Texas Fishing Forum

Fork Fishing Investment

Posted By: Statton48

Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 12:39 AM

Wife and I are looking at building a lodge/venue type place on the water in east Texas area. Of course, my pick is mother fork. Great fishery, beautiful scenery, and far enough away from the metro or any other major towns.
Goal is to be able to sleep roughly 8-10 at a time possibly 12. Have enough covered parking to withstand 4 boats comfortably and Of course chargers. Think lodge for the living area with good kitchen. Water front, with boat slips also. Kid play area, big back porch with grill, washers, corn hole, bid screen tv, etc etc. this would be a place where fisherman can come, fish, relax and get away. Also nice enough for country wedding or birthday, retirement, company party, or family reunion. I could offer dinner menu for large events.

So, I want some of y’alls honest, no b.s opinions on this. Do y’all think this is a good lake choice? I mean, her and I would be investing a lot of time and money on this and looking for a small return. More or less for it to pay for itself if anything. Let’s hear it..... all the good and bad. Give me ideas
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 12:54 AM

There are some closed down or for sale at Fork now. Might not be the best investment at the moment in tbat area. We went to one of the best and busiest marinas last night for dinner there around 6:30PM. Literally 3 other people in whole place.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 12:55 AM

first off, have you done your own homework on the history and present of businesses like this around Fork?

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
first off, have you done your own homework on the history and present of businesses like this around Fork?

No sir, we’re in the process now of it. One reasoning for asking here. My feelings wouldn’t be hurt at all if everyone steered me away from fork. It’s just a dream of ours, just fork was the first water that popped up

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 01:53 AM

its a legitimate business question for anyone wanting to invest in a business. fork area has decades of history, most public info. I would highly recommend researching it so you can even start to comprehend some of the replies you will get on here before thinking about spending a penny. 2cents
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 02:03 AM

In my opinion, Fork is a bad investment for what you are looking to do. If I were you, I would for a lake that had plenty of tournaments for large groups of fisherman, but also something that will attract the multi-family vacation groups, and Fork just doesn't have the recreation atmosphere for that last group (plus the tournaments suck because of the slot). Unfortunately the best alakes for what you are looking for are likely Corp lakes which eliminates boat slips.

I would think more recreational for the size lodge you are talking about. If you are looking more towards single family house then Fork is probably ok, but still not where I would put my investment. Check out AirBNB/VRBO for various lakes you are looking at and see which lake has the fewest options and highest booking rates.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 02:10 AM

Best business you can have at Fork is boat stalls. Secured gate nice location.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sinkey

I’ve herd this more than once for sure. Something I may look into. Thanks you for the input

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by Shallow Waters
In my opinion, Fork is a bad investment for what you are looking to do. If I were you, I would for a lake that had plenty of tournaments for large groups of fisherman, but also something that will attract the multi-family vacation groups, and Fork just doesn't have the recreation atmosphere for that last group (plus the tournaments suck because of the slot). Unfortunately the best alakes for what you are looking for are likely Corp lakes which eliminates boat slips.

I would think more recreational for the size lodge you are talking about. If you are looking more towards single family house then Fork is probably ok, but still not where I would put my investment. Check out AirBNB/VRBO for various lakes you are looking at and see which lake has the fewest options and highest booking rates.

Great idea, the wife was just looking at fork. Seems a few are making it and then others are..... you know. Definitely going to check other locations. We’re just not wanting to travel to far.
Posted By: Bruce Allen

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 03:48 AM

the storage units next to the Skeeter dealer on SH 154 behind the carwash is for sale. It has a good payback. Then buy some land nearby and put in your bigger facility.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 05:13 AM

Lake Fork Lodge on 515 was for sale a while back. https://lakeforklodge.com/rates/ Basically the concept you are proposing you may want to reach out to them......I stayed there once back in the 90s. Super nice folks and it was a great stay. Not sure why I didn’t stay there more reflecting back. Edit - pricing was why and wanted more of a private cabin option than hotel. Also, I had friends move/retire at the lake in addition to other reasonably priced stay options. For instance there are now tons of park home options for the week enders and a number of cabin options for extended stays like the ones at popes.

I think your idea is contingent on how the lake fishes. It would need to start cranking out the numbers of 13+ lb fish it used to to bring back the out of towners.........however I have always thought a family based cabin/s with main lodge option would be nice......throw in a a swimming pool and offer a product slanted to affordable family stays. The country wedding is also in vogue now but there are a number of those options solely wedding focused around the fork area...ex brother in law opened a wedding venue in Cooper area and it is doing well..good luck!!!
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 05:48 AM

Fork being a Bass lake with lots of water hazards is not the best location for all of that. Try a more recreation-friendly lake...

In the area, Tawakoni is lacking good facilities!

Another areas to consider - Cedar Creek

Check with the Corps about expanding venues at lakes in the DFW are like LAVON and RayBob… Could be options, and more likely to be productive for the long-haul!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 12:10 PM

texoma for what you want to do.

at fork, you would for sure fill during the big tournaments then it becomes marketing and service to keep bookings coming in.

if fork then you should find somewhere close to the golf course, this could add to bookings other than fishermen. check with the sra and find out what the chances of a dock system is, they have final say and permit them.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 12:15 PM

Fork is too seasonal

I remember when I bought my lot up there in the early 90's, Burning Stump was for sale back then.

I have sent sold and decided not to move to Lake Fork years ago.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 12:31 PM

Anyone buying a business around Fork for an investment/profit, has not done their homework....plain & simple.
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 01:52 PM

I think you would be better served and do far better if you look at the new "Bois d' Arc" laqke under construction currently northwest of Fork. Being on the ground floor with a new lake that is smaller but has potential to be great it's first few years will be a home run for someone knowing their stuff and having a good business model, Customer service will be the key.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 02:06 PM

I love Fork but I feel it would be a terrible investment. Its a fishing lake, period. I would look at Broken Bow for this type of venture. Many have and are doing extremely well. Lots of things other than fishing to draw folks.
Posted By: speedcrawler

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by GRUMPS
I think you would be better served and do far better if you look at the new "Bois d' Arc" laqke under construction currently northwest of Fork. Being on the ground floor with a new lake that is smaller but has potential to be great it's first few years will be a home run for someone knowing their stuff and having a good business model, Customer service will be the key.

I agree with Grumps. There could be a big ROI on Bois d Arc. I don't know how you can determine best location but I would do a lot of research on this lake. I would also by some land for a boat storage facility there.

I also agree with everyone else that thinks this would be a bad investment on Fork.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
There are some closed down or for sale at Fork now. Might not be the best investment at the moment in tbat area. We went to one of the best and busiest marinas last night for dinner there around 6:30PM. Literally 3 other people in whole place.

+1 probably would be better to go buy something else
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 04:36 PM

Fishing is seasonal. Late Summer time and fall can be tough stretches on businesses that rely on fishing traffic. If your looking to make money, I would look into another business not relying on fishing only.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 04:37 PM

Thanks everyone for the input. I was about 90% sure it was going to go this way.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 05:29 PM

It’s hard to make a living in the recreation business. Not impossible by any means, a lot of folk do, but it’s not easy, nor are restaurants, etc.
wish y’all the best
Posted By: camo-jorts

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 06:27 PM

100 percent would look at Lake Texoma.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 06:44 PM

Quail Hollow in Little Caney is for sale, has been for a few years. Needs some work. I think about $600k.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 07:28 PM

Maybe Texoma, I would really concentrate on a venue for weddings, reunions, etc, don't rely on fishermen. we are too damn tight, lol.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by speedcrawler
Originally Posted by GRUMPS

I agree with Grumps. There could be a big ROI on Bois d Arc. I don't know how you can determine best location but I would do a lot of research on this lake. I would also by some land for a boat storage facility there.

I also agree with everyone else that thinks this would be a bad investment on Fork.

Unless it turns out to be another Cooper and can't maintain water level which is what many are afraid of.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/27/20 11:20 PM

it probably will, fresh water is the "new" Texas oil cowboy
Posted By: Kodyjoe

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 01:28 AM

Got a friend that has land for sale at new bois darc lake not far from a boat ramp Be glad to help you meet him if you would like but like mentioned above i am afraid they will keep it drawed down
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 03:31 AM

My wife and I purchased a place similar to your concept on Rayburn that had a lodge, 6 cabins and 18 boat storage units. I retired early and still needed something to keep me busy and this worked out perfect for us. We kept it for 6 years and just sold it a last year. Feel free to reach out for some words of wisdom.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton
Fork being a Bass lake with lots of water hazards is not the best location for all of that. Try a more recreation-friendly lake...

Check with the Corps about expanding venues at lakes in the DFW are like LAVON and RayBob… Could be options, and more likely to be productive for the long-haul!

For those of us who have worked hard to be able to move lakeside at one of these lakes (Bought an existing home on Ray Roberts for us) the last thing anyone that lives out there wants is a venue drawing people to the area. The small communities will fight you big time if you try to do something like that. It is peaceful living but there is a price, I drive at least an hour each way 5 days a week to enjoy it. We also have to drive 20 min to a 1/2 hour in any direction to get to gas or a dollar store and we like it that way. Please come and fish the lake all you want we, all own it, it is beautiful and peaceful. It will not stay that way if it is developed to the enth degree like everywhere else around here seems to be going. Respectfully, please stay far away from Ray Roberts with any business ideas that would draw a crowd.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bass Buster1

For those of us who have worked hard to be able to move lakeside at one of these lakes (Bought an existing home on Ray Roberts for us) the last thing anyone that lives out there wants is a venue drawing people to the area. The small communities will fight you big time if you try to do something like that. It is peaceful living but there is a price, I drive at least an hour each way 5 days a week to enjoy it. We also have to drive 20 min to a 1/2 hour in any direction to get to gas or a dollar store and we like it that way. Please come and fish the lake all you want we, all own it, it is beautiful and peaceful. It will not stay that way if it is developed to the enth degree like everywhere else around here seems to be going. Respectfully, please stay far away from Ray Roberts with any business ideas that would draw a crowd.

So basically you are saying it's like in-laws, stay little while but eventually you have to go home
roflmao
Posted By: Rog

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

So basically you are saying it's like in-laws, stay little while but eventually you have to go home
roflmao

Fished Roberts from canoe before it opened. I don’t consider it “out in the country” anymore. Things are developing north so fast it wont be long before it’s a city lake like Ray Hubbard or Lewisville. Just heard the north toll way is supposed to tie into 35 up by Gainesville. I can remember when it stopped at Keller Springs and Frisco/The colony was out in the country. Lol. Roberts may be a great option for a venue like you propose especially if they limit lake front development long term.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 09:31 PM

roflmao

Exactly!! IMO Trump is building the border wall on the wrong side of the state! We need one on the West, North, and East sides! Too many people moving in! The ones from the South side have already been here a long time and aren't hurting anyone. I worry about the other foreign countries like California and New York... grin

BTW just having a little fun, sorry to hijack the post. OP Bless you and your family and I wish you success in your business idea, venues seem to be very popular right now!
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 09:41 PM

I don't know Bois D' Arc might be the next TPW lake failure like Cooper was/is. Cooper was supposed to be the next Fork and after maybe 5 years hardly anyone fishes it (at least for bass). I know the drought had a big hand in it's demise.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 10:05 PM

I think the ducking hunting is going to be way better than the fishing on Bois D Arc.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 10:07 PM

Investing in Fork would be the worst possible move you could make. Bois D Arc is the move to make.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 10:11 PM

This,...They just doubled the size of where I keep my boat. I have a RV there, and Fork is a ghost town in winter. One thing is Fork is not
a recreation lake, it's not a vacation place to come for boating, sking, seado's. There's not much to do if you are not fishing, or in a tournament.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 10:49 PM

roflmao

No, he's saying "GET OFF MY LAWN!" frkazoid

We need an old man in a rocking chair on a back porch emoticon!

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 11:06 PM

roflmao

I wish we could have docks so I could brush it up real good, put buoys around it and yell at people for fishing it grin

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 11:08 PM

Kidding grin grin

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 11:43 PM

What you’re really saying is it’s the perfect business opportunity and I should act quickly. Thank you!!!

I’m just kidding, I respectfully understand what you mean.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/28/20 11:53 PM

Sinkey Have you ever seen the duck pictures that John had at Fishermans one stop Thats where they came from right where the dam is being built I have given them to a bunch of people
Posted By: DarrellSimpson

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by hopalong
texoma for what you want to do.

at fork, you would for sure fill during the big tournaments then it becomes marketing and service to keep bookings coming in.

if fork then you should find somewhere close to the golf course, this could add to bookings other than fishermen. check with the sra and find out what the chances of a dock system is, they have final say and permit them.

I second Texoma , Its a body of water that can support water sports as well as fishing for more than one species as well as areas for the weekend Kayaks .
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 01:31 AM

I agree.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 01:56 AM

I have kody. I’ve been hunting the Red River the last 20 years. Bohnam area is real good. As is the other side of Texoma. The thing I’m not getting is all the talk about Bois D Ark. Its being built by the water district for water use. This is not going to be a Lake Fork unless TPW makes it that way. But the duck hunting will have my attention for sure. May have to buy a camp up there! Lol.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 02:11 AM

I hunted down there for 20 yrs reason the ducks were so thick is the farmer had 200 acres of soybeans that were not harvested. I set my game camera on a waterhole and got duck pictures Dont think you can buy any better picts than the ones i got and they were all mallards We didnt hunt them cause we deer hunted down there Holler if you would like to see all them sometime I fish fork a lot
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 04:01 AM

roflmao

Lol, true story
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 12:58 PM

We need a restaurant/bat on the water at Lake Bob Sandlin where you can dock and eat. Might go good with a lodge and as has been said for years, Lake Bob Sandlin is the sleeper lake in Texas. It's starting to wake up. People are buying land and homes here like crazy.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Kodyjoe
I hunted down there for 20 yrs reason the ducks were so thick is the farmer had 200 acres of soybeans that were not harvested. I set my game camera on a waterhole and got duck pictures Dont think you can buy any better picts than the ones i got and they were all mallards We didnt hunt them cause we deer hunted down there Holler if you would like to see all them sometime I fish fork a lot

Yup! You had beans South of the River, and Peanuts to the North of it. Made for a green head whack fest for years!

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 04:31 PM

Yep all thats gone since they are working on Bois darc lake but like you i think they will keep it low cause they making it for water Wish it would be like Fork or Cooper Lake in its heyday since i am bout ten minutes away

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/29/20 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
We need a restaurant/bat on the water at Lake Bob Sandlin where you can dock and eat. Might go good with a lodge and as has been said for years, Lake Bob Sandlin is the sleeper lake in Texas. It's starting to wake up. People are buying land and homes here like crazy.

I agree, and love that lake. It’s so dang expensive man
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/30/20 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kodyjoe
Yep all thats gone since they are working on Bois darc lake but like you i think they will keep it low cause they making it for water Wish it would be like Fork or Cooper Lake in its heyday since i am bout ten minutes away

we are neighbors, I am at the north end of fm100.

as for bois d arc, it will be similar to fork, they already have stocked ponds just waiting for the fill up. haven't gone down the construction road but intend to soon, been too much rock hauler traffic and it has already cost me a windshield. primary reason is to stop our floods, secondary is water supply (14,000 acres is not that large of a water supply when it is rain dependent) and last is recreation. anyone that wants to ask questions can go to the old riverby sales barn, about 18 miles north of honey grove on fm 100 (turns into fm 79 then about 2 miles). the mitigation land, last I heard, will be inaccessible for 5 yrs. for growth and development of plants/trees then it goes public like the caddo grasslands. that was a yr. or so ago I was told this.

personally I would not try to start a business on the lake, honey grove maybe, bonham maybe but access and size of the lake would be a no go for me. fork is 27,000 acres, bois d arc will be 14,000 acres so you essentially have one arm of fork for your whole lake.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/30/20 03:38 PM

I haven’t read the comments but don’t let negative comments discourage you. Let it help you come up with better ideas. For one I don’t see lake fork as a family vacation destination. Not too many wives actually care about fishing and they don’t want to be stuck on a boat while you fish. So maybe if you have someone the does pedicures, manicure s, massages, or yoga class. You have to get momma excited about going to your place. Cause everyone knows if momma ain’t happy nobody is happy.

When I started my venture. I asked for comments and you’re going to get a lot of negativity. You just have to shake it off and keep walking.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/30/20 05:11 PM

Yep not that far from you if you live at the big duck lodge on 100
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/30/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Statton48

I agree, and love that lake. It’s so dang expensive man

I tried talking my parents into selling their lot on Cypress and buying on Sandlin. Sandlin is a MUCH nicer lake.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/30/20 06:29 PM

I've always been surprised that Tall Tree doesn't do better on Cypress. I think in the past it was because they couldn't sell beer and liquor but that has changed now. Even with that the ownership has changed 3 times in the last 4-5 years. It's still just so seasonal is the problem. We love going to the lake house Nov-April more than the rest of the year because its so quiet out there. I couldn't imagine having a business with that limited of a crowd during those months.

That being said, I would build what the OP is talking about building on Cypress or Sandlin LONG before I would do it on Fork.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/30/20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chris G

I've always been surprised that Tall Tree doesn't do better on Cypress. I think in the past it was because they couldn't sell beer and liquor but that has changed now. Even with that the ownership has changed 3 times in the last 4-5 years. It's still just so seasonal is the problem. We love going to the lake house Nov-April more than the rest of the year because its so quiet out there. I couldn't imagine having a business with that limited of a crowd during those months.

That being said, I would build what the OP is talking about building on Cypress or Sandlin LONG before I would do it on Fork.

Tall Tree F'd up when they kicked out all the RVs they had on the lot paying rent, we would eat at the marina a few times each visit
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/31/20 02:22 AM

There is a member on here that opened a B&B at Fork about a year or so ago. You should try to research and find him and get some answers on how his is doing there.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/31/20 02:27 AM

Lantana Lodge on Ray Roberts could maybe be had, I know the owner, I think he is way more interested in getting a marina than operating the lodge, if you are serious I can put you in touch with him.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/31/20 02:32 AM

I got mixed up in one trying to open years ago at Fork, what a nightmare..... bolt

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/31/20 04:03 AM

Thank you sir, going to look now.

Re: Fork Fishing Investment - 01/31/20 04:07 AM

Sry guys. For the ones saying to buy an existing place would be hard for me to do. I’m a builder and have a little something in mind on what I’d like. We just found a small lot on Fork, waterfront, and enough room. Just waiting to see what the restrictions are. Wide and I agreed even if it hardly rented, we still want something we can enjoy. Might shoot small for now and see how it goes.

Sandlin/cypress would be awesome!!! Love fishing sandlin, and has recreational to offer as well. We went last weekend and actually looked around some in the boat. Thanks guys for all the input and advice. All is appreciated
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum