Texas Fishing Forum

Yamaha sho

Posted By: New_Guy

Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 02:37 PM

Hey guys I’m picking up a boat this week with a 150 Yamaha sho. I just want to make sure I do the break in right. I read online where it’s 10 hours and what to do for all of them. But I also read where some people struggled to get theirs to stop “making oil”. So I’m just looking for any insight on how to do it correctly, and anything I need to look for. I definitely do not want to break the motor in wrong. Also, is there anything to look for or do post break in. Change the oil any of that stuff? I was also curious to what octane gas y’all run in your boats? It’s a little out of the way for me but I do have access to non ethanol. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Polly Gosh Lizard

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 03:27 PM

I have a 2016 175 SHO and love it. I use non ethanol all the time. I know you will enjoy your motor.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 03:33 PM

If you break it in correctly, rings should seat properly and no fuel will get in your oil.
Posted By: FewJr

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 05:06 PM

Call fun and sun boats and tackle. If I remember rights it’s motor all the way down. Run 30mph for 30min then 50 mph for 30 min the all out for 30 min. It may be rpms and not mph can’t remember so call fun and sun
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 06:02 PM

Just read the manual
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 06:33 PM

Ask your dealer, read the owners nanual and follow the instructions. Both will.lead you to the right method.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Ask your dealer, read the owners nanual and follow the instructions. Both will.lead you to the right method.
Way better advise than opening it up to conjecture on a fishing forum! laugh
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dubee
Just read the manual

Dumbest advice ever. Everyone knows the guru's on here know way more then the engineers that designed the motor. breakdance
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/20/20 11:20 PM

I will say it's the quietest damn engine. I have a 150 on my CC and just love this engine. Just wish Skeeter would allow a 200 on their 20ft bay instead of a 150. Still a dynamite engine and easy on the gas.
Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Re: Yamaha sho - 01/21/20 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by New_Guy
Hey guys I’m picking up a boat this week with a 150 Yamaha sho. I just want to make sure I do the break in right. I read online where it’s 10 hours and what to do for all of them. But I also read where some people struggled to get theirs to stop “making oil”. So I’m just looking for any insight on how to do it correctly, and anything I need to look for. I definitely do not want to break the motor in wrong. Also, is there anything to look for or do post break in. Change the oil any of that stuff? I was also curious to what octane gas y’all run in your boats? It’s a little out of the way for me but I do have access to non ethanol. Thanks guys.

Yeah, you change the oil after in my case at 20 hours. You'll be surprised at the amount of metal you'll see in the lower unit oil after the break in. It's normal but I guess those gears have to burnish properly.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum