Texas Fishing Forum

Live Bait or Cut Bait

Posted By: Osbornfishing

Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/10/20 05:50 PM

I was wondering if any of you hard core bass anglers still use live bait or cut bait? I know it is illegal in tournaments, but are there still live bait bass anglers out there just having fun and catching big fish?
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/10/20 05:55 PM

Not unless I go down to Florida and drown a big Wild Shiner.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/10/20 05:58 PM

I use Saltys off our dock for the kids.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/10/20 06:12 PM

Not on the boat, but all the time off the dock.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 04:21 AM

On the rare occasions when my wife decides that she wants to go out when we are at Fork I will go get a pound of black salties and find a bridge. She will flat wear 'em out and usually catch at least a nine. The bad part is I will take her picture with several of the the bigguns and she will post them up on Facebook and tell everyone how she kicked my azz fishing. We do have a lot of fun and you can see the look of disapproval from some of the purist but I really don't care because it is time we spend together and she catches fish without losing my lures or getting hung up constantly.
Posted By: dr14

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 01:15 PM

Excuse the ignorance but are Saltys some type of baitfish ?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by dr14
Actually a type of goldfish. Bait for either fresh or saltwater. Very hardy. https://www.gameandfishmag.com/editorial/one-of-the-best-live-baits-the-new-black-salty/337100
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 04:02 PM

When I take the redhead (and now the kids) bank fishing, we'll take a bucket of shiner minnows for bait. They don't care how they catch fish - they just want to catch.
Posted By: ReelSlow

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
When I take the redhead (and now the kids) bank fishing, we'll take a bucket of shiner minnows for bait. They don't care how they catch fish - they just want to catch.

Nothin I like better than baiting hooks for the one's I love.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by dr14

Yes. A species of goldfish. A little larger than big minnows. I put them under a little bigger bobber and they swim around. Kids love them. So do the bass on Fork!
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 09:51 PM

Water dogs will get your arm broke
Posted By: camo-jorts

Re: Live Bait or Cut Bait - 01/11/20 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Pintail711
Water dogs will get your arm broke

Between the largemouth and the catfish. Swear on Texoma I lost the world record flathead on a water dog a couple of years ago.
We use live bait all the time. Don’t tournament fish and with kids we have a ball fishing with live bait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum