Texas Fishing Forum

Drop shot Knot

Posted By: ReelSlow

Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 12:47 AM

Anyone see anything wrong with this knot?

https://youtu.be/4G-autx-iXA
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 12:55 AM

I didn’t watch it. Cause the only knot to use is a Palomar. And ain’t nothing wrong with a palomar.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
I didn’t watch it. Cause the only knot to use is a Palomar. And ain’t nothing wrong with a palomar.

This^
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Smurfs

This^

Agreed, I've been using the Palomar for so long now I think I forgot how to tie any other knot.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:10 AM

I don't like it
Posted By: tangledup3

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:12 AM

So are y’all using polomar knot with fluorocarbon and if so is that your traditional knot with flouro and any other worm hook? ie Texas rig, wacky rig etc..?

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by tangledup3
So are y’all using polomar knot with fluorocarbon and if so is that your traditional knot with flouro and any other worm hook? ie Texas rig, wacky rig etc..?

If possible, I use a Palomar. The other two knots I use are Alberto for line/leader junctions. A Trilene when a Palomar is impossible. I also use a Palomar 100% of the time on braid.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by tangledup3

Yep. Unless joining line. Tie a polomar.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 03:24 AM

Palomar no matter the line type. Keep it simple. cheers
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by ReelSlow

I have been using this knot for several years and it has become my favorite for a drop shot rig. The hook stays in position.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 05:10 AM

too complicated... Just tie a Palomar and run the line back thru the eye!
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by SlowDown
Originally Posted by ReelSlow

I have been using this knot for several years and it has become my favorite for a drop shot rig. The hook stays in position.

Thanks, good to hear from someone that uses it and not had issues.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 12:54 PM

How do you keep your bait straight? Seems like the hook was always sideways.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton

yep ^^^^^^^^^^

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat

How do you keep your bait straight? Seems like the hook was always sideways.

If you tie it correctly, and like said above, run the line back through the hook eye, pulling the complete knot down through the eye with it, the hook will stand straight out. It will also have the hook point on top. Every time. Then simply nose hook the bait. It will always stick straight out to the side, like it’s swimming.

Takes a couple tries to get it right the first time. Then, once you see it and get it right once, it will be easy for you.

I will add this. Line size and hook eye size does matter. If the line is too thick, or the hook eye is too small, you will damage the knot pulling it back through the hook eye. Lots of spit, snot, whatever for lube helps. Lol.

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 01:43 PM

You also need to use the correct hook type. A #1, or up and down one size, mosquito hook works for me on 8lb fluorocarbon leader. The hook eye has to be horizontal to the hook point in whatever hook you choose to use. You can even use a 1/0 EWG hook if you want it weedless. Rig the worm Texas style, but still using a weight on a long tag end to make it a hydrid of a drop shot. Called Bubba shot. The Bubba shot can be upsized to a 3/4 ounce weight, 5/0 hook, and a 10” powersorm. Throw it on a medium heavy to heavy rod and fish it where you’d never dare to fish a light fairy wand and skinny line.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by David Burton

+1
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 02:22 PM

Cinch knot with 5 wraps then back through the hook eye with the leader.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Drop shot Knot - 01/24/20 02:24 PM

complicated yes, but id be worried about strength issues. line not doubled through the eyelet and a lot more cinching line burning possibilies.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum