Texas Fishing Forum

Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO

Posted By: JC Skeeter

Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 04:45 PM

For a new Yamaha 250 SHO, what is the true/proper break in? I am asking because after reading many different articles and posts online, it seems there isn't anything definitive. Quite a few people that have owned multiple Yamaha 250 SHO's have said that if you break it in per the Yamaha procedure you actually will "make" oil. I see where some say it is a 4 hour break in, while others say 2 hours. Some say run it like you stole it from the start and some say to push water for a while, all are geared towards properly seating the rings.

Below is a post I found where many agreed this is correct, but I wanted to get further opinions from those on here who have had success and no issues with their motor after break in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 05:01 PM

My advice is if you do not want to follow owner's manual then ask the service department at your dealer. Those guys will know more accurate.info than most anyone.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 05:26 PM

2018 VF250LA Owners Manual.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 05:39 PM

10 hours, follow the manual! Be sure to change the oil when it says immediately after break-in.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 06:03 PM

I follow hour 1
I follow hour 2
After that......I drive it like I stole it! On my 4th SHO, and not 1 problem yet!
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 09:57 PM

If you follow their procedures ( they can tell btw) and it has problems you should be covered. Not sure what they would say when you say the tff/bbc technicians said to do this and that.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/22/20 10:30 PM

I would simply call the dealer you use and ask them what the proper break in procedure is for your motor.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 12:19 AM

How many folks did the 20hr service? I haven't. I was told the first oil change can be at 50 hrs. I have 22 now.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by Okie Poke
How many folks did the 20hr service? I haven't. I was told the first oil change can be at 50 hrs. I have 22 now.

You can change it yourself. Takes about 15minutes.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen

You can change it yourself. Takes about 15minutes.

I'm too busy shoveling manure to have time to mess with some Yamalube Oil.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 01:59 AM

After my re-build; I had the first two done. Then I bought the pump and did it myself. Only thing I am missing is a larger vessel for the used oil. I poured back into the bottles and tried to keep from spilling...
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 03:27 AM

The dealer I bought mine from said the one hour just plowing water the 2nd hour on plane varring the rpm, after that run it wide open throttle not over 5 minutes at a time. At 20 hours change the oil as the break in oil is mineral oil. Change the oil but not the filter the first changing. When I get 20 hours on it I plan to take it back to them to change and read the computer to let them know I followed the Yamaha instructions. I do not want to mess up that 6 year warranty
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
2018 VF250LA Owners Manual.

[Linked Image]

This.....

Go to their website and download a manual for free. Keep in mind all the new motors have an ECU that records hours & minutes of run time at any given RPM range. Not sure why this subject comes up so frequently. Read the manual and do what they say. Don't rely on all the armchair mechanics telling you their opinion. If you run the motor WOT for too long during the break in procedure and burn a piston they will deny the warranty. It is pretty simple.

I know of one guy that bought a Merc 300X for a CC boat and it them threw a rod. When the dealer hooked up a laptop to the motor's ECU it showed where the motor had been run at 6,400 rpms in the first 20 mins of operation. They denied his warranty and the guy had to buy a new powerhead.

Break in on the new SHO's is very simple. It just takes a little discipline.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 01:48 PM

Do most dealers not go over this stuff when they sell these motors? Seems like this question gets posted here a bunch. When I bought mine they had the service manager come over and explain break in and even gave me a copy of the owners manual page with the break in procedure. I guess they were the exception to the rule. Doesn't seem like to much to ask on a $20,000+ motor.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tx Tree Grower
Do most dealers not go over this stuff when they sell these motors? Seems like this question gets posted here a bunch. When I bought mine they had the service manager come over and explain break in and even gave me a copy of the owners manual page with the break in procedure. I guess they were the exception to the rule. Doesn't seem like to much to ask on a $20,000+ motor.

They should offer to go to the lake with you and go over every aspect of the boat INCLUDING break-in procedure but this rarely happens.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 02:25 PM

The manufacturers and the engineers that designed it don't know their butts from a hole in the ground. For a truly expert opinion I suggest the bilge. Much more knowledge there.
Posted By: WhiskeyTango223

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 03:07 PM

There's a bunch of Japanese dudes in lab coats with PHDs in material science and engineering and metallurgy sitting in a laboratory surrounded by microscopes and failed outboard motor parts writing the service manual, you can follow what they write or listen to Joe Beercan who been breakin in motors since daddy bought his first Johnson seahorse 45 back when heck was a pup, and says things like "all outboards blow up, just what they do."
Posted By: dobbin

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 03:26 PM

I bought mine from Rick at Marine Outlet in Temple TX. I think they went a little overboard making sure I knew the break in on the new 250SHO. He told me the information the service tech told me the information and at check out I was given the owners manual with the pages highlighted on engine break in. I was then given a paper to keep in the boat so I could keep up with the hours I put on the engine. With the importance of break in shown by the dealer I did my best to make sure I did it by the book.
Thanks Rick and crew
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/23/20 03:26 PM

I would get that done. Thats one of the most important check ups to make sure the motor is breaking in correctly.
Posted By: SkeeterHunter

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/25/20 09:03 AM

I did mine more of a 30 min/30 min then ran the hell out it after that and made sure it got its 20 hour service. No "making oil" or any other issues and just now approaching 100hrs.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Proper break in procedure for Yamaha 250 SHO - 01/25/20 12:00 PM

Who cares what people THINK you should do? You paid $25,000 for a little booklet that TELLS you what to do! laugh
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum