Texas Fishing Forum

El Salto

Posted By: LEGENDRIDER2019

El Salto - 01/21/20 05:48 PM

Going to El Salto (anglers inn) in about 3 weeks! Anybody out there been lately or even been in February? It’s my first time going there so just looking for any advice.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: El Salto - 01/21/20 06:59 PM

I'm also going for my first time the 2nd week of February, different lodge though. I hope you get some good veteran responses.
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: El Salto - 01/22/20 11:40 AM

good morning,

go and enjoy the trip. beware of the nets. your guide should keep you clear. they may not be out when you go, however, do let them spoil your trip and keep us posted

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: montgomery

Re: El Salto - 01/22/20 01:10 PM

sent you a PM
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: El Salto - 01/22/20 01:19 PM

Just came back from Anglers Inn Sunday night. The fishing is exceptional right now, and you can catch them in a variety of ways -- 100 a day is not out of the question, with some bigs mixed in. Our best bait for numbers was clearly a suspending jerkbait. Average size was better out deep with Carolina Rig, 10xd, swimbait. There was also a strong topwater bite (Rico) during low light hours.

Believe it or not, our fishing got better when they put the nets in the water. After 15 trips, I believe that when the water is up they affect the anglers far more than the fish. In fact, my friend TJ caught an 8-12 on a topwater that was essentially touching a net.

Happy to answer questions here or via PM.
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: El Salto - 01/22/20 01:44 PM

I'll be there with a group of 10 on the last week of February! keep the advice coming...
Posted By: Big hoss

Re: El Salto - 01/22/20 04:58 PM

All I remember when I went in March a few years back was Carolina rigging and black and blue jigs on the wood . And some squarebill action. But the best fish were off of the wood on jigs . Another thing was make sure you have bug spray the no see ums are ridiculous are they used to be anyway .
Posted By: SAKS

Re: El Salto - 01/22/20 05:28 PM

We were there last week of Feb last year. The fishing was good but nothing to write home about. A cold front blew through the day we got there and it affected the fish. Had good luck on just about any soft plastic in watermelon/red and also tomato. Another one of guys had good results with junebug. I fished them T-Rig and shaky head. No other baits really played a role for me. Never even had a prospect of a bite with spinnerbait, chatterbait, or crankbait. Most of the better fish came off the flats in 15ft of water. Just over 7 was big fish for the week in our group and was the only one in the 7lb range. I caught several in the mid to upper 4 lb range but that was it. I would keep a watch on the weather. Ron Speed's web site gives pretty good info on current conditions and what they are biting so I would look at that also.
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: El Salto - 02/15/20 02:59 AM

I leave Wednesday the 19th coming back Sunday the 23rd. If anyone's been to Salto in the last couple weeks I sure could use some good info. Id like to know what to be sure to take, and mostly, What to leave at home. Let's hear it. My suitcase is 186 pounds need to trim that laugh

Thanks!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: El Salto - 02/15/20 04:56 PM

Check theirs and Ron Speeds site for current catch/bait info.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum