Texas Fishing Forum

Martin Creek 20 Jan recap

Posted By: bassmanrudy

Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 06:58 PM

So our club fished a tourney on MLK day as we didn't want to contend with the other tourneys over the weekend. We had 33 boats show up and 15.97lbs won it. He had 2 5lbers and said he used a chatterbait and a wacky rig(dunno the baits yet). Went downhill from there pretty quick and I think only 5 guys weighed a limit.

My day started off missing a fish on a chatterbait so I thought it was a sign they were really active. Went another hour without a bite so moved. At the warmwater side bridge caught a few on a 5XD but no keepers. Switched to a c-rig and caught a few more bass but again no keepers. Tried a shaky head and swimbaits with no luck. Saw a couple guys from the forum there so that was cool! Went back to the colder side and punched grass, swam swim jigs, wacky rig, fluke, etc and nothing. Went to the cold water intake and caught my only keeper on the c-rig(MT nightcrawler in "light watermelon/purple vein"). It was 14.5" but at least gave me a fish! Worked almost that whole shoreline towards the docks throwing different baits and the wacky rig was working but they were all like 8" or so. Worked to the road and all those pads and saw 1 bass but it didn't bite. Worked back to the ramp fishing and no bites. I think I had 12 bites and caught 9 for 1 keeper and 1.4lbs. Water temps varied from 57(cold side) to 70(warm side bridge).

Weird side story- saw a beaver leave the midlake railroad bridge and just swim out several hundred yards thru the grass and then turn around and come back. My boat was right there and he just put his head down and swam right by me! I for sure thought he would spook and smack his tail or something!

I'll attach pics of the beaver and the nightcrawler.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 07:39 PM

thumb good stuff
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 08:16 PM

Nice beaver
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 08:38 PM

Very nice report Rudy. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 08:55 PM

Great report Rudy and Sweet Beaver!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Nice beaver

roflmao
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/23/20 11:15 PM

Nice beaver

Easy tiger
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/24/20 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by i-Fish
Nice beaver

Easy tiger

Figured someone would say something about the beaver!! Have a video of it but heck that might not be good to post on here lol!!!

banana
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Martin Creek 20 Jan recap - 01/24/20 05:46 PM

Hey if it means anything to y'all….

I was fishing a cove from the bank in an old neighborhood pond when I was younger. Never had heard a beaver slap the water, well there was a lively one swimming around at dusk. He got out of sight and slapped the water, scared the [censored] out of me. Thought someone shot me...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum