Texas Fishing Forum

Cleaning Fish

Posted By: Topwater2

Cleaning Fish - 01/09/20 09:13 PM

A few us were sitting around and talking about cleaning fish when this question came up. Is there a law or regulation on cleaning fish and throwing the carcass back in the water? We've seen it done but is it legal? Thanks
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Cleaning Fish - 01/09/20 10:48 PM

It's legal unless otherwise posted. Just be sure and puncture the float bladder so they will sink.
Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Re: Cleaning Fish - 01/10/20 12:20 PM

I'm trying to understand how throwing the carcass of a cleaned fish back into the water of the lake where it lived and would have died and decomposed naturally could be against any law or regulation? I guess said regulation would break the law of good common sense.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Cleaning Fish - 01/10/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by LakeTylerMan
I'm trying to understand how throwing the carcass of a cleaned fish back into the water of the lake where it lived and would have died and decomposed naturally could be against any law or regulation? I guess said regulation would break the law of good common sense.

Many marinas will not allow it in their harbor. Even ones with fish cleaning stations. Simple reason is the dead fish carcasses tend to stink an look bad when they are floating around or wash up on shore. In my experience most of the issues in regard to floating dead stinking fish at boat ramps tend to come from the bow fishermen. They love to pile hundreds of pounds of dead carp and gar right at the boat ramp. I guess its their way of showing off.
Posted By: Jessa

Re: Cleaning Fish - 01/10/20 02:20 PM

Could it also be a law or regulation in some areas because of a potential alligator threat? They become accustomed to getting food in an area where there are people? Being from Illinois, I never had to think about that eeks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum