Texas Fishing Forum

Scammer

Posted By: dillydilly24

Scammer - 01/24/20 08:09 PM

If you’re selling or planning on selling a boat or vehicle, be on the lookout for a guy out of Austin that calls himself JB. Claims his grandfathers fronting him the cash for the purchase and has a bank check. The check is from a credit union in the Austin area. Luckily my bank called to verify funds and caught that it was fraudulent. Everything looked legit, just a heads up.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Scammer - 01/24/20 08:54 PM

I’m guessing you didn’t meet him in person?
Posted By: Big Swimbait

Re: Scammer - 01/24/20 09:06 PM

I certainly hoped you called the police.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Scammer - 01/24/20 09:07 PM

Dont ya just love a crook,... slinger
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Scammer - 01/24/20 09:20 PM

Do the right thing and inform the authorities.
Posted By: Chug-bug-bang1

Re: Scammer - 01/24/20 09:23 PM

What’s his number or email address you communicated with, let’s light it up!!!!

Re: Scammer - 01/24/20 10:17 PM

Called the cops and the FTC. Crazy part is my bank said had they not called to verify, the funds would “appear” in my account until they realized those funds never actually existed which can take 3-5 days, that’s why they hold the title for 3-5. Meanwhile he would’ve already flipped my boat somewhere for pennies on the dollar.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Scammer - 01/25/20 03:25 AM

Yea, experienced that before with certified check. It was even "written" from the same bank and they still took several days to find out it was fraudulent. I despise thiefs
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Scammer - 01/25/20 03:50 PM

it is not the banks job to call an verify funds its your job . you can accept a cashier check but have them send a copy of it so it can be checked out on the bank it was drawn on . if the check cant be verified or they wont wire funds tell them to find another boat.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Scammer - 01/26/20 11:45 AM

Which credit union was it?
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Scammer - 01/26/20 03:08 PM

If they can get a bank check, or cashier's check....they can get cash.
Simple solution.

Re: Scammer - 01/26/20 03:40 PM

I wouldn’t realistically expect anyone to carry around 29k in cash. Even before i realized he was a crook, that’s just not practical. I don’t remember the name of the credit union but it was in Cedar Park. I had him send a copy of the check to my bank and had them verify for me, they didn’t have an issue doing so and they caught that it was fraudulent.
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Scammer - 01/28/20 08:01 AM

Did you ever meet him in person? I recently had a guy here in Austin sign a bill of sale to buy my boat... when it came time to do the deal things were super weird and when I insisted on a wire transfer or to hold the boat until the funds cleared he bailed.

Re: Scammer - 01/29/20 03:28 AM

No, I never met him. Ran his number through a background check and it came back as Justin Butler.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Scammer - 01/29/20 05:29 PM

A guy scammed my brother in law out of his 65ish camaro. My brother in law usually is on high alert when it comes to stuff like this but let his guard down. Anyhow the car was found in Houston and still in prefect condition. Luckily the con artist sold it to an honest man.
Posted By: Hanley

Re: Scammer - 01/29/20 06:16 PM

Type his name and town into the FB and it pulls up a page of a guy that recently sold a lawn mower, tiller, and car. Makes you wonder if he is making a career out of fraud......
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Scammer - 01/29/20 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Workfishngolf37
A guy scammed my brother in law out of his 65ish camaro. My brother in law usually is on high alert when it comes to stuff like this but let his guard down. Anyhow the car was found in Houston and still in prefect condition. Luckily the con artist sold it to an honest man.

Wow that is crazy ole brother in law got lucky. That car could have been shipped out of the country and never seen again.

Re: Scammer - 01/29/20 06:57 PM

I saw that to and noticed not a picture one of anything fishing or boat related.
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Scammer - 01/29/20 06:59 PM

Yeah you have to be careful. What they do is they will set up a time like right before the bank closes. Then call you and say they are running late. That away you can’t really verify check. Brother in should said get you a hotel room and we will see you in the morning.
Posted By: PowerLizard

Re: Scammer - 01/30/20 04:06 PM

I am super suspicous when someone brings a casheir's check or bank check prior to looking at the boat. It doesn't make sense as it doesn't allow them to negotiate the price down at all. You have to be willing to hold your ground and not accept checks. It is easier to do if you make the decision on what you will and will not accept prior to listing the boat.

I got burned four decades ago selling a used HO scale train set for a personal check when I was in the 5th grade. It was probably the best $50 business lesson I have ever received. If is isn't US cash, I don't trust it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum