Texas Fishing Forum

Ghost/ULTREX

Posted By: forkduc

Ghost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 03:42 PM

Is the Ghost really worth $1,000 more? I like what I hear, but the cost seems high.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 07:45 PM

I would give the Ghost a year before I try to compare the two, I sure this time next year you get a better insight.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 08:25 PM

I keep hearing this $1k. Where are you seeing a $1k when comparing the Link ultrex to a ghost? I saw a $200 difference and if you price the Link with mega DI, it’s the exact same price.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 08:32 PM

Was the Ultrex worth $1000 more than Fortrex? “Boat Stuff” & worth(value) are oxymorons! laugh All in the “eyes of the beholder”!
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 08:52 PM

Nothing is worth what as much money as fisherman spend buying the "have to have, latest and greatest" technology. It won't make you a better fisherman. At the end of the day, a trolling motor is just a trolling motor.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 09:33 PM

That’s what I’m thinking.
Tho motor is truly revolutionary from what I’ve read
I was quoted $2999 out the door, a 45” shaft Ultrex cost me $2000.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 10:36 PM

It’s onlh bout 600 to 700 difference. U can buy one with link and stuff for 2300 usually
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
That’s what I’m thinking.
Tho motor is truly revolutionary from what I’ve read
I was quoted $2999 out the door, a 45” shaft Ultrex cost me $2000.
i paid $2800 for an i-Pilot Link 45” 24v Ultrex the day they came became available. They can be had for less. So will a Lowrance in a few years.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 10:57 PM

The Ghost comes with a HDI transducer.

The equivalent Ultrex in 24V 45" shaft has LINK and MDI is $2899.99 MSRP. Cabela's reference.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/16/20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne P.
The Ghost comes with a HDI transducer.

The equivalent Ultrex in 24V 45" shaft has LINK and MDI is $2899.99 MSRP. Cabela's reference.

Exactly, then price a 36v and it’s more. I paid $2549 for my ghost.
Posted By: Cameron

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 05:43 PM

The Force, Ultrex and Ghost are all within a couple hundred on my wholesale price sheet. If you get a basic Ultrex with no MDI, no link...you can get one for under 2k. There are a ton of Ultrex and several Force in stock but the ghost has been on constant backorder from our distributor since it was released. I am still wanting to check out the Force in person. I wish we had a repair center locally and I would jump ship from the Ultrex.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Seale
Nothing is worth what as much money as fisherman spend buying the "have to have, latest and greatest" technology. It won't make you a better fisherman. At the end of the day, a trolling motor is just a trolling motor.

I'll disagree on this...you fiddle around with a hand held trolling motor in the wind while I spot lock my Xi5. I'll be doing a LOT more casting than you. Not to mention the hands free operation of being able to follow a weedline or creek channel.
I WILL say that technology has made a lot of mediocre fishermen better...but it won't replace knowledge and time on the water.
Posted By: petro

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 06:24 PM

I paid 2050.00 to my door for last ultrex link version.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by petro
I paid 2050.00 to my door for last ultrex link version.

That’s a great price, did you get it during a TW sale?
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by photofishin

I'll disagree on this...you fiddle around with a hand held trolling motor in the wind while I spot lock my Xi5. I'll be doing a LOT more casting than you. Not to mention the hands free operation of being able to follow a weedline or creek channel.
I WILL say that technology has made a lot of mediocre fishermen better...but it won't replace knowledge and time on the water.

While I do not disagree it makes life easier, I have seen many fisherman who "look the part" with all the bells and whistles who are just posers. They could't catch fish before, and they do not now. Not one piece of technology will replace natural instinct and ability to make changes on the fly. You may make more casts, but that doesn't mean you are making more quality casts. That being said, if you have the money to blow on a fancy TM or graph or any piece of expensive fishing equipment, go for it. Companies will continue to drive prices as long as we have people to pay them.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 07:01 PM

While I do not disagree it makes life easier, I have seen many fisherman who "look the part" with all the bells and whistles who are just posers. They could't catch fish before, and they do not now. Not one piece of technology will replace natural instinct and ability to make changes on the fly. You may make more casts, but that doesn't mean you are making more quality casts. That being said, if you have the money to blow on a fancy TM or graph or any piece of expensive fishing equipment, go for it. Companies will continue to drive prices as long as we have people to pay them.

I resemble that remark, I can't catch a cold but I have cool stuff, LOL

Truthfully it does make fishing easier, but it's not going to make me any better. But, it is nice to not have to fight the waves and wind when fishing out deep.
Posted By: TxBazzn

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 07:11 PM

Don’t compare another angler with spot lock to yourself without it. Compare yourself with it to yourself without it. I don’t have spotlock but I use it often on a partners boat. I fished this wknd offshore in strong winds and every time I caught a fish I would get blown back. Problem was I could only catch fish off this spot with one specific cast. I would spend 10-15 minutes sometimes trying to get back on the exact line. Spot lock saves you from that. Which directly puts more fish in your boat. It won’t make you better angler but it will help maximize your fishing efficiency.

As For the price, perhaps these prices are what is driving innovation. If there is money to be made then companies will invest in R&D. That’s what I’m going to tell myself here shortly.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/17/20 10:39 PM

So what you're saying is because you can't afford one only rich snob posers have them.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by tmd11111

So what you're saying is because you can't afford one only rich snob posers have them.

duel shots fired captain
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
Originally Posted by tmd11111

duel shots fired captain

Yup, I'm talkin smack and I couldn't catch water if I fell out of the boat.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 01:17 AM

Installed and tax?

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Installed and tax?

Installed??? Who needs to pay someone to install a TM, only takes about 2 hours including the removal of the old one. I bought mine before we were getting hit with internet sales tax, so mine was $2549 total.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 12:27 PM

Just ordered the force 57", supposed to be same as length as my fortrex 52". Still in sticker shock since it is the most expensive purchase I have ever made besides buying a whole boat. Will be linked to 93sv plus graph. I fish alone 95% of the time so wanted spot lock and a couple of other features. Haven't seen any reviews but from what I have researched I am pretty sure I will like it. Will post a review after I install it, comes in 28th or so. Sartin marine ordered it after most others said they were not available.
Posted By: Joefishhunter

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 12:35 PM

Spot lock and all the other features have done one thing for fishing. It wont make you better, but it does make it a lot easier to fish!!! .
Posted By: Tin Star Cajun

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by hopalong
Just ordered the force 57", supposed to be same as length as my fortrex 52". Still in sticker shock since it is the most expensive purchase I have ever made besides buying a whole boat. Will be linked to 93sv plus graph. I fish alone 95% of the time so wanted spot lock and a couple of other features. Haven't seen any reviews but from what I have researched I am pretty sure I will like it. Will post a review after I install it, comes in 28th or so. Sartin marine ordered it after most others said they were not available.

Have you checked to make sure the Force transducer will work with your Garmin 93sv? You may have to upgrade your 93sv.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Tin Star Cajun

Have you checked to make sure the Force transducer will work with your Garmin 93sv? You may have to upgrade your 93sv.

garmin makes the force, ties into graphs with built in wifi, phone app is same. can download updates etc. to phone then transfer to graphs/tm which is one of the features I like about it, no wires from tm to graph. comes with built in hd si/di chirp ducer as well.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/610414

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 01:03 PM

Hops, why would a 57” be the same as a 52”? Seems that the head is going to be way too high when you get into shallow stump infested areas. Sure hope you didn’t screw up on the length, because of the cost on these things. Can the shaft be cut down if needed to be?

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Hops, why would a 57” be the same as a 52”? Seems that the head is going to be way too high when you get into shallow stump infested areas. Sure hope you didn’t screw up on the length, because of the cost on these things. Can the shaft be cut down if needed to be?

not sure, going to go to sartin today and measure the 50" they do have in stock. I have the 52 fortrex on the boat now and run it all the way down as champions sit high in front, another 5" shouldn't make much difference, I hope. been looking at these since they said they would come out, jumped on spur of the moment yesterday on the way to the lake. may have to blame it on bein an old. lol

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 01:49 PM

not sure, going to go to sartin today and measure the 50" they do have in stock. I have the 52 fortrex on the boat now and run it all the way down as champions sit high in front, another 5" shouldn't make much difference, I hope. been looking at these since they said they would come out, jumped on spur of the moment yesterday on the way to the lake. may have to blame it on bein an old. lol

I’d double check for that kind of moola! You know, you can’t trust others to know what they are talking about. cheers

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 02:34 PM

I do. Not messing with running wires to gps puck and transducer.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Gost/ULTREX - 01/18/20 05:17 PM

I would go with the 57 on a Champ
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum