Texas Fishing Forum

Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online

Posted By: Kyle903

Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/18/20 11:55 PM

Anyone been out on pirky in the last week? Dude at work claims it's been back generating for the last 6 days. If anybody knows give your boy a heads up. Thanks
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/19/20 12:04 AM

Yes it is back up and running. The temperature in the coves on the hot water side was 72* to 74*, the cold water side was around 62* most of the places we went today. At our club tournament it took 22+ pounds to win. Also the lake is several feet below normal pool. I did not go up to the discharge as there were several boats fishing there and didn't want to mess them up.
Posted By: hole drainer

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/19/20 12:10 AM

My fishing partner works out there. He said they are now forever more using perky for just a back for power. They will only generate it if they are running low. After that decision was made Sabine mining had a sizable layoff. ( could of came from other reasons as well, not sure ) there going to be getting the majority of there power from a natural gas based plant instead. Martin creek is next.

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/19/20 12:39 AM

Thanks for the info guys...last time I went out there a few weeks ago it was tough
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/19/20 03:14 PM

The stack is going today.
Posted By: D1988

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/19/20 10:13 PM

Drove by today. There was 10 trailers and stack going.
Posted By: machinist

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/20/20 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by hole drainer
My fishing partner works out there. He said they are now forever more using perky for just a back for power. They will only generate it if they are running low. After that decision was made Sabine mining had a sizable layoff. ( could of came from other reasons as well, not sure ) there going to be getting the majority of there power from a natural gas based plant instead. Martin creek is next.

Do you have any hard info on Martin Lake shutting down?
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/20/20 11:52 PM

It was running all day today.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/21/20 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by machinist

Do you have any hard info on Martin Lake shutting down?

That's the way for all the coal plants, when Monti shut down it was said all of them would eventually be shut down completely or used only on an as needed basis.

I'll be let the bass were biting good on Pirky after not being on for so long. That lake especially fishes tough if they aren't generating.

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/21/20 08:42 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/21/20 09:03 PM

The industry calls them "peakers". Meaning they only run during peak demand periods. Once more gas-fired plants are built, there may be no coal-fired peakers running in Texas.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/21/20 09:42 PM

Seems like it would be more cost effective to convert the existing plants to gas.
Posted By: hole drainer

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/26/20 10:57 PM

Yes sir , he is supposed to be employed thru June providing coal for Martin creek. They have let them know that they will all be layed off and if Sabine mining doesn’t buy them , Martin creek power plant will be completely shut down by the end of the year and up for sale like Monticello.

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/27/20 01:39 AM

Tourney on Brandy today.
Ours was 13 boats, BassNation had 20.
Theses plus guys just fishing on that little lake. Parking lot was foully, along with guys parking in the turn around for loading/ unloading and some down the road. What a mess and the parking lot Is a mix of ruts and huge potholes.
Glad we waged at 2:30😳
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/27/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Tourney on Brandy today.
Ours was 13 boats, BassNation had 20.
Theses plus guys just fishing on that little lake. Parking lot was foully, along with guys parking in the turn around for loading/ unloading and some down the road. What a mess and the parking lot Is a mix of ruts and huge potholes.
Glad we waged at 2:30😳

How many acres is this lake?
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/27/20 02:00 AM

It is only 1,242 acres at full pool. It is about 2' low now with lots of timber above the waterline that is usually just below the surface.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/27/20 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle903
[Linked Image]

Yep, it was running and the fishing still sucked.

Re: Lake pirky(brandy branch) back online - 01/27/20 04:24 PM

Water was high 60.s.
Our club MBC, took just shy of 14# to win. BB was about 4.5#, fished very tough.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum