you use?
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Duck_Hunter

Is there anywhere in particular? I have fished it quite a bit between South University and 30. I have had the best luck under the main street bridge last spring/early summer but the bite completely died for me in August.

Panther Island Pavilion area and towards University. Over by the wake board park. Caught a lot of bass there. The place you mentioned was drained when they redid the I30 bridge and, while I haven’t fished it much since then, fishing hadn’t recovered since construction began.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 11:17 PM

Back when I lived in North Richland Hills (~2008) I spend a good amount of time fishing the banks of Marine Creek. Back then pumpkin/chartreuse ribbon tail worms and green pumpkin shaky heads did the trick most days. I then picked up a bass buster and started spending most of my weekends at the LBJ Grasslands. The grasslands have some good lakes with good size fish and seclusion if you don’t mind the drive.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 11:22 PM

That is the other thing I don't understand about bass fishing, if a Texas rig or a wacky rig is such a sure thing why doesn't everyone always throw it? It is the universally recommended for people who can't catch anything but why? Is that the default presentation you use?

Dont have an answer for all that. you ask how and where to catch fish, thats all I got. Good Luck!
Posted By: 361V

Re: Tarrant County - 02/10/20 11:55 PM

Ft Worth Nature Center on the Trinity River above Lake Worth/below Eagle Mountain. Good fishing, gators, beautiful scenery and as good of water quality you will find on the Trinity in N.Texas.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Tarrant County - 02/11/20 01:34 AM

there is no sure thing in bass fishing other than liars. lures/techniques are just like tools, they have to be used in the right scenario to be effective. say you go to pond A and its clear and full of grass. a wacky worm could work well, but then you go to pond B and its muddy with dirt bottom. probably not going to be the best tool for that condition. might need something louder, larger and more visible to get bit. pond C might have a couple fallen trees in the water where a tx rig or a jig might be the best option and a crank bait might be useless. hope that makes sense. fish
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Tarrant County - 02/11/20 01:39 AM

any body of water around here no matter if its the pond behind the library, a creek running through a neighborhood. they all have bass in them. google earth type apps make it fun finding and trying hidden little bodies of water as the obvious ones have been fished hard for decades.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/11/20 03:03 PM

Sounds like a good spot, I'll have to check that out.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/11/20 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by TajChauvin
Back when I lived in North Richland Hills (~2008) I spend a good amount of time fishing the banks of Marine Creek. Back then pumpkin/chartreuse ribbon tail worms and green pumpkin shaky heads did the trick most days. I then picked up a bass buster and started spending most of my weekends at the LBJ Grasslands. The grasslands have some good lakes with good size fish and seclusion if you don’t mind the drive.

I am going to have to go out to the grasslands some. Fishing in the city can be more stress than it is worth.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/11/20 03:27 PM

I see, definitely makes sense. So if I am fishing in the trinity wacky and Texas rig probably are to subtle to be seen, but something like a chatter bait, spinner bait, or lipless crank would work better because vibration. I know of a pond with tons of grass with clear water so a wacky rig in the pockets there. And throw a Texas rig/jig at wood or visible cover?

Re: Tarrant County - 02/11/20 03:29 PM

So once the spawn starts I should fish that channel and backwaters then post spawn into summer fish the reeds out towards the lake? I kayaked a couple of times out there before I started fishing. I went to the island once too.

Re: Tarrant County - 02/28/20 01:03 AM

Just in case anyone was wondering I broke my fishing curse. On a shakeyhead rage craw.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Piscivore

Re: Tarrant County - 02/28/20 01:18 AM

Good going! Nice pond bass.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Tarrant County - 02/28/20 01:19 AM

There ya go! Good ones too!
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Tarrant County - 02/28/20 01:23 AM

Just gotta have some faith lol winter fishing can be tough in texas.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Tarrant County - 02/28/20 12:53 PM

Fished Marine Creek for the first time last weekend...caught 6 fish and weather wise it was a really bad day...cold & nasty... I've heard people say Marine Creek is tough fishing but we did just fine and in my opinion, that lake is perfect for kayak fishing. Will probably be back out there on Saturday or Sunday as I want to road test my new kayak trailer. And I agree with the comments about the grasslands....great lakes there, very little pressure and some really good fish.
Posted By: STran

Re: Tarrant County - 02/28/20 08:12 PM

Just in case anyone was wondering I broke my fishing curse. On a shakeyhead rage craw.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice catch! Which spot did you end up going to?
Posted By: TreeBass14

Re: Tarrant County - 02/29/20 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by 9094
Ten mile bridge below eagle mountain. It runs into Lake Worth. Used to be pretty great fishing. A kayak is perfect down there.

Agreed but watch out for the Gators!! eek
Posted By: BNKrust

Re: Tarrant County - 02/29/20 06:58 AM

That mini-lake behind Home Depot in Waxahachie is clear, somewhat deep, and has some decent bass in it...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum