Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it?

Posted By: rkd

Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 07:58 PM

Thinking about buying a 2017 Skeeter with 50 hours total on engine. Original motor. One owner. All service done at the dealership where it was bought. Exterior of boat is in excellent shape but I haven't had it on the water yet. Original warranty on motor is thru March 2020. So I basically have one month left of coverage. Can buy an extended Yamaha warranty for $1500. Yamaha 225SHO. Is there a diagnostic test I can ask the service department to run before I buy the boat? Is an extended warrant worth the $$?
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 08:03 PM

Get all you can get.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 08:23 PM

I would not get the extended warranty.
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 08:33 PM

Get it. A new powerhead on a SHO would cost you $13,000-14,000 if it were to blow. I'm not saying the odds are high that it will blow (because they are pretty low IMO), but I'd still recommend it as long as you can get it.

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 08:52 PM

What tests should I ask the service department to run on the boat before I buy it? I would be worried if I spent $1500 on an extended warranty and when the powerhead does blow up, they will not cover due to "pre-existing" issues, or an improper break-in (again, motor only has 50 hours on it), etc.
Posted By: carlots

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 09:56 PM

the extended warranty paid for a new powerhead on my SHO, so I'd say get it .
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 10:59 PM

"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of s#%$. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me."

- Tommy Hancock circa 1995

If the peace of mind is worth 1500$ to you do it, but a Yamaha with 50 hours on it is going to be bullet proof for the next 250 hours as long as you keep up with the maintenance. You'd be better off just doing a 100 hour maintenance on it with a compression check. Probably save you 700$ or so.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 11:02 PM

Shop around as you might can find a better price.
Posted By: Catch&Release-Me-Again

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 11:19 PM

Buy it, if you don't you'll be a dummy.Being polite
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 11:25 PM

it is a good value if you need it sho motors you cant just do a cylinder or two like a two stoke once it goes out of warranty you cant get it.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/03/20 11:25 PM

Is it through Yamaha? How long is the extended warranty?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 02:30 AM

Not to be picky... Well, yes; I am... gumshoe

Originally Posted by thirtysixit
"Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of s#%$. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me."

- Tommy Callahan circa 1995

Herbie Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence. roflmao

SERIOUSLY, THANKS FOR BRINGING IT UP! I contend it was Chris Farley's Best Performance!!!! May he RIP angel2
Posted By: Atta

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 12:56 PM

Find out what the warranty covers. I have the extended warranty on my Merc and it doesn't cover anything that isn't lubricated. Ive had to replace motor mounts, tracker valves, and some other small items that IMO should be warrantied but isn't covered under platinum. They do cover injectors, rails, and big stuff which I guess is great. I have had injectors replaced under warranty so that saved me about 800 bucks. 1500 in the grand scheme of things is nothing when faced with a rebuild or replace of the powerhead.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 01:35 PM

It's probably a factory warranty that covers everything. I bought an '18 recently and the full Yamaha warranty expires in Aug 2021. If I only had a couple of months left, I would buy it just for piece of mind. With only 50 hours, she's been sitting longer than running. Sitting is not a good thing for these high performance motors. They are made to run hard. $1500 is chump change as compared to what it would cost to replace powerhead or anything else that goes wrong.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 01:38 PM

Never buy an extended warranty for a Toyota, a Honda or a Yamaha.

You won't need it.

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 02:20 PM

Thanks everyone. Looks like its about 50/50 on getting the warranty. It's the YES plan from Yamaha (direct) and is for an extra 2 years. Covers EVERYTHING, not just the lubricated parts. I agree, sitting with 50 hours isn't necessarily a good thing. I'm still debating. Peace of mind is good but I wish the total price was about half of the $1500.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 04:15 PM

well Tommy Boy said you could stick your head up a bull's butt to see if the meat is good. but I'd rather take the butcher's word for it.
Posted By: Unclebubba

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 05:00 PM

You don't expect your house to catch on fire, but you still have insurance. The YES is basically insurance against breakdown. $1500 for two years is a fair price. Personally, I would get it. You may never use it, but if you need it, you will be VERY happy that you have it.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 05:10 PM

For $1,500, I'd pay for the peace of mind for an additional 2 years.
Posted By: river oaks

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 07:37 PM

its a yamaha get the warranty every time
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by river oaks
its a yamaha get the warranty every time

Thats weird as only had to have 1 Yamaha I've owned in shop just once for something other than routine maintenance. Can't say that about another brand. Every o e of that brand I have had has been in shop numerous times.
Posted By: franchi

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 08:13 PM

As far as I am concerned extended warranties are like buying an annuity. The insurance company is going to make there money off you. Or they wouldn’t be in business
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/04/20 10:35 PM

^^ this.
Extended warranties are heavily front end loaded.
But, in the end some folks like to feel covered, others would rather have the money in their pocket and let the manufacturer warranty the item.
I have buddies that buy warranties for everything.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/05/20 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Not to be picky... Well, yes; I am... gumshoe

Originally Posted by thirtysixit

- Tommy Callahan circa 1995

Herbie Hancock signed the Declaration of Independence. roflmao

SERIOUSLY, THANKS FOR BRINGING IT UP! I contend it was Chris Farley's Best Performance!!!! May he RIP angel2

Nice catch!!! You are 100% correct sir. By far my favorite Chris Farley performance as well.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/05/20 01:50 PM

The price sure seems fair enough, with that being said I never ever buy extended warranties.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/05/20 01:59 PM

If a new power head is 15,000, do you think the chance of blowing yours is greater than 1 in 10 over the next two years? Yamaha wouldn't be in business if it was. I'd pass as I do on all extended warranties. I've had zero issues with my 7 year old Yamaha so that probably colors my opinion a bit as well.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
It's probably a factory warranty that covers everything. I bought an '18 recently and the full Yamaha warranty expires in Aug 2021. If I only had a couple of months left, I would buy it just for piece of mind. With only 50 hours, she's been sitting longer than running. Sitting is not a good thing for these high performance motors. They are made to run hard. $1500 is chump change as compared to what it would cost to replace powerhead or anything else that goes wrong.

+1
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
If a new power head is 15,000, do you think the chance of blowing yours is greater than 1 in 10 over the next two years? Yamaha wouldn't be in business if it was. I'd pass as I do on all extended warranties. I've had zero issues with my 7 year old Yamaha so that probably colors my opinion a bit as well.

Exactly how I look at it. Also haven't had any problems with my 6 year old Yamaha.
Posted By: Bigg Un

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 01:39 PM

I recently did a repower on my Skeeter...the six year warranty that was being advertised at the time was a big factor in that decision...personally i would purchase it...two yrs of peace of mind so you can concentrate on fishing..in those two yrs you'll know the condition of what you've bought...
Posted By: cephusjoe

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 03:35 PM

^

Same, I got the 6 year promo for free. I will pay the 1500 for the extended warranty. 8 years of warranty for 1500 is a good deal. Plus it is a peace of mind deal for me... When I’m fishing I know I’m covered which helps on tournament day.
Posted By: TexasMo

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 03:54 PM

i'd get it... can't predict when things will break... and I would rather be insured for $1500, instead of waiting to have it broken and then costing me 4X more..

Mo
Posted By: salex

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue

+1
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 07:59 PM

Here is a better idea; you have to have boat insurance anyway- look at Travelers insurance. They have replacement in their policy. I blew a cylinder last year and because it wasn't maintenance related, they covered my rebuild! Travelers was cheaper and better coverage than other companies when I shopped around two years ago and again last year.

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 08:21 PM

Ok, so I have a month remaining on the original warranty. Before I have to decide on an extended warranty, if I run it hard for the next month should that make me feel better about getting or passing on extended warranty? Is that enough time to put a motor through the motions? And I didn't think about insurance covering a re-build. Not sure I want to fight them on what is considered "maintenance related" but it's an interesting thought.
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by rkd
Ok, so I have a month remaining on the original warranty. Before I have to decide on an extended warranty, if I run it hard for the next month should that make me feel better about getting or passing on extended warranty? Is that enough time to put a motor through the motions? And I didn't think about insurance covering a re-build. Not sure I want to fight them on what is considered "maintenance related" but it's an interesting thought.

It wasn't a fight at all. They hired an expert to go to the repair shop and look the motor and boat over. Obviously the mechanics knew he was coming so they had already looked everything over and told me there was nothing he would find. I always keep up on maintenance so I knew the expert wouldn't find anything. Rebuild was paid for except my deductible. And, most insurance company boat policies do not cover break-downs; Travelers do.

Side note: Charlies Outboard in Alvarado was great! I highly recommend their service.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Bigg Un
..personally i would purchase it...two yrs of peace of mind so you can concentrate on fishing...
How many of you guys days on the lakes are spent “concentrating” on wether or not your motors going to blow?:D
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/06/20 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by 361V
Originally Posted by Bigg Un
..personally i would purchase it...two yrs of peace of mind so you can concentrate on fishing...
How many of you guys days on the lakes are spent “concentrating” on wether or not your motors going to blow?:D

When I ran HPDI's, every minute of every day.

Re: Yamaha Extended Warranty at $1500. Is it worth it? - 02/07/20 04:46 PM

So the insurance comment got me to thinking. I did research and found a policy with Progressive that may cover a re-build should something go wrong. Cut and pasted (below) straight from their website. Does this sound like the kind of coverage we're discussing?

Propulsion Plus® mechanical breakdown coverage
We’ll pay to repair or replace the lower unit of an outboard motor, or upper & lower units of an inboard/outboard motor if you have a mechanical breakdown. And yes, we’ll still cover it if it’s caused by general wear and tear. Starts at $38/year. Propulsion Plus does not apply to jet drives or inboard motors.

Example: Your 10-year old lower unit simply runs its course and dies on you. Typically, insurance wouldn’t pay for that because wear and tear is not covered. This coverage is different. Add Propulsion Plus, and, if it can’t repaired, we’ll replace it with a brand new one.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum