Texas Fishing Forum

Wind at Squaw.

Posted By: zaspook

Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 04:52 PM

I remember reading last year about Squaw Creek shutting down because of the high winds forecast. My poor OLD brain does not remember the details. Can someone enlighten me, I have a Club Tournament Saturday.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 05:38 PM

If it is really windy or foggy they have been know to close the lake to boats. They do not have an exact wind speed before they close it down. The call is made by the lake manager based on his determination of safe conditions.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 06:46 PM

i think the wind is more of a concern then fog. I was out a few weeks ago and it was so foggy across the entire lake you could not see 40 feet. They just said idle only and you launched and went. The wind was minimal.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by nitroslim
i think the wind is more of a concern then fog. I was out a few weeks ago and it was so foggy across the entire lake you could not see 40 feet. They just said idle only and you launched and went. The wind was minimal.
Thats rare actually. For the fog conditions you describe they usually allow boats to launch but hold everyone in the ramp cove until the fog lifts. Heavy fog early is common in the winter with the warm water but occasionally it can last for the entire day. Wind? It’s based on high forecasted winds usually with fronts coming in that could catch boaters “unexpectedly” out on the water. That started a few years ago when park employees and our volunteer fire department had to search and rescue a boatload of tilapia netters in an “unseaworthy” boat overloaded with tilapia capsized in high winds late in the day. It’s a completely subjective call by the staff but I would be surprised if they held boats tomorrow/Saturday with the winds to 20mph forecasted all morning. At least that’s what my weather app predicts(Weather Bug).
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 09:21 PM

two or three years ago they didn't even open the gates because the wind was ripping about 35-40 mph.
we had a media individual scheduled for that day. that's the only time I remember them not opening the gates for fishing.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 10:02 PM

When it's too foggy or the wind is too high they keep you in the cove because you can't see the gators. #savethegators
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Wind at Squaw. - 01/10/20 10:14 PM

I would DM Pico Perch. He’s the best stick on squaw I know. The guys an animal out there
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum