Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex 80

Posted By: Kisndismis

Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 01:54 PM

Who has one and what did you get one for? I know they are not as appealing as the 36V but I dont want to add another battery. I am thinking of starting my stash account for one to get this summer. Hoping to be under $1800.

Any feedback appreciated.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:07 PM

Going to be tough to get a new one for that price. Even refurb. I just scored a new Ulterra for $1800 shipped but got super lucky on a ebay bid and outbid a guy at the last second. Most of those are going for about $2200 NIB on ebay. Ultrex's are about the same price.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:09 PM

Ebay has them for 2k now. They dropped recently.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:22 PM

There are several choices for the Ultrex 80.
US2 transducer
MDI transducer
MSI transducer--not available yet
iPilot LINK

Then the shaft lengths.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Wayne P.
US2 transducer
MDI transducer
iPilot LINK

Then the shaft lengths.

DO you know differences in these? I really dont and I have not even begun to think about linking it to my old 1197 or if its even possible. Shaft will be standard 45

I understand the Ultrex to be spot anchor more or less, or and ability to work a shoreline on a jog setting. Seems to take place of an anchor and power poles,,and without the extra added weight. I think I drift out of position a lot of times when unhooking or fighting fish.
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:49 PM

I have a Triton 19xs which is almost 20’ long and an 80# Ultrex. It has no problem moving me around at all. It has more than enough power for me. I’m like you, I didn’t want 4 batteries in my boat. When I ordered my boat, I got a 24 volt Motorguide. My wife ended up buying me an Ultrex for my birthday a couple of years ago, I guess since I had been eyeing them. I wanted the 45” model but she surprised me with the 52” model. She said she didn’t know which one to get and I didn’t want to hurt her feelings so I said it was perfect. I thought 52” would be too long and look funny but now I’m happy that’s the one she got. I’m just glad she knew I needed a 24 volt motor because I would have exchanged a 36 volt model. Of course the 36 volt model will have a lot more thrust but I don’t have a need for that much. As I have gotten older, I don’t fish in really really windy conditions like I did when I was a young buck so this one suits me fine. As far as where to get one, I can’t help you much there. Good Luck
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Kisndismis
US2 transducer
MDI transducer
iPilot LINK

Then the shaft lengths.

DO you know differences in these? I really dont and I have not even begun to think about linking it to my old 1197 or if its even possible. Shaft will be standard 45

I understand the Ultrex to be spot anchor more or less, or and ability to work a shoreline on a jog setting. Seems to take place of an anchor and power poles,,and without the extra added weight. I think I drift out of position a lot of times when unhooking or fighting fish.

US2 means Universal and works with several brands using 83/200 kHz 2D sonar ONLY like your 1197 has.
MDI means MEGA Down Imaging and does HW CHIRP 2D sonar and 455/800/1200 kHz Down Imaging with Humminbird units ONLY
MSI means MEGA Side Imaging and does HW CHIRP 2D sonar and 455/800/1200 kHz Down Imaging and Side Imaging with Humminbird units ONLY.

iPilot LINK is an Ethernet connection to Humminbird units ONLY that give iPilot more memory for Spotlocks (waypoints) iTracks, and the ability to follow Lakemaster HD map contour lines (Follow-the-Contour).
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Kisndismis
US2 transducer
MDI transducer
iPilot LINK

Then the shaft lengths.

Wayne P will have all the info you need. I think he knows more about Humminbird and MinnKota unit’s than the manufacturer. He is the Hummingbird guru on another forum. I think he may know “everything” about the Humminbirds.

Too late, I see he already replied.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 04:04 PM

I run the 80 on my Skeeter Zx202C and absolutely love it. We have plans of adding power poles to my old 1999 model boat and do not have alot of room. The 80 has performed well in every condition we have put it in.
Posted By: Noojen

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 04:37 PM

I got my Ultrex 80 w/ iPilot Link refurbished direct from Minn Kota for $1698 to my door back in August, 2018.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Ultrex 80 - 01/07/20 05:40 PM

2100 is going price for cheapest Ultrex besides 2k on eBay. Most are 2150 to 2350 if u ask around
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum