Texas Fishing Forum

FLW series won with a spoon

Posted By: slim 285

FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:48 AM

That’s different for Toledo Bend. Or is it . Does anybody use a jigging spoon much anymore around Texas . That’s one of those baits that for me has been forgotten about since I don’t do much winter fishing anymore.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:53 AM

Cody Huff is gonna be a super star. Believe it or not, Rick Clunn who lives in the same town as Cody, says so. Clunn is a self described student of Cody’s electronic prowess. He’s another soon the be famous Bethel Fishing alum.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:54 AM

Definitely sounds different the way he was doing it. Finding suspended fish. Not something you here about much. I think Joe Joslin does it a good bit though
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:54 AM

I have been doing pretty well with one lately, but then I tried jigging a 1oz Megabass dark sleeper and learned they catch bass, catfish and huge crappie!

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61
Cody Huff is gonna be a super star. Believe it or not, Rick Clunn who lives in the same town as Cody, says so. Clunn is a self described student of Cody’s electronic prowess. He’s another soon the be famous Bethel Fishing alum.

I am just a little younger than Clunn , electronics is not our generations strong suit .
Posted By: mudd

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 03:02 AM

Academy and Bass Pro sold out already

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by mudd

Lol.... I don’t doubt it .
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 03:36 AM

I've got a few.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by slim 285
That’s different for Toledo Bend. Or is it . Does anybody use a jigging spoon much anymore around Texas . That’s one of those baits that for me has been forgotten about since I don’t do much winter fishing anymore.

These two were caught on spoons while working the Whites last week on Stillhouse.
https://texasfishingforum.com/forum...itebass-don-harpers-the-man#Post13416571
Posted By: senko9S

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 03:44 AM

rolleyes

plug plug here, plug plug there...
Posted By: andy52887

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 03:53 AM

Sound a bit jealous senko9s
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by mudd

SMH...…. SMH
Posted By: nautiboy

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:48 AM

a couple years back , on lake fork , weren't the toyota tournament guys catching goood fish with spoons ? if i remember right , it was during the fall . they were catching a lot of white bass also .
Posted By: Walls

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 05:04 AM

Super cold water = dying shad=spoon success. Even though we do not have super cold water right now, I believe it has to do with seasonal conditioning. Habit.i have caught some huge fish on a spoon in January:February in a big range of surface temps.
Posted By: Jim Muirheid

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 09:52 AM

I think it's true that a jigging spoon is a weapon year round for deep structure fish.
If you can see them on your electronics you can usually catch them on a spoon.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by nautiboy

a couple years back , on lake fork , weren't the toyota tournament guys catching goood fish with spoons ? if i remember right , it was during the fall . they were catching a lot of white bass also .

On Fork they were using a flutter spoon. This was a old school jigging spoon that Huff used at Toledo.
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 01:48 PM

The spoon Huff used looked like a CC spoon, I talked to his day one co-angler & he said they were in 60 plus feet of water & Cody was watching them on the screen when they would hit the spoon.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Muirheid
I think it's true that a jigging spoon is a weapon year round for deep structure fish.
If you can see them on your electronics you can usually catch them on a spoon.

Yep
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:22 PM

I got on a similar pattern out there a few weeks ago in 49’ of water. It’s great to see the new young talent emerging.
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by andy52887

Nobody with any sense that has fished more than 2 years is jealous of a man selling worm extract and maps to a bunch of goofballs
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Used2fish

Nobody with any sense that has fished more than 2 years is jealous of a man selling worm extract and maps to a bunch of goofballs

roflmao roflmao roflmao thumb
Posted By: T Bird

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:35 PM

Ask Craig and Carla Gilbert. They've made many thousands of dollars on Belton and Stillhouse with a spoon.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by skeeterbugzx300
The spoon Huff used looked like a CC spoon, I talked to his day one co-angler & he said they were in 60 plus feet of water & Cody was watching them on the screen when they would hit the spoon.

I don't think a CC Spoon comes in 7/8oz. The article on FLW mentions he used a 7/8oz.
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:11 PM

maybe so but the one he was holding up looked like a big CC spoon.
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:14 PM

So was he using a metal "SPOON" or a lead jigging slab/ spoon.
My mentor would straighten you out real quick if you called a chunk of lead a spoon.. "Son a chunk of lead is a SLAB" banana

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:14 PM

congrats to the angler on a nice win.

roflmao

[Linked Image]

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:25 PM

War eagle makes a 7/8oz, but a spoon is a spoon.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 04:28 PM

easy to pour homemade as well. a ton of 7/8thoz options out there that look alike.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 05:38 PM

roflmao roflmao

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

really
Posted By: lconn4

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:18 PM

I’ve been wanting to try these 5” saltwater lead spoons. [Linked Image]

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:23 PM

they work just like they do on tuna, I use lighter ones though. I have a rod specifically made for bass butterfly jigs with an adjustable length handle to tuck in your armpit for effortless jigging.
[Linked Image]

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by fishnfireman

really

In jigging spoons yes. Not talking about flutter and such.
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:48 PM

Cody Huff seems to be really good with his sonar units. It would be interesting to know which ones he uses. For the Live Scope and Live Sight folks, can you see the fish hitting the jigging spoons?
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:55 PM

The jigging spoon and tail spinner is one of those things not talked about much at rayburn, toledo and fork in east Texas. All the serious deep structure fisherman almost always have one handy in case they see fish on their depth finder they can drop down and see what kind of fish they are pretty quick. Everything will bite a spoon.
Posted By: Capt. Bryan

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 06:55 PM

The jigging spoon and tail spinner is one of those things not talked about much at rayburn, toledo and fork in east Texas. All the serious deep structure fisherman almost always have one handy in case they see fish on their depth finder they can drop down and see what kind of fish they are pretty quick. Everything will bite a spoon.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/02/20 07:36 PM

It was more about his use of the live scope than it was the spoon. Another guy in the top 10 did the same exact thing. Livescope and a spoon.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Capt. Bryan

Same goes for Amistad. Tail spins-- jigging spoons and even lead weighted blade baits can whack em on deep ledges. Good electronics and knowing what your looking at helps. Just like any other style of fishing-- it's amazing how there mood determines where they are positioned and what makes them react. One day they want a 1oz lead slab with a feather hopped 6' off the bottom the next it may take a 1/2 oz and no feather just barley moved. Other days a tail spin or the vibration of a blade bait will get a reaction.
But then I've heard a "spoon is a spoon"

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Capt. Bryan

Same goes for Amistad. Tail spins-- jigging spoons and even lead weighted blade baits can whack em on deep ledges. Good electronics and knowing what your looking at helps. Just like any other style of fishing-- it's amazing how there mood determines where they are positioned and what makes them react. One day they want a 1oz lead slab with a feather hopped 6' off the bottom the next it may take a 1/2 oz and no feather just barley moved. Other days a tail spin or the vibration of a blade bait will get a reaction.
But then I've heard a "spoon is a spoon"

A man with all that wealth of knowledge must have won lots of tournaments at Amistad!
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 12:27 AM

My dad is old school and fished Amistad for 40 years. To this day his favorite technique is a 1 oz slab in either, chartreuse, purple or black. He bounced that thing down ledges and still talks about catching them in 80ft. He shined in the winter months and definitely didn’t have electronics on his side, this was in the 80s and 90s when a paper graph was the deal! I netted his PB of 11 lb 7 oz he caught on a slab in January in a tournament when most didn’t catch a keeper, pops had 5 all on his slab! To this day he lights up when the slab comes out of the Tackle box.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by kellisag

roflmao roflmao

clap
Posted By: Used2fish

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
My dad is old school and fished Amistad for 40 years. To this day his favorite technique is a 1 oz slab in either, chartreuse, purple or black. He bounced that thing down ledges and still talks about catching them in 80ft. He shined in the winter months and definitely didn’t have electronics on his side, this was in the 80s and 90s when a paper graph was the deal! I netted his PB of 11 lb 7 oz he caught on a slab in January in a tournament when most didn’t catch a keeper, pops had 5 all on his slab! To this day he lights up when the slab comes out of the Tackle box.

thumb good stuff

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket

cheers Pops could prob teach us a thing or two on jigging.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 01:26 AM

The best part about netting his PB was he was cussing and intentionally trying to lose the fish on the way to the boat because he just knew it was a gasper goo with out even seeing it. Oh how his attitude changed when he saw the golden color of that monster when he saw it, he said, don’t you dare miss that sob when I get him to the net. roflmao I didn’t miss!

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Jarrett Latta
It was more about his use of the live scope than it was the spoon. Another guy in the top 10 did the same exact thing. Livescope and a spoon.

The live scope is unbelievable.. and it’s been a while since a jigging spoon has been the winning lure .

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 01:31 AM

A man with all that wealth of knowledge must have won lots of tournaments at Amistad!

Enough to know the difference in "spoons" and you ?

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 01:35 AM

The live scope is unbelievable.. and it’s been a while since a jigging spoon has been the winning lure .

thumb

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 02:14 AM

Enough to know the difference in "spoons" and you ?

Well...I know that a jigging spoon is jigging spoon. I can’t help it if you want to find something stupid to argue about, like you always try too do. But hey, if it makes you feel smarter and like a real fisherman, then jigging spoons are all different and they don’t basically go up and down...there you win, congratulations.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 02:19 AM

are yall brothers?

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
are yall brothers?

Nah, I think a jigging spoon is a jigging spoon and he thinks they are vastly different. No way brothers could ever think that differently. He likes a good argument, kind of like engineers.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 04:03 PM

Well...I know that a jigging spoon is jigging spoon.

My questioning was to determine which kind of spoon was being used. Lots of anglers use flutter spoons.. But you rarely hear of a jigging spoon in a big tournament. .
I'll somewhat agree with your last statement " a jigging spoon is a jigging spoon" For clarification on this topic a spoon is not a spoon. To some there is a BIG difference in how a flutter spoon is fished vs a jigging/slab spoon. I think you realized that or you wouldn't have changed the wording to CYA..
Next time you feel the need for a snide comment .. Don't get all pissie later and change the wording !!!
Had you simply amended the first erroneous comment you could have left out all that childish BS in between.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 04:41 PM

Dang this guy won the College Series on Toledo, then the next weekend wins the FLW Series. Back to back wins on the same fishery, that's impressive. Especially the stacked FLW field that showed up. He won wire to wire on the Bassmaster College Series with a Jigging spoon as well.

Dang all you guys are going to be throwing a spoon next January.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 05:04 PM

My questioning was to determine which kind of spoon was being used. Lots of anglers use flutter spoons.. But you rarely hear of a jigging spoon in a big tournament. .
I'll somewhat agree with your last statement " a jigging spoon is a jigging spoon" For clarification on this topic a spoon is not a spoon. To some there is a BIG difference in how a flutter spoon is fished vs a jigging/slab spoon. I think you realized that or you wouldn't have changed the wording to CYA..
Next time you feel the need for a snide comment .. Don't get all pissie later and change the wording !!!
Had you simply amended the first erroneous comment you could have left out all that childish BS in between.

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2020-02-03-top-10-baits-from-toledo-bend
Here is the spoon. It's what I typically use for white bass.
Posted By: Jason Hoffman -- Lake Fork Guide

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Creekhead
Cody Huff seems to be really good with his sonar units. It would be interesting to know which ones he uses. For the Live Scope and Live Sight folks, can you see the fish hitting the jigging spoons?

Yes sir!

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/03/20 07:04 PM

https://www.flwfishing.com/news/2020-02-03-top-10-baits-from-toledo-bend
Here is the spoon. It's what I typically use for white bass.

thumb Looks like a War Eagle Jiggin' spoon. They come with a swivel . Fle Fly makes some good ones. I also like the ones made by P line --- bigger selection of sizes and colors but have to add a swivel..
Posted By: MurraynTx

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 07:31 AM

I was fishing the same area as Cody and watched closely. He was using Livescope and CASTING the jig at fish he could see out in front of him. We were in 60 FOW, the bass were 15-20 deep over the shad. I was having to blind cast. Ordered a Livescope bundle today!
Posted By: buda13

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 10:36 AM

It’s funny how much people freak out over a bait that a pro won with. Jigging spoons have been around forever and usually collect dust on the shelves... since this tournament a person can’t pour them fast enough around the Toledo area. If your around Toledo and can’t find jigging spoons check Holly Park Marina, they keep a good supply year round.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 12:39 PM

I guess the question to be asked is, did somebody finally find where all the fish in Toledo disappeared too? I've thought for a while that they just go suspend out in the middle in timber or the river channel.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 01:38 PM

Oh I see what happened here. You thought my comment was directed to your question, I apologize it was not. I was posting about the size because someone asked (don’t think it was you) what brand makes a 7/8oz. When I wrote a spoon is a spoon, I meant in jigging; because that’s what the OP was about. Yes I agree that when there are many different styles of spoons, but I was just referring too the OP and size, 3/4oz 7/8oz 1oz not much difference. My apologies that you took my post wrong, I have done the same thing. cheers (felt like you were nit picking a simple comment)

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by MurraynTx
I was fishing the same area as Cody and watched closely. He was using Livescope and CASTING the jig at fish he could see out in front of him. We were in 60 FOW, the bass were 15-20 deep over the shad. I was having to blind cast. Ordered a Livescope bundle today!

This is interesting. Were these like short pitches or longer cast? I don’t have livescope, so I don’t know it’s useful range. Would also be nice to know why a jigging vs a flutter style when fishing like that.

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 02:11 PM

Oh I see what happened here. You thought my comment was directed to your question, I apologize it was not. I was posting about the size because someone asked (don’t think it was you) what brand makes a 7/8oz. When I wrote a spoon is a spoon, I meant in jigging; because that’s what the OP was about. Yes I agree that when there are many different styles of spoons, but I was just referring too the OP and size, 3/4oz 7/8oz 1oz not much difference. My apologies that you took my post wrong, I have done the same thing. cheers (felt like you were nit picking a simple comment)

really .
Posted By: PK Logistics

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 02:26 PM

The tournament was won with LiveScope, period.
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 06:01 PM

Thanks Jason. I think I saw he was using Livescope. Guess its time to pony up the cash for this technology.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: FLW series won with a spoon - 02/05/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by the skipper
I guess the question to be asked is, did somebody finally find where all the fish in Toledo disappeared too? I've thought for a while that they just go suspend out in the middle in timber or the river channel.

They've been doing this since Toledo was impounded. It's always been a deep winter school lake. The deal is, can you win a 1 day event on nomadic roaming school fish? The answer is no not likely. It's a great pattern for a 3-4 day event where you need consistency but unless you're just fishing for a check in basschamps, it won't be winning most likely.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum