Texas Fishing Forum

Alligator at Squaw - Dead

Posted By: Dan Phifer

Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:03 AM

Anyone else see that the big gator at Squaw Creek was dead?

Attached picture 6CFAC945-D39B-4DE0-931C-AD78FF5D6692.jpeg
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:18 AM

Lead poisoning...
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:34 AM

looks like a head shot
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:49 AM

They like tilapia too.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 04:02 AM

Hopefully someone contacted the game warden.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 02:07 PM

He probably killed himself because he couldn’t find a fish over 2 pounds to eat.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 02:09 PM

Game warden was aware and said likely was hit with a boat
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Clark3
Game warden was aware and said likely was hit with a boat

OUCH!!! eeks
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 02:13 PM

Terrible
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:06 PM

How many reports of alligator attacks have there been on squaw, ever? Looks like he was shot, could be wrong, but didn't seem necessary.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:09 PM

Must have been a Nitro, you know how those guys are.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat

It wasn't a Ranger, gator would have had plenty of time to get out of the way...
Posted By: Rob W.

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett
He probably killed himself because he couldn’t find a fish over 2 pounds to eat.

roflmao
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 04:14 PM

Wow, this is the first I've heard of alligators on Squaw. Man, I need to get out there and see what's going on.

Looks like a good sized one as well.
Posted By: Hair Jig

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 04:40 PM

As a new resident to the DFW area ........ Are alligators common on the lakes near me (Lewisville, Weatherford, Possum Kingdon, Grapevine, etc) ? OMG
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hair Jig
As a new resident to the DFW area ........ Are alligators common on the lakes near me (Lewisville, Weatherford, Possum Kingdon, Grapevine, etc) ? OMG

Yeah and those North Texas gators are known for jumping into boats and biting people. No way, I’d go to a lake up there!
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Barrett

roflmao ROTFL!

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by grout-scout

Yeah and those North Texas gators are known for jumping into boats and biting people. No way, I’d go to a lake up there!

I don't mind if they jump in the boat ... as long as they don't try to dominate the conversation.
Posted By: bassnman

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 05:24 PM

13 footer shot at Lewisville a few years back.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 05:34 PM

Yes, they live in most of the north and east Texas lakes. They are very shy in the lakes with more boat traffic, you probably won't see one. If you do see one, just give it some space and leave it be. They've been here far longer than we have.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 05:50 PM

RiP
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 06:20 PM

Them lizards are getting further north every year

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by EastTexasBassin
Yes, they live in most of the north and east Texas lakes. They are very shy in the lakes with more boat traffic, you probably won't see one. If you do see one, just give it some space and leave it be. They've been here far longer than we have.

I have fished near them in Florida many times, and unless they had young with them they were no threat whatsoever. I just didn't want to get surprised.

Thanks for the info. thumb
Posted By: buda13

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 06:31 PM

Hope it was just an accident... I know you East and South Texas folks have em everywhere, but it pretty rare to actually get to see them around here. Hate to see the few we actually have getting killed. I totally get hunting them in places they have good numbers, North Central Texas just isnt one of those places.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by buda13
Hope it was just an accident... I know you East and South Texas folks have em everywhere, but it pretty rare to actually get to see them around here. Hate to see the few we actually have getting killed. I totally get hunting them in places they have good numbers, North Central Texas just isnt one of those places.

I agree. Last one I’ve seen in the wild was fishing up the river on Ross Barnett.

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61

the are native here. noidea every lake in Texas has them.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted by buda13

I agree. Last one I’ve seen in the wild was fishing up the river on Ross Barnett.

They get real big up there too. Love that lake.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 07:25 PM

I hope that it was not shot... Having a gun on your boat at squaw is a no no...Another thing it is illegal to shot a gator.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 07:30 PM

I have fished near them in Florida many times, and unless they had young with them they were no threat whatsoever. I just didn't want to get surprised.

Thanks for the info. thumb

Took this picture of croc in Everglades two weeks ago. Had one run over the bow of my kayak years ago when I came around a spoil island and accidentally cut off its escape route to water.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 07:57 PM

Surprised he lasted this long out in that parking lot. Finally found a prop he couldn't dodge I guess.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by machoblanco61

What? Their range extends up into Oklahoma and northern Arkansas and we can tell from fossil records that their range in America has barely changed at all in the last few million years.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 10:52 PM

Gator tails are good fried up. They make good boots and wallets.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/06/20 11:37 PM

Could have sworn I saw one in Tawakoni a couple of years ago. Right at daybreak, in the cove behind Sky Point RV park (Squirrel Cove?). Looked like a log at first, but then I thought I saw his nostrils. It was definitely something swimming, and not just drifting along. Wasn't huge, but still got the adrenaline pumping
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by TinRangerJim

Could have sworn I saw one in Tawakoni a couple of years ago. Right at daybreak, in the cove behind Sky Point RV park (Squirrel Cove?). Looked like a log at first, but then I thought I saw his nostrils. It was definitely something swimming, and not just drifting along. Wasn't huge, but still got the adrenaline pumping

Fork has them so it makes sense Tawakoni does
Posted By: 361V

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by senko9S
looks like a head shot
Ive seen them/him many times. Guessing he didn’t turn his headlights off at the boat ramp!!! laugh Sorry! Couldn’t help it!
Posted By: Dfitz

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 01:29 AM

I expect to eventually see an Alligator at Whiterock, caught a Tilapia there last year in a cast net, saw flock of green parakeets over the weekend, the call of Peacocks can be deafening in the Summer, and I haven't seen many Elk lately so there could also be a few Grey Wolves, mixed in with the Cougars, in the wooded areas, as well.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 04:07 AM

Looks like a bow fisher shot him in the head, I know they slay the tilapia out there and have been encouraging the bowfishers to shoot em

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 04:21 AM

Somervell County Sheriff shot one years ago in Squaw Creek(River) below Squaw Creek Reservoir. My kids and others fished and played in the creek below the lake. The sheriff said he was just “protecting the children”. The department actually caught a lot of flack for that one. The one (or more) in the lake would usually keep his distance but one time I was fishing and was surprised to see him just floating beside my boat. Startled me!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 04:32 AM

Always give a gator respect. Common since and good judgement goes a long way! thumb
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 04:35 AM

I'm betting if that GW that saw it and said a boat probably hit it then probably a boat hit it. I would think he is an expert at these things.

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
I'm betting if that GW that saw it and said a boat probably hit it then probably a boat hit it. I would think he is an expert at these things.
Why defer to him when you have access to such a plethora of information available on a forum? Conjecture is so much more entertaining! laugh JK....but kinda sad anyway because gators have always been a cool part of Squaw. While sightings used to be common for me it has been a couple years since I’ve seen one. Rarely went up the river without seeing one swimming off in the distance. A Luminant employee said it/they have been living lately back in the hot water discharge area back by the employee parking area. He called it the “retention pond area” or something like that. If you look on Google Maps there is a large area by the discharge that is completely off limits to the public: [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 12:59 PM

Regardless RIP Squaw Gator! [Linked Image]
Posted By: The Netstretcher

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 02:59 PM

I saw 14 gators one day on an east Texas lake.
Posted By: needmofish

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 03:08 PM

The one behind the SWIS or the small part that no one can get to has been caught on camera a bunch of times and there has been one hanging around the cold water intake .
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 03:41 PM

People get crazy about alligators. I have seen them in just about every lake I've ever fished. I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

I can't imagine a grown man getting scared by an alligator being in the lake.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
People get crazy about alligators. I have seen them in just about every lake I've ever fished. I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

I can't imagine a grown man getting scared by an alligator being in the lake.

Same here.. Gators won't bother you.... Only way they'll bother you is if you get up in one of their nest. Other than that they just go on about their way. I think they are really cool animals, hate to see this one got whacked by a boat!

I also find it funny people on here saying they don't see them often.... I'm not sure if we fish the same waters, but I don't think I've ever been to a lake I HAVEN'T seen a gator..
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by toofy
Originally Posted by BCBassCat

It wasn't a Ranger, gator would have had plenty of time to get out of the way...

If it was a Nitro then the boat would be on the bottom of the lake. Lots of good meat going to waste.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 07:14 PM

Guess yall never seen lake placid
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 07:40 PM

There was one small lake I used to fish where I saw at least five gators every time I went. Some of them were enormous. A momma gator swam alongside the boat as we left a narrow cove where I had just seen her baby. I decided to let her have that stretch of water.

I made a couple of casts at one on Lake Nacogdoches thinking it was a laydown...until it went under. I guess the closest I got to one without seeing it was fishing one of the little pockets between Harvey and Veach on Rayburn. He was laying on a bank where the dirt was about the same color he was. I threw right beside him and when he flipped around and went in the water it made a big splash and wake and about caused my brother-in-law to soil his britches.

Two years in a row on Hawkins I had to quit throwing a frog just before dark because a gator kept trying to get it.

Gators are everywhere. I think there has only been one person killed by a gator in Texas in the last 100-plus years. That was the guy down near the coast who jumped in the water just about on top of one in the dark a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly there were warnings that there was a gator there but he jumped in anyway.
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 07:45 PM

[Linked Image]

Saw this one at squaw about a month ago
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/07/20 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry
Originally Posted by TinRangerJim

Fork has them so it makes sense Tawakoni does

I know they were in Tawakoni back around 2000. We used to fish around a collapsed road bed up there and there was always a gator or two hanging out in the area.
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/08/20 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Razorback
There was one small lake I used to fish where I saw at least five gators every time I went. Some of them were enormous. A momma gator swam alongside the boat as we left a narrow cove where I had just seen her baby. I decided to let her have that stretch of water.

I made a couple of casts at one on Lake Nacogdoches thinking it was a laydown...until it went under. I guess the closest I got to one without seeing it was fishing one of the little pockets between Harvey and Veach on Rayburn. He was laying on a bank where the dirt was about the same color he was. I threw right beside him and when he flipped around and went in the water it made a big splash and wake and about caused my brother-in-law to soil his britches.

Two years in a row on Hawkins I had to quit throwing a frog just before dark because a gator kept trying to get it.

Gators are everywhere. I think there has only been one person killed by a gator in Texas in the last 100-plus years. That was the guy down near the coast who jumped in the water just about on top of one in the dark a couple of years ago. If I recall correctly there were warnings that there was a gator there but he jumped in anyway.

It's strange you mentioned Lake Nacogdoches. I was going to say that is the only lake where I have never seen an alligator. I always figured they were there but I have never seen one and I have fished that lake for many many years. The biggest one I have ever seen was on Toledo Bend. I originally thought it was a pine tree that had fallen. When I got a little closer, that big "pine tree" decided to stand up. I know it was 14' or more and it was MASSIVE. I'm not scared of gators, but I decided to give that one a little distance.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/08/20 11:58 PM

squaw gators have two tails,... popcorn2
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/09/20 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by JIM SR.
squaw gators have two tails,... popcorn2

And one big eye.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/09/20 03:03 AM

[Linked Image]

Fork gater
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/09/20 03:32 AM

I saw one on Athens a couple years ago. My gf at the time and I were just having drinks and floating around the dam area. Her eyes get big and she yells out "look an alligator" it popped up about 40 yards from the boat. He floated around for a minute or so and went back under. We had literally got back in the boat from swimming 20 minutes prior.
Posted By: Dan Phifer

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/09/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by JadensBasshole
[Linked Image]

Saw this one at squaw about a month ago

JadensBasshole, that is the dead one. It lays in same position currently.
Posted By: Skeeter2020

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/10/20 07:50 PM

Only lake I’ve personally seen them in is Lake Arlington. But have seen pictures and videos of several. Specifically Eagle Mountain.

Re: Alligator at Squaw - Dead - 01/10/20 08:59 PM

they are in almost every lake in Texas
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum