Texas Fishing Forum

alabama rig bait question

Posted By: coachmatt

alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 02:26 PM

I am sure this has been answered before, but I searched and could not find anything. Is there a particular style of swimbait and size yall use as trailers that have been effective. Also do yall use white or a more shad colored bait. I have thrown this lure more times than I can count and maybe caught 2 or 3 bass total. Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Posted By: rj74955

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 02:47 PM

Gene Larew Sweet Swimmer, bright pearl. Dip the tails and hang on.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 02:50 PM

Small baits, light jig heads and reel it slow and low
Posted By: coachmatt

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

- that brings up another question, do yall use jig heads or swimbait hooks?
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by coachmatt
Originally Posted by Douglas J

- that brings up another question, do yall use jig heads or swimbait hooks?

open water open jig heads, grass or brush belly weight hooks
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 04:14 PM

Bass Pro Boss Shad works great. But the pre-rigged hook wears out after a few big sandys.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 04:37 PM

I've honestly caught more fish on the A Rig using the standard white grubs that come with the Flash Mob Jr. than I have using swim baits.
Posted By: Tommy D.

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 09:58 PM

Let me add this. Andy Poss the fellow who came up with the original Alabama Rig is a friend of mine. When he first got them going, he threw 4" Watermelon Grub on a 1/8 th oz. jig head a whole lot. He would also throw the smaller Swimming Fluke.

Tommy D.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 10:10 PM

I like the Berkley minnow baits that are internally weighted. With those you don't have to glue them on a jig head or keep putting them back on the jig head after they slide down. They also come in a 5 pack that is a perfect match for the 5 wire A-rig. I usually get two packs of different colors so I have enough for 2 A-rigs. I will put 4 baits the same color on the 4 outer wires and a different color on the longer center wire. Storm also makes several different sizes of weighted swimbaits but they usually come in a 3 pack. At times when the shad are real small that is when I use the Storm ones that are smaller than the Berkley ones. I usually stick with the shad patterns, some that have a green back, and some that are all chartruce. Pearl white colors just work that well for me for whatever reason, I have no idea, but that color seems to work well for a lot of others. Even a pearl white super fluke doesn't work as well for me as the other shad type and watermelon colors do.

Both the Berkley and Storm baits are pretty durable so you can catch a lot of fish on them without them falling apart too quickly. Both come with an exposed hood so I don't fish them around timber or heavy cover. For fishing one in cover I use a screw lock hook and regular small boot tail swim baits and Tx. rig them on the hook on a 3 wire A-rig.
Posted By: Bryan O'

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 10:41 PM

2 10 XD's and 3 Zara Spooks!
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Bryan O'

So you throw that on a spinning set up right?

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by LakeForkGroupie
Originally Posted by Bryan O'

So you throw that on a spinning set up right?

Snoopy rod and a zebco 202
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by ezbassin
I like the Berkley minnow baits that are internally weighted. With those you don't have to glue them on a jig head or keep putting them back on the jig head after they slide down. They also come in a 5 pack that is a perfect match for the 5 wire A-rig. I usually get two packs of different colors so I have enough for 2 A-rigs. I will put 4 baits the same color on the 4 outer wires and a different color on the longer center wire. Storm also makes several different sizes of weighted swimbaits but they usually come in a 3 pack. At times when the shad are real small that is when I use the Storm ones that are smaller than the Berkley ones. I usually stick with the shad patterns, some that have a green back, and some that are all chartruce. Pearl white colors just work that well for me for whatever reason, I have no idea, but that color seems to work well for a lot of others. Even a pearl white super fluke doesn't work as well for me as the other shad type and watermelon colors do.

Both the Berkley and Storm baits are pretty durable so you can catch a lot of fish on them without them falling apart too quickly. Both come with an exposed hood so I don't fish them around timber or heavy cover. For fishing one in cover I use a screw lock hook and regular small boot tail swim baits and Tx. rig them on the hook on a 3 wire A-rig.

I thought I was the only one who did that with the Berkley packs?

Re: alabama rig bait question - 02/10/20 11:32 PM

I guess there are two of doing that with the Berkley baits. LOL
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum