Texas Fishing Forum

Which reel?

Posted By: SlowDown

Which reel? - 01/21/20 08:34 PM

I need to buy a new reel that will help me make longer casts. I will use it on a 7’ MH, fast action, bait casting rod that is rated for baits between 1/4 and 1 ounce. I understand that line size, filling the reel spool almost to the top, and other factors come into play for long distance casting.

I like low profile reels, but would not rule out other styles. Which reel, at a cost not exceeding about $175 would you suggest? Thanks for your help.
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: Which reel? - 01/21/20 09:21 PM

I know you said you like low profile, but i have an abu garcia toro beast if interested... I used it this past weekend for the first time and It doesn't fit my style. I dont like it.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Which reel? - 01/21/20 09:34 PM

look at the lews wide spool, I just got 2 in 6.3:1 and love them so far.

scroll down for gear ratios, they have them in a few.

https://www.lews.com/casting/superdutywide
Posted By: Chug-bug-bang1

Re: Which reel? - 01/21/20 09:35 PM

Daiwa Lexa 300HL

Retails around $175-180 online
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Which reel? - 01/21/20 10:24 PM

https://www.piscifun.com/collection...antom-lightest-carbon-baitcasting-reel-1
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Which reel? - 01/21/20 10:56 PM

Get a Shimano SLX DC. It will sling baits way longer distances, since you can rare back on it and chunk with confidence, knowing it’s really hard to backlash.
Posted By: Big hoss

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 04:51 AM

Give concepts 13 a try
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 04:57 AM

13 Fishing Concept A
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by dk2429
13 Fishing Concept A

The reels are great when it comes to casting etc... but I’ve serviced about 8 concept A’s with broken main gears with teeth broken off. The gears are just pot metal so please know this before going and spending a ton of money on these reels. Plus getting parts from 13 fishing is a pain in the butt.
Posted By: SlowDown

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 02:22 PM

Thanks for your replies. This is very helpful.
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 02:39 PM

I like my Lew's.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Finesse Master/ Dropshot king
13 Fishing Concept A

The reels are great when it comes to casting etc... but I’ve serviced about 8 concept A’s with broken main gears with teeth broken off. The gears are just pot metal so please know this before going and spending a ton of money on these reels. Plus getting parts from 13 fishing is a pain in the butt.

I've been doing quite a bit of research looking at a new reel for myself. When it comes to the Concept A the feedback is about 80/20. 80% negative and 20% positive. No way I would pay more than about 20 bucks for one of these reels. I'm a budget minded guy and I like the Lew's line of reels between $120 & 160. I think they give the best performance for the money.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 02:42 PM

The Shimano K series Curado is another good option .
Posted By: RonL

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 02:43 PM

I'd go with the Lews or the Shimano that was suggested . But Abu Garcias are really nice too .
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by RonL
I'd go with the Lews or the Shimano that was suggested . But Abu Garcias are really nice too .

I really like my revo winches in 5:1, have 5 of the first revo premiers that are good too but the new lews I have I like a lot better. had air bearings put in the premiers and about to do the same to the winches.
Posted By: squib

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 03:06 PM

If your main goals is to make the longest possible casts, I am amazed at how far my Lew's reels will sling a bait. I feel as if I get an extra 20% distance out of them. As far as other features and longevity, I am not certain. I have not had any of my Lew's reels longer than a year.
Posted By: SkeeterHawk

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 03:26 PM

Ardent
Posted By: RonL

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by RonL

I really like my revo winches in 5:1, have 5 of the first revo premiers that are good too but the new lews I have I like a lot better. had air bearings put in the premiers and about to do the same to the winches.

For distance throwing i use my BB1 on a 7-1/2’ Lews rod . Only problem i have is adjusting the spool speed cause it seems real touchy . Got quite a few back lash if not careful . I also have the Revo but I’ve never had that problem of back lash but seems I can’t throw it as far as the Lews . But it really handles better being on a 7’ rod instead . My grandson has one of those Shimanos that run over $250 and he can throw a light weight lure 15-30 ft longer than i can the Lews . It’s a really nice reel !
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
13 Fishing Concept A

I've been doing quite a bit of research looking at a new reel for myself. When it comes to the Concept A the feedback is about 80/20. 80% negative and 20% positive. No way I would pay more than about 20 bucks for one of these reels. I'm a budget minded guy and I like the Lew's line of reels between $120 & 160. I think they give the best performance for the money.

Okay, in that case I'll share my experience with them....

Do note, I fish inshore saltwater 90% of the time, 10% bass fishing. That means I'm out wading with my reels in saltwater, reels get sprayed with salt on a rough boat ride, etc... They don't have a space place to ride in a rod box.

I own 7 13 Fishing reels (C's,A's, TX, Z, KP) one Lews Lite, a Curado 70HG, and I had an Abu Revo ALX.

To make this as short and sweet as possible, out of the reels mentioned the only ones that have given me 0 issues whatsoever is my 13 reels. My Lews has gotten "sticky" and lost performance, same goes for the Curado. That Abu, I returned that hunk of [censored] same day and got another Concept C instead.

My Concept A, I accidentally dunked in saltwater on a wade early last month. I just poured a bottle of water on it, and it's still running no issues at all as we speak today (nobody is going to believe that but I've seen it with my own eyes, lol.)

One a trip with one of my friends that was using a Concept TX, he accidentally hooked in to a Jack Cravalle on a drift. After an 1hr 30min fight on light setup, the reel didn't skip a beat once. This is what primarily sold me on the 13 reels.

The KP has been good. Only reason I got it was cause it was on sale.

One of my C's is beat to hell and has been used/abused. It was my first Concept reel, and is still my favorite one I have.

To be fair with everyone though, the one reel I'm not a fan of is the Z. I used it like twice and haven't used it since.

This is just sharing my personal experience with them.. I'm not sure how y'all bass guys have so many issues with them. If y'all put your reels in our environment they wouldn't last a trip roflmao
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 05:26 PM

The new Daiwa Tatula Elite Long Cast is aptly named. They will sling a bait about as far as you want. They are just a tad over your budget but I bet you can find a sale on them if you look.
Posted By: camtheguitarman

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 07:45 PM

I'd suggest an abu garcia revo sx, it's my go to when paired with a rod similar to what you described. I'm able to chuck the lightest of baits what seems like a mile, I believe i gave around 150$ for it.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Which reel? - 01/22/20 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
13 Fishing Concept A

Okay, in that case I'll share my experience with them....

Do note, I fish inshore saltwater 90% of the time, 10% bass fishing. That means I'm out wading with my reels in saltwater, reels get sprayed with salt on a rough boat ride, etc... They don't have a space place to ride in a rod box.

I own 7 13 Fishing reels (C's,A's, TX, Z, KP) one Lews Lite, a Curado 70HG, and I had an Abu Revo ALX.

To make this as short and sweet as possible, out of the reels mentioned the only ones that have given me 0 issues whatsoever is my 13 reels. My Lews has gotten "sticky" and lost performance, same goes for the Curado. That Abu, I returned that hunk of [censored] same day and got another Concept C instead.

My Concept A, I accidentally dunked in saltwater on a wade early last month. I just poured a bottle of water on it, and it's still running no issues at all as we speak today (nobody is going to believe that but I've seen it with my own eyes, lol.)

One a trip with one of my friends that was using a Concept TX, he accidentally hooked in to a Jack Cravalle on a drift. After an 1hr 30min fight on light setup, the reel didn't skip a beat once. This is what primarily sold me on the 13 reels.

The KP has been good. Only reason I got it was cause it was on sale.

One of my C's is beat to hell and has been used/abused. It was my first Concept reel, and is still my favorite one I have.

To be fair with everyone though, the one reel I'm not a fan of is the Z. I used it like twice and haven't used it since.

This is just sharing my personal experience with them.. I'm not sure how y'all bass guys have so many issues with them. If y'all put your reels in our environment they wouldn't last a trip roflmao

I'll have to agree with you on the performance of the Concept reels. I have a C, 4 A's and 2 Z's. Couple of them are 5 years old now and never skipped a beat.
As for the Z's the two I have are growing on me even though I've only had them a few months. Outside of the noise the bushing make when casting I actually like them more then the A's.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Which reel? - 01/23/20 12:00 AM

If you are planning on throwing a large or heavy bait with thick line then I would suggest the Lews Super Duty Wide spool. I use one with a 7-1 gear ratio for my Carolina rig because I use 20 pound test as my main line and It will cast a 3/4 oz weighted rig a very long way. I also have one with a 6-1 gear ratio for swim baits and a 5-1 for throwing deep crank baits like the 8 and 10XD.
If you are going to use 15 pound test or less then I would suggest a standard Lews Super Duty, a Lews BB1 Pro or a Daiwa Tatula CT. All three are very smooth and cast a long way.
If you are having trouble making a long cast without backlashing then I would go with a Daiwa Tatula SV TW. You can set it up to make a long cast and never even thumb the spool and not get a backlash. The Shimano DC is designed to make long casts without backlashing but it is more expensive than the Tatula SV TW.
The Shimano Curado K is smooth and casts well if you get a good one. I bought 4 and have had to have 2 of them worked on. I will not buy another Curado K for that reason.
I haven't had any issues at all out of my Lews and Daiwas.
I have two of the Fishing 13 reels, (the white one) not sure what concept it is but they cast very well also. The cork reel handle is a little bulky for my liking but it has been a good reel.
I own and use all of these reels all the time.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Which reel? - 01/23/20 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by squib
If your main goals is to make the longest possible casts, I am amazed at how far my Lew's reels will sling a bait. I feel as if I get an extra 20% distance out of them. As far as other features and longevity, I am not certain. I have not had any of my Lew's reels longer than a year.

They will do you well for many years.
Posted By: SWH

Re: Which reel? - 01/23/20 04:02 AM

I’m partial to Revo’s. While I use the STX for flipping and pitching, the dual brake system works against you in distance. My Revo S will flat out sling a bait, had similar luck with the SX for distance as well. Also consider lighter line. None of these reels will sling a bait if you are on 15+ pound line.
Posted By: BigDozer66

Re: Which reel? - 01/23/20 02:51 PM

I stick to Lew's and Shimano's and have never had a problem with either. cheers
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Which reel? - 01/23/20 08:41 PM

id try to find u used shimano chronarch SF
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Which reel? - 01/24/20 01:59 AM

I only have one reel that I fish with that was a new purchase, and Santa brought it to me.. its a Abu Garcia Revo Winch. The rest of my reels are Abu Garcia Revo SX that I purchased on Ebay.. and those have been great reels for both casting and catching fish. I have a Falcon Bucco 7' Medium "Trapcaster" Rod with one of the old SX's on it that will throw a .5oz Trap 50 or 60 yards all day with 12lb Mono. Abu Reels age well.

BD
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Which reel? - 01/24/20 06:32 AM

The Lews is a nice reel. I have several Shimano Curado's that I like, but the Lews has more control and you don't have to open the face to change the breaks. I do find the Curado's you can beat the hell out of and they still work great. No sounds or anything.
Posted By: Basscat8263

Re: Which reel? - 01/24/20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Get a Shimano SLX DC. It will sling baits way longer distances, since you can rare back on it and chunk with confidence, knowing it’s really hard to backlash.

+1
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum