Texas Fishing Forum

Why be mad at Squaw Creek?

Posted By: Bass Buster1

Why be mad at Squaw Creek? - 02/10/20 04:38 PM

Took my Son in Law out Saturday, it was a beautiful day! We boated around 30 fish up to 4 pounds fishing plastics and spinnerbaits. Where else do you go this time of year and get 30 bites with several 2-3 pounders and a couple over 4 mixed in? For the most part the lake was not crowded and we only had two instances where someone was idling by fishing the bent pole pattern. Unfortunately we caught one while they were doing it and they stopped to fish by us. We left it to them and went somewhere else and caught them. I am no pro so 30 plus bites may be normal on my home lake of Ray Roberts right now for some but not for me. Anyway, it was a great day and the fish were fat, healthy, and willing to bite. What a fun place to fish!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Why be mad a Squaw Creek? - 02/10/20 04:41 PM

I completely agree with you. What other lake in dfw during the dead of winter can you get 30+ bites a day? It’s an awesome lake to practice with electronics & offshore techniques.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Why be mad a Squaw Creek? - 02/10/20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1
Took my Son in Law out Saturday, it was a beautiful day! We boated around 30 fish up to 4 pounds fishing plastics and spinnerbaits. Where else do you go this time of year and get 30 bites with several 2-3 pounders and a couple over 4 mixed in? For the most part the lake was not crowded and we only had two instances where someone was idling by fishing the bent pole pattern. Unfortunately we caught one while they were doing it and they stopped to fish by us. We left it to them and went somewhere else and caught them. I am no pro so 30 plus bites may be normal on my home lake of Ray Roberts right now for some but not for me. Anyway, it was a great day and the fish were fat, healthy, and willing to bite. What a fun place to fish!

I agree some people I guess don’t like the crowds
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: Why be mad a Squaw Creek? - 02/10/20 05:48 PM

Squaw is an interesting and fun place, in moderation. I had the second of two tournaments there yesterday and I'm happy to move on to some other lakes with Squaw behind me. My fishing partner and I practiced out there a lot after TTO and our club announced the schedules. Catching fish doesn't get old but the early mornings and the drive do.

On a side note: One of the guys in our club (Denton County) had big bass of 6.60lbs on Squaw yesterday which is not common.

I live near Ray Roberts so sleeping in and being 10 minutes from launch is a huge benefit. The chance at a 7lb plus fish seems like a good trade off for the slower days. I also struggle on Ray Roberts, but some guys get on them regularly so I just keep pounding my head against the wall trying to figure that place out.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Why be mad a Squaw Creek? - 02/10/20 05:53 PM

I agree with the above. Never give up!! Also helps to keep the slab ready for sand bass just to get some action.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum