Texas Fishing Forum

Houston County Lake?

Posted By: dk2429

Houston County Lake? - 01/02/20 06:53 PM

This has become my favourite lake in recent years.. Used to be going up there once a month but haven't been in a good while now. Has anyone been fishing it, if so how is it doing?
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 01:58 PM

I used to make the haul out there every couple months but haven't been in years. I've gotten some reports here and there from friends that will go fish but I have heard it's slow. Nothing like it used to be since they sprayed the grass.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 04:18 PM

I think a guy caught a 13-14 pounder out of it recently
Posted By: Skeeter0524

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 04:27 PM

I believe it was 2012 they used herbicide pellets (sonar,I think) to kill the grass. But unlike times in the past when the grass would be killed, this time they also put in a 1000 grass carp. (Supposedly, 3 per acre of grass) 8 years later and the grass would have been back by now had the carp not entered the equation. According to Mike Webb at Texas parks and wildlife we shouldl expect a 10% mortality rate each year. That should leave about 425 left. But, if these things do reproduce then the lake may never have grass again. This lake was great before the grass was killed and has continued to decline since.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 04:31 PM

Went there last year. Stumpy mud hole. RIP

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 05:43 PM

Huh, funny y'all say that... My first time to that lake if I recall correctly was 2017...? That first trip there had me hooked. Caught plenty of solid 4-5 pound fish in there, my best out of there being a 9. After that I was there pretty regularly, just haven't been in a while. I caught that 9 on a carolina rig right off that hump in front of the CFR. The rest of the solid fish though have all been the west side toward the public ramp

It is very stumpy and there's really only "main channel" you can run from CFR to the public ramp but I've NEVER seen muddy. Every time I have been it's been clear.

Thanks guys, might have to make the haul up there and see for myself what's going when duck season is over
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 08:43 PM

I'm sure you can still have a good day out there but I can remember never being disappointed back when it was lush with hydrilla, milfoil and lily pads. Make a post here if you go, I'd like to hear something good about that little lake!

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
I'm sure you can still have a good day out there but I can remember never being disappointed back when it was lush with hydrilla, milfoil and lily pads. Make a post here if you go, I'd like to hear something good about that little lake!

Will report back when I make it up there.. Gonna be after duck season is over. I'm not fishing this time of year lol
Posted By: LakeTylerMan

Re: Houston County Lake? - 01/03/20 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Fishinfellow
I used to make the haul out there every couple months but haven't been in years. I've gotten some reports here and there from friends that will go fish but I have heard it's slow. Nothing like it used to be since they sprayed the grass.

Seems like this is a repeating theme on all these lakes. On public lakes like Lake Tyler, residents (except me) hate most any grass and hydrilla in particular and want every piece of it eradicated.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum