Texas Fishing Forum

There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today.

Posted By: Chris_K

There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/25/20 10:55 PM

Who caught em? I didn’t. Literally there were 3 boats or Kayaks everywhere I wanted to be. Gave up with a few hours.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/25/20 10:58 PM

You are not far off on the count! Busiest day I’ve seen out there in a long time. I fished 3 hours and caught 3 small ones on an under spin.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/25/20 11:31 PM

I thought the Bassmaster Classic was going on. 100 kayaks. They worse than jet skis.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/25/20 11:33 PM

Got a text that said Pirky was the same way, at least 40 or more beats, a lot for that lake.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/25/20 11:35 PM

I got 3rd. With 5 unders weighing 5.00.

.....oh. That was in the Boat class. Lol

Saw two overs. One was a 5.20, second place. 1st was ( i think) a 7 pounder-ish fish.

Bass were in less than 3 ft for me. Fished the reeds and back corners of docks....WHEN THERE WASNT A KAYAK HIDING BACK THERE! Caught around 38-40 fish. A few really fat 5-6 pound slots.
Most commented on how bad it was. But it was pretty good.
Posted By: z7x374

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 12:33 AM

There were plenty of good fish caught in the kayak tournament. 76 anglers and a few good fish caught as well. Dont see how they're worse than jet skis but to each their own.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by z7x374
There were plenty of good fish caught in the kayak tournament. 76 anglers and a few good fish caught as well. Dont see how they're worse than jet skis but to each their own.

Jet skis don’t hide behind docks! And they ain’t after what I’m after!

Just kidding either way. I am all for fishing any way ya can.

A month ago, we had a tourney there and we did the “shotgun” start. Me and another dude in a BassCat took off, side by side, headed towards the dam. We blew through a herd of waterfowl. They all didn’t move fast enough and some may have been hit by some bows. If you heard us joking about a shotgun start this morning and plastic feathers flying, we really were just joking around. We were instructed by our TD to give you guys all the right of way.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

Jet skis don’t hide behind docks! And they ain’t after what I’m after!

Just kidding either way. I am all for fishing any way ya can.

You got a point there 🤣

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 12:51 AM

So. How many inches won?
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 02:21 AM

So. How many inches won?

Looks like Bryan Howell 92.5"
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 02:46 AM

2020 KAFW - Lake Athens
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 05:23 AM

I thought the Bassmaster Classic was going on. 100 kayaks. They worse than jet skis.

How so?

They are salt of the earth type anglers. I am not anti bass glitter boat. 80% of them are cool and respect yaks. You are in the 20%. Get used to the fact that yaks will be there. Some of the best anglers in the country fish from kayaks.

You sir, can kick rocks. Go post more fake reports about Clark and Fairfield pal.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 01:08 PM

Let the drama begin rolleyes
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by 21xs Elite
Let the drama begin rolleyes

its like watching the "The Real Houswives of TFF" on here somedays. ugh. sick sick sick
Posted By: bassnman

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 04:08 PM

flush_2 barf
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 06:21 PM

Kayakers have every right to be on a lake

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by texasfisherman1
Kayakers have every right to be on a lake

You are correct.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 09:43 PM

I wish the off topic would stay there. enuff drama as it is here.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 09:45 PM

its strange enuff how bad some of them constantly bash the bass fishing section but yet they come posting here like children as they do down there, half the time in pairs...
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 09:50 PM

And then they wonder why no one goes to thier gatherings. roflmao
Posted By: John Stockman

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 10:15 PM

Im the responsible party. We had 73 anglers. It was the season opener for Kayak Anglers of Ft Worth. I'll have to check and see but I believe we had 12-14 overs. Two of them being 24in plus fish. I scored 201 fish between my 73 anglers yesterday. Of course slots do not matter to us as we are catch photo release with a strict criteria for the judging of catches. Proud of my anglers yesterday. Heard no complaints from boaters as me and my Co Director were standing on the ramp all day.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 10:16 PM

Just a heads up to the boaters that cry about kayaks. I would stay away from Fairfield the 8th of Feb. There is a dual event between South East TX Kayak Anglers and North Texas Kayak Championship. I predict over 130 kayaks.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 10:24 PM

Oh and since I got pulled into this. If any of you would like a chance at decent money on a $50 buy in I'd head over to Anglers Pro Tackle and Outdoors. Let Rick or Pattie know I sent you. We paid out over a $1000 for 1st, paid 7 spots with a $660 Big Bass pot. And none of us bought gas for our boats or 2 stroke oil.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by John Stockman
Im the responsible party. We had 73 anglers. It was the season opener for Kayak Anglers of Ft Worth. I'll have to check and see but I believe we had 12-14 overs. Two of them being 24in plus fish. I scored 201 fish between my 73 anglers yesterday. Of course slots do not matter to us as we are catch photo release with a strict criteria for the judging of catches. Proud of my anglers yesterday. Heard no complaints from boaters as me and my Co Director were standing on the ramp all day.

Yes sir. All the guys I talked to yesterday were pretty cool. It seemed like a well run event for you and your anglers. I know you have a lot on your plate at an event of that size. Although I realize that, I’d like to suggest that the kayak anglers without trailers please park in areas NOT designated as “trailer parking only”. Some of us guys with trailers find it tough to to fit a 45’ combo in a 25’ parking space. Also, the middle of a BOAT RAMP is not an appropriate place to beach a kayak(s), while the car/truck is parked. Part of the traffic jam at the ramp yesterday was a result of these two things. I’m sure that a couple of notes to your anglers, during registration, might reach the unknowing anglers would help your very well run tourney be that much better.

cheers

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 10:48 PM

Appreciate that Steeze and its a common subject of conversation. My wish is that my anglers are as respectful as possible. Launching 73 kayaks on a single ramp is a pain. We stressed all anglers should arrive early launch and put their vessels to the side. Only so much real estate on a single ramp lake.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 10:56 PM

Just a heads up to the boaters that cry about kayaks. I would stay away from Fairfield the 8th of Feb. There is a dual event between South East TX Kayak Anglers and North Texas Kayak Championship. I predict over 130 kayaks.

Nobody “cry’s about kayaks”. It’s the kayak operators that the angst is usually directed towards. Likely the same as a rude/inexperienced boater will hear about their actions. It’s pretty equality spread around. Lol. cheers

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 11:26 PM

Plenty of boaters cry about kayaks. Compare kayak anglers to [censored] roaches. I see it from 2 angles. I was a boater for years before I ever thought about a kayak. Many kayak anglers their first time off the bank is a kayak. Not unlike a guy going and buying a Tracker Classic. There is a learning curve for both. Nobody is born knowing respect on the water.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/26/20 11:35 PM

Plenty of boaters cry about kayaks. Compare kayak anglers to [censored] roaches. I see it from 2 angles. I was a boater for years before I ever thought about a kayak. Many kayak anglers their first time off the bank is a kayak. Not unlike a guy going and buying a Tracker Classic. There is a learning curve for both. Nobody is born knowing respect on the water.

I agree. Again, hats off to you and your group.
Posted By: salex

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 12:14 AM

I know a solution to avoiding the crowds.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by salex
I know a solution to avoiding the crowds.

Stay home?
roflmao
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 12:51 AM

How did this invoke such feelings ? roflmao

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:01 AM

Originally Posted by Chris_K

Class warfare.

Some guys, not all, but enough, I think because they have a $50,000 boat that they have more right to the water than a kayaker.

Fact of the matter is some of the best anglers in the world are fishing from kayaks now. And out performing those guys who spent $100,000 for a boat and a truck etc. and really have no idea what they're doing as far as actually catching fish. I see it every time I'm on a big public lake.

I would ask you give the same respect, or more, to a 12 foot yak as you would a 21 foot glitter boat. He worked way harder to get there than you did.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:20 AM

class warfare, glitter boats, c'mon man... roflmao

everyone knows ignorance walks among us all. no need to feel hurt over nothing.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮

Class warfare.

Some guys, not all, but enough, I think because they have a $50,000 boat that they have more right to the water than a kayaker.

Fact of the matter is some of the best anglers in the world are fishing from kayaks now. And out performing those guys who spent $100,000 for a boat and a truck etc. and really have no idea what they're doing as far as actually catching fish. I see it every time I'm on a big public lake.

I would ask you give the same respect, or more, to a 12 foot yak as you would a 21 foot glitter boat. He worked way harder to get there than you did.

you seem to have a lot of boater hate, it's only fishing

I am thinking about selling my boat because I feel it's unfair to those that don't have one

I have a friend that has a $5k kayak, don't let these yakkers say they don't have a hierarchy and elitists

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:36 AM

not to mention, isn't one of the main benefits to go where boats cant? banana

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
class warfare, glitter boats, c'mon man... roflmao

everyone knows ignorance walks among us all. no need to feel hurt over nothing.

You edit every post you make. Say what you think bruh

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:53 AM

I do, added the edit caption just for you!

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Douglas J

Class warfare.

I am thinking about selling my boat because I feel it's unfair to those that don't have one

I have a friend that has a $5k kayak, don't let these yakkers say they don't have a hierarchy and elitists

My yak was not 5k. But I like those.

Most bass fisherman are pretty respectful toward kayaks. However, some act as if we are not even there. Gotta check your own tribe before you mess with ours. Comments on here like "I'm going to run over the next one I see" are not productive.

There are going to be more. It's a better way to fish. Quieter, greener, more economical. But I guess you have to be in decent physical condition to do it. Probably excludes many Bass anglers in glitter boats.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:57 AM

Class warfare.

My yak was not 5k. But I like those.

Most bass fisherman are pretty respectful toward kayaks. However, some act as if we are not even there. Gotta check your own tribe before you mess with ours. Comments on here like "I'm going to run over the next one I see" are not productive.

There are going to be more. It's a better way to fish. Quieter, greener, more economical. But I guess you have to be in decent physical condition to do it. Probably excludes many Bass anglers in glitter boats.

kayaking is an olympic sport

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 03:58 AM

there is a kayak section, strange you come into the bass section with so much boater envy/hate or whatever it is....
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 04:04 AM

[quote=Chris_K]How did this invoke such feelings ? roflmao

I have no dog in this hunt but this is the early candidate for post of the year. roflmao
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 05:29 AM

there is a kayak section, strange you come into the bass section with so much boater envy/hate or whatever it is....

The bass section is for people who fish for bass, whether it be from a bass boat, kayak, float tube, the bank, or however else one fishes for bass. This isn’t the bass boat fishing section.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 06:07 AM

Envy? Hate?

Nah bruh. Just asking that you and other glitter boats give right of way to yaks on the water. Understand that we pay the same amount to launch a boat as you did; therefore have the same right to use a boat ramp, and be head on swivel when you're going 70mph, because many of us will be going 3 mph.

Safety first.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 06:47 AM

not your bruh and like I said, whatever it is, it's yours... it is pretty obvious as others have stated as well. DH, I know yall are buds and all but i am well aware of what this section is intended for. a kayaker coming here bashing so called glitter boat driving out of shape bass guys, claiming they think they are "upper" class is not one of them and offensive to many here.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 08:48 AM

Im just going to say we are all here doing the same thing from different vessels. Let's not get that confused. I came from a boat before I got a kayak. Chest beating isnt ever appreciated no matter the content.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 01:54 PM

Anyone can afford a “glitter boat”. Don’t say not having one is a “green” choice. I didn’t see any hybrid tow vehicles or bicycles at the ramp. Blow smoke up someone else’s [censored].

Hilarious.

....aim your hatred towards me. I’m the reason you remarked in this thread from the get go

grin
Posted By: CCTX

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 02:10 PM

I know y’all are joking
I’ve seen poorly behaved/rude kayakers, boaters, and bank fishermen
Also seen very courteous boaters and kayakers helping others at the ramp and on the water.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
I know y’all are joking
Also seen very courteous boaters and kayakers helping others at the ramp and on the water.

We are. It’s all just dock talk. Lol
Posted By: lconn4

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by CCTX
I know y’all are joking

I know they are joking too.. roflmao but you have to go back to the start of thread and see who said what, and who knows who. roflmao For someone that doesn't live and breathe the bass section and OT section, you might take sides. roflmao
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 05:02 PM

The only problem I see with Kayaks are the one without a light at daylight. It makes it near impossible to see them,but that can be said about boaters also. Also way does everything have to turn into a pizzing contest? Lets just try to get along and enjoy what should be a fun and enjoyable day on the water no matter how or what you fish out of.
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 05:10 PM

Can somebody please Define: "Boater Right away"

Specifically "Boat to Kayak -Right away"

I'm curious- Are there any actual Laws associated with this it or is more a "Common Courtesy" thing?

Like with Pedestrian Public roads ways...Common sense tells you it's not the best idea to go for a walk or ride a bike on the Highway

I have seen Kayaks cross an active Boat lane... Make me a bit nervous on places like Fork and more active lakes
Posted By: CCTX

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 05:55 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 06:11 PM

what a joke... hey look, it an off topic get together!!! SMDH. what do yall do, run out of beer then call each other for keyboard help??? the OT clique support is strong with Dan. anyhow kids, its Monday, beers are gone. time to adult. fish
Posted By: AMERICAN-TEXAN

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 06:37 PM

Thanks CCTX

I fish both out of a Boat and Kayak... Common Courtesy goes along way weather your a Competitive Angler or non.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2014NITROZ-7
The only problem I see with Kayaks are the one without a light at daylight. It makes it near impossible to see them,but that can be said about boaters also. Also way does everything have to turn into a pizzing contest? Lets just try to get along and enjoy what should be a fun and enjoyable day on the water no matter how or what you fish out of.

If theres a tournament going on every kayak participating will have the proper 360 light on as well as a lot of them will also have exterior LED lights. Pretty hard to miss them. But I get what you're saying, theres a good number of kayakers out there (usually dont compete) that never have the proper safety equipment and use it.

That being said, theres gonna be a TON of pissed off people on fork these next few weeks if they dont like kayaks. Theres about 3 or 4 different clubs having a tournament out there as well as a very large national trail and also BASS Kayak series, which I can only assume will have large attendance as well

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 2014NITROZ-7

As a TD I cannot emphasize this enough. I hold a short captains meeting before events. I highlight the part about having good lights. I actually stress my anglers to take pics and send them to me. In my trail, no lights is an instant DQ.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/27/20 11:49 PM

I'm gonna go ahead and say this. Dan doesn't fish with us. Dan fished 2 tournaments with another trail last year after I hounded him. I still owe him half an entry fee that he won't let me pay. I told him put your money where your mouth is. I'll pay half your entry if you show or you pay me $100 when you don't. He showed. Dan too worried about duck hunting and working out to fish plus I think he only gets like the 5th Thursday of the month off. Sorry buddy but I couldn't help it.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/28/20 12:27 AM

I'm gonna go ahead and say this. Dan doesn't fish with us. Dan fished 2 tournaments with another trail last year after I hounded him. I still owe him half an entry fee that he won't let me pay. I told him put your money where your mouth is. I'll pay half your entry if you show or you pay me $100 when you don't. He showed. Dan too worried about duck hunting and working out to fish plus I think he only gets like the 5th Thursday of the month off. Sorry buddy but I couldn't help it.

Lol I think they're referring to the Dan90210 guy.

But what's up man, it's the Dan you're referring to lol I'm hoping I'll be able to make at least one dad gum tournament this year with this stupid work schedule. If I do, I'll make sure to hit you up for half that entry fee.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/28/20 12:32 AM

For a guy that calls people the name OT clique sure spends a lot of time in the OT, lol.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/28/20 01:45 AM

It's cool bruh. I've been hitting the gym hard, cycling my creatine, doubling down on leg day, back and bi's, traps and quad split ..you know. Shot a limit on Ray Bob every weekend this season. Got my spots you know? Shooting em with my .22 lately. The gauge didn't feel sporting any longer.

Keep the entry fee! I'll just drop in next week, catch 120 inches and be out with the first place check.

Peace bud! See you soon.

Re: There were 18 billion people on Lake Athens today. - 01/28/20 04:27 AM

Lol I think they're referring to the Dan90210 guy.

But what's up man, it's the Dan you're referring to lol I'm hoping I'll be able to make at least one dad gum tournament this year with this stupid work schedule. If I do, I'll make sure to hit you up for half that entry fee.

Ha! The proper Dan replied. Him and I have gone back and forth for a few years now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum