Texas Fishing Forum

Reel for distance (Deep Cranks)

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 12:46 AM

Dumb question but what reel cast a 6XD or similar crankbait the furthest? I’m using Curado and Chronarch E5s and am wanting further with less effort, maybe some of it is the rod, idk. I just got a Curado DC and that thing slings a C-rig a long [censored] ways, maybe that’s the reel I need? Not a Lews fan but am open to opinions, looking to sling a deep crank a really long ways.
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 12:51 AM

Not much help but I love my Lew's BB-1 Pro for deep crankin'.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Minner Bucket
Dumb question but what reel cast a 6XD or similar crankbait the furthest? I’m using Curado and Chronarch E5s and am wanting further with less effort, maybe some of it is the rod, idk. I just got a Curado DC and that thing slings a C-rig a long [censored] ways, maybe that’s the reel I need? Not a Lews fan but am open to opinions, looking to sling a deep crank a really long ways.

Im using a Curado DC on a 7’6”’medium heavy Falcon Cranker II. It can almost empty the spool with a little tail wind. You should swap it over one day and try it. I think you’ll answer your own question when you do.
cheers

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Im using a Curado DC on a 7’6”’medium heavy Falcon Cranker II. It can almost empty the spool with a little tail wind. You should swap it over one day and try it. I think you’ll answer your own question when you do.
cheers

I would but don’t like cranking with 7+ gears. Anyone know if Shimano SLX DC is as good as the Curado DC?
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 01:21 AM

Daiwa Tatula Elite Long Cast
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 02:42 AM

I can’t find one that doesn’t suck for slinging deep cranks. Might be my rods too, but I have tried 2 different ones with the same results. Maybe I need to try some 7’6”+ rods???
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 04:20 AM

I have been one of the guys that says if it ain't broke, don't fix it. NOT a good thing on new reels, but I still use the 12 Curado B5s that I have. Tuff to beat them on CBs. If I was buying a new Shimano reel for deep cranking, I would look at the one with the longest line capacity for throwing with the wind, but that is just me. They are ALL good rels, to my knowledge. Personally, I might look at the lower end of the reels, but that is just me. The Curado K reel has more line capacity than most of the other reels, but who is going to cast 100 yards anyway, unless you have a STIFF tail wind. If you have questions, feel free to ask, because I do NOT know everything, far from it. They should alll have smooth drags aand great line adjustments. Again, me just being old school, I guess. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. OH, the SLX xT id only $130 at Tackle warehouse.

Thad Rains, OLD school.
Posted By: 87Winner

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 01:23 PM

I have been using a Garcia 5500 and Berkley bionix 7’6” MH for years without issue, kinda showing my ability to hold on to the old I know. It is really just what works best for you and what feels best. I also use a Lew’s setup in MH. Pretty smooth, but the 7:1 is a little rough. Have to slow it down some or the forearm will knot up like a bird nest casting into the wind. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 01:56 PM

I love throwing 6XDs on a Shimano Curado HG K in a 200 series. The wider spool will help you make longer casts so will smaller diameter line. I normally use 15 lb fluorocarbon but will drop down to 12 when it’s called for. I pair them with a 7’11” medium heavy White Ice cranking rod. For a 10XD I go with a Dobyns 806 heavy cranking.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Mosby
I love throwing 6XDs on a Shimano Curado HG K in a 200 series. The wider spool will help you make longer casts so will smaller diameter line. I normally use 15 lb fluorocarbon but will drop down to 12 when it’s called for. I pair them with a 7’11” medium heavy White Ice cranking rod. For a 10XD I go with a Dobyns 806 heavy cranking.

Agreed. The new Curado K will cast farther than my DC mainly due to holding more line. Get a good 7.5 to 8' Crankin rod and make sure to fill your reel all the way. Most folks only fill their reels 70% full and wonder why I am casting so much farther with mine. I like the 6.2:1 ratio for deep cranks.
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 03:53 PM

https://www.piscifun.com/collection...-baitcasting-reel?variant=13330604687383
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 05:20 PM

What type of line are you using? I always through DD cranks on mono, and use as light of line as possible. Sometimes as light as 8 pound for a 5 or 6XD if there isn’t much cover.

You are probably already doing it, but use a long rod and make your cast with some line out between your rod tip and the crank. 18 to 24 inches or more . A long rod and some extra line out should get you what you want.

The reels you are using are great, are they in good working order? Oiled?

Good luck!

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 06:35 PM

I’ve got a few Curado Ks, they don’t like throwing a 5xd into any kind of wind. Think I’ll keep playing with the breaks on the side of my chronarch, down wind is easy, but those dang big cranks like to spin when throwing into any wind which kills distance.
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/26/20 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

cheers

I would but don’t like cranking with 7+ gears. Anyone know if Shimano SLX DC is as good as the Curado DC?

Same DC system as the Curado. The SLX is missing 1 or 2 bearings at the most to make them different along with the outside look
Posted By: FalconLakeFishing

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/27/20 07:12 AM

Just my opinion but it might have more to do with your rod selection than the reel with distance on bigger CB's. Those are good reels you're using. Try a longer (7'4"+), slightly stiffer action rod (MH) for distance on the heavier, bigger CB's with 10-12lb flouro.

From what I understand the SLX DC has the composite gears VS the Curado DC magnesium gears. Not that this is a bad thing but the composite gears will wear down sooner than the magnesium gears.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/27/20 07:39 AM

Daiwa Tatula 150 for me
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/27/20 01:55 PM

My setup for deep cranks: Revo Toro beast (musky reel), high speed. 20lb braid. Kistler Helium 7'10". You can sling a deep crank on that setup farther than you want to reel it. The braid vastly increases casting distance and as far as I can tell it does not decrease the number of strikes I'm getting.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/27/20 02:01 PM

Dobyns 805 and Shimano Curado DC here and I can cast those 5 & 6XD’s a mile. I’m using 12 pound fluoro, it’s one of my favorite summertime techniques
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/27/20 08:10 PM

i went to 8ft rods for deep crank and use the Tatula, slings em a mile, and I am a Shimano guy, but, may make a switch.
Posted By: Rodney2100

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/27/20 08:24 PM

Shimano Tranx 300 series...throw away the power handle

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 01:32 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I’ve heard so many positives about the Dobyns 805 over the years I think I’ll get me one. I’ve been using a 7’8” and 7’3” rod but they just don’t seem to load that crank properly. Downwind I can sling the chit out of em but any wind against and it’s a huge struggle. Maybe it’s rod more than reel.
Posted By: b00stin4

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 02:08 AM

I have noticed the harder I try and sling one the more it tries to helicopter through the air slowing its travel speed way down..
slight amount of tension on the spool as soon as it starts seems to straighten it up and gain some distance I dont think any brand is going to help that situation at least for me lol
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 02:11 AM

A lot it is technique too. You gotta use your body, put some power into it...
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 02:21 AM

technique kinda like golf. don't try and kill it.
Posted By: Joel McBride

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 02:59 AM

Bigger spool is what you are looking for as it holds more line. Citica comes to mind for a Shimano reel.

The rod needs to be 8 foot or close to it. Hookspit will cast it a mile. Redline flouro is what we use.

I don't believe stretching the line harms it any way. If the memory starts to set in just stretch it and its like new.

If anyone thinks different about stretching line you better change line after every good fish because they stretch it.

Thad is right also, those older green curados hold alot of line and are quality.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 03:20 AM

Shimano SLX DC 150 paired w/ a Castaway Skeleton V2 Deep Cranking Rod 7' 11"

I can launch 8xd and 10xd a county mile without effort. Has the ability to set the hook without hesitation.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by Joel McBride
Bigger spool is what you are looking for as it holds more line. Citica comes to mind for a Shimano reel.

The rod needs to be 8 foot or close to it. Hookspit will cast it a mile. Redline flouro is what we use.

I don't believe stretching the line harms it any way. If the memory starts to set in just stretch it and its like new.

If anyone thinks different about stretching line you better change line after every good fish because they stretch it.

Thad is right also, those older green curados hold a lot of line and are quality.

It made a big difference when I switched to the Lew's Super Duty Wide Speed Spool. Holds more line and with a full spool I can heave those baits a long ways. And yes I use a Dobyns 805
Posted By: herbsteiner

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by FalconLakeFishing

Just my opinion but it might have more to do with your rod selection than the reel with distance on bigger CB's. Those are good reels you're using. Try a longer (7'4"+), slightly stiffer action rod (MH) for distance on the heavier, bigger CB's with 10-12lb flouro.

From what I understand the SLX DC has the composite gears VS the Curado DC magnesium gears. Not that this is a bad thing but the composite gears will wear down sooner than the magnesium gears.

I was feeling that the problem would be solved by a different rod choice. In my experience with the deeper baits, I toss 5XD and up with a Gloomis E6X 884C, with a Revo Winch reel.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 08:27 PM

And get a low gear ratio
Posted By: Walls

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/28/20 08:34 PM

That Curado DC with a good 7-10 or longer rod will darn near spool ya if you cast an 8 or 10XD down wind.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/29/20 01:39 AM

Thats easy. A Lews Super Duty wide spool will blow all the others out of the water, including the Curado DC. I know because I have all the reels that have been suggested except for the Revo and the Daiwa Tatula Elite. I had a couple of Revos in the past and they are good reels they just did not fit my hand as well as the others do, so I sold them.

#1 Lews Super Duty wide spool
#2 Daiwa Tatula CT ------I use this reel in 3 different gear ratio's to do all the rest of my cranking for baits smaller than the 8XD down to square bill's as small as the 1.0 and also use it for topwater baits.. I haven't tried the new Tatula Elite yet but if it is even better than the CT, that is saying a lot, that would be an awesome reel for sure. So far, I am very happy with the performance of the Tatula CT, especially for the price.
#3 Shimano Curado DC

Check out the spool capacity on the Lews Super Duty Wide Spool.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/29/20 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by SoCal Tom
Originally Posted by Joel McBride

Thad is right also, those older green curados hold a lot of line and are quality.

It made a big difference when I switched to the Lew's Super Duty Wide Speed Spool. Holds more line and with a full spool I can heave those baits a long ways. And yes I use a Dobyns 805

Bingo. We have a winner. This combo will throw large crank baits as far as you need to.
Posted By: CoC Angler

Re: Reel for distance (Deep Cranks) - 01/29/20 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by FalconLakeFishing

Both the SLX DC and the Curado DC have brass gears. The Curado has the X-ship bearing, and it also features the Micro Module gearing. These features in addition to the spool size and outward appearance are the differences between the two reels. Several of the mid-high end shimano reels have some magnesium components, but non of them have Magnesium gears.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum