Texas Fishing Forum

Picachos Next Week

Posted By: BuFish

Picachos Next Week - 01/22/20 05:23 AM

Hello all,

Headed to Ron Speeds place at Lake Picachos next week. Any last minute advice on things to bring/ advice etc? Does anyone have experience with the WiFi and or SAT phone Working at the lodge?

Thanks-
Posted By: BCB

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/22/20 06:03 AM

BuFish,

We set up a boat customer trip by request and our crew is all Bass Cat strong with some couples.

We are in there on Friday, fishing 3 day after that. Our group is 14 or 16 total. This is a third time for us and we set it up as a customer trip by request. Picachos is an amazing lake and reports last week were solid on fish up to 8 pounds with several caught between 4-6 pounds. Boats were chatter baits and red eye Shad rattle baits, big worms and jigs. The variety at Picachos will let you do anything and cranking 8XD abs 10XD baits seems a good bait in areas. We’ve caught them in everything and the best trap bites we’ve ever had were there. They hit like a freight train.

The record we believe is still held from one of our group two years ago. They had 425 in one day counted on their boat up to 7 pounds, another boat had several in the 7 pound class with a 9 plus.

That oughta give you something to think about. We start Saturday and end Tuesday. If your behind us we will clue you in, if your there with us we are going to have a blast!

Rick

BCB
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/22/20 12:36 PM

if you are like most fishermen,you got several bags of worms that the fish won't or never would bite....take them to picachos,those fish will bite anything and any color....

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/22/20 02:49 PM

beartrap is accurate, bring your junk...

Also you have cell service in some areas and WiFi was good at the pavilion. Indications are the new dinner area is improved on internet service.
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/22/20 04:40 PM

Wifi at the camp was working fine when I was there two years ago

actually now that I think of it I used cellular data, I don't even recall them having wifi but we were a solo trip not going through Ron Speed just using the facility
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/22/20 05:02 PM

Last time there phone worked fine if you were at the dining area. Understand with the new upgrade to dining area wi fi is improved. Good luck, I'm going 2/17 - 2/22 for third time. Mag lizards, senkos, 10" worms and mag flukes will get you bit all day. Usually a nice topwater bite in the morning. Moving baits, spinnerbaits and swim baits.

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/23/20 04:52 AM

TTT

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/24/20 03:09 AM

Hello

Thanks for all the info - sounds great, We arrive in camp Monday pm! Cannot wait to hear the latest updates - Best of luck

Thank you

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/24/20 03:10 AM

Thank you for the information - optimistic we will have some service

Thx!

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/24/20 03:12 AM

Thank you, sounds like anything watermelon red or similar has been working well over last couple of weeks, taking some traps, jigs and a few top waters as well. We heard that a lot of new vegetation / brush was under water very recently.

Thx

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/24/20 08:05 PM

Have a great trip.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/24/20 09:53 PM

Taking my Dad the last weekend in March, I can't wait!

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/29/20 01:59 PM

Hope you have a good trip, we did! The fishing was good for us and that should still be happening. Your in with a very good group of guys and it will be memorable. If we had your baggage by accident in the swap we are sorry. We didn’t load it up and they grabbed the wrong ones.

It’s really a great experience to visit Picachos, and 3 to 4 days is all anyone needs. You should plan an extra night at the El cid in Mazatlan and take in a sea fishing excursion the last day!

BCB
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Picachos Next Week - 01/31/20 11:52 PM

Is it easy to schedule a solo trip to fly in from Dallas for 3 days? I've wanted to fish down there for a long time, but don't want to drive that far. I haven't scheduled anything yet, so wondering if it's possible to schedule something short notice or is it booked months in advance? Thanks.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Picachos Next Week - 02/01/20 12:13 AM

call bill at ron speed adventures 800 722 0006 and he can tell you when they have vacancies...been to picachos twice plus comedero and el salto...8 of us are going back in march and will fish 3 days at picachos and 3 days at comedero...probably going to be the best fishing you've ever experienced..
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Picachos Next Week - 02/01/20 03:00 AM

Cool. I think I will give him a call early next week and see what's available. Looking forward to bruised ribs and torn up fingers. :-)

Re: Picachos Next Week - 02/01/20 03:24 PM

American flys direct between DFW and Mazatlan, not cheap.
Bill can probably put you in with a group. I go with Steve Alexander, Private Waters Fishing. Leaving 2/17 for a 4 day.

Re: Picachos Next Week - 02/01/20 06:41 PM

Hello-

Just now checking this post. We had a great trip. Currently in Mazatlán flying out. Thanks for info on bag- all that got worked out. Our guy who lost the bag said use of a new Bass Cat for the rest of the year would be great compensation!! Haha. We caught the fish well on everything from senkos, Strike king soft plastics, - Texas rigged and wacky rig. The largest fish were on swimbaits. We will be back next year!

Re: Picachos Next Week - 02/02/20 03:38 AM

So will we, end of January.

LOL on the boat use.

BCB
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum