Texas Fishing Forum

Costa sunglasses

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 02:45 PM

I know it’s been discussed before, but I’m looking at getting a new pair of sunglasses. I’ve been a dedicated Oakley guy for many many years now. I have an opportunity to get a couple of pairs at a substantial discount. I’m looking for the best bang for the buck, is this just personal preference or is there a pair or two that’s the best for sight fishing and overall wear.
Posted By: Medinalakeguy

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 03:00 PM

Brine 580 Blue glass lenses
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 03:04 PM

580p blue whatever frame you like. They are on ebay in fantail which is the frame I use for 99.99

I also have 580g but they are heavy enough to make my nose hurt after a few hours and they dont seem any more clear I keep them in the boat also for loaners.

I keep mine in the boat so the p arent getting scratched up from daily use etc. I wear them fishing pretty much all the time, even in the rain they cut the glare etc.

I tried green also, sold them.

Id sell my 580g if anyone wants them. They are blue lense in the case and have the fantail frames in grey. 100 shipped
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 03:16 PM

580g are the only way to go the 580P scratch super easy the G lenses are super clear but are a little bit more pricey but worth every penny!
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 03:39 PM

Personally I do not notice a big difference between the 580p and 580g lenses. I don't like the weight of the glass lenses. I'm still waiting on getting a scratch on my 580p lenses. Been years and still no scratches.

I wear Reeftons mostly. Got the blue mirror for fishing, green mirror for sight fishing and grey mirror for everyday wear. Those 3 pair handle any situation for me. I have a couple pair of the Broadbills as well. Really liking the looks of the new Diego frames too.
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 04:35 PM

Get one pair with the sunrise silver lens for low light and one blue 580 g for sunny conditions, for low light conditions the sunrise silver is the best
Posted By: andy52887

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 04:52 PM

I use 580g in green. Great lenses but costa frames suck or at least the brine. I just got them back which they have great customer service cost 12 bucks for new frame. My ear piece has come off at least 4 times but they have always got them back within 2 weeks.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by andy52887
I use 580g in green. Great lenses but costa frames suck or at least the brine. I just got them back which they have great customer service cost 12 bucks for new frame. My ear piece has come off at least 4 times but they have always got them back within 2 weeks.

Same. Love the lenses, but the frames suck. Mine's been in twice now. Go with glass unless you are ultra responsible.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 05:56 PM

I've had tuna alley's for three years never a problem with the frames yet! I have the green/amber 580G for sunny days and gray 580G for the cloudy
Posted By: GODSDOZER

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 05:56 PM

Costa, Mai Jim , Oakley are all great. Just get the pair that FITS your face.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 05:57 PM

I prefer the blue 580P most of the time. I sometimes use the Copper for early morning sight fishing. I also have a pair with 580G and 400G lenses, and a pair with silver mirror lenses. I cant tell any difference besides the weight with the Glass which is negligible. I really like the Whitetip and Brine frames, the Jose frame is pretty good as well, or at least for my head shape and size.
Posted By: photofishin

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 06:18 PM

as far as type of Costas...go try a pair that best fits your face. What works for someone else may not for you.
Here's their color chart which will show you what works best. I fish a LOT offshore so I chose blue. Budget may dictate whether you can afford more than one pair.
Costas color chart

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 06:29 PM

There are a lot of costa franes wuthout the ear pads etc. They are constantly adding new frane styles. The matte frames seem to be better for me when fishing etc. Less slippery.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 08:47 PM

Costa 580g in Green with Fathom frames is my favorite. I'm very picky with these, so I use my driving glasses most of the time....Oakley Flak Jacket black iridium polarized.
Posted By: jfdawson

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 09:07 PM

My advise would be to find a frame that fits your face. Not all frames and sizes in the Costa lineup are the same. It’s best if your able to try them on first. 2nd, I HIGHLY recommend the C Mate readers. The C mates are the same frame but come with bi-focal lenses. Get the 580p ( they are lighter ). Having the bi-focal lense allows you to see better when re-tying.
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/24/19 09:24 PM

I have the Mag Bays in 580g Green Mirror that I where every day. They're very comfortable but I also have a jug head (7-5/8 ball cap).

I have another pair with the Sunrise Silver lens but I don't remember which frames they are.

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 12:42 AM

Ok so next dumb question, being an avid Oakley guy, they make frames you can easily remove lenses, does Costa do this? Again zero experience with Costas...

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mike Keenan
Ok so next dumb question, being an avid Oakley guy, they make frames you can easily remove lenses, does Costa do this? Again zero experience with Costas...

You can pop out most Costa lenses. There are tutorials on Youtube.

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 01:11 AM

Thanks Mark

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Perry

I dont think they will sell you lenses though will they?

I wear Icycles daily and they sell lenses Ive had my frames since 2011 I think.

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Look up Revant lenses.

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff From Iowa

Look up Revant lenses.

Sweet thank you. Ill save that. I havent scratched mine but it will happen.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/25/19 05:36 PM

I like mine. On my third pair of the glass lenses. After about a day, I got used to the weight.
Posted By: SamuelClimer

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/26/19 12:03 AM

I’ve used Reefton frames and have the 580p. A good buddy of mine loved the frames and got 580g. Ultimate I would have gone with glass lenses because they don’t feel much heavier on the face. I have a small bridge on my nose which isn’t great for most frame styles but these work wonderful!
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/26/19 12:56 AM

Go somewhere that has a bunch of them and try on different ones. Everyone’s face is different. Pick frames then worry about lenses.
Posted By: avid_basser

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/26/19 04:18 AM

I used to be a SolarBat guy...they are great glasses. Then I got my first pair of Costa 580g Fantails. Let me say the clarity is amazing, but like others have said the weight takes some getting used to. I have multiple pairs of Costa...Fantail, Reeftons, and Jose. The Jose are massive for my head. They seem to fall off too easily. I prefer the Fantails as they hug my face more and need less adjustments when being worn all day. The reeftons are fairly new to me, so I'll hold off on the review.

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/26/19 04:32 PM

Costa has a good 2 day sale going on today and tommorrow....several styles included.

https://www.costadelmar.com/us/en/sunset-specials/sunglasses
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/26/19 06:42 PM

Check out "Steep and Cheap" I have purchased 2 pr Costas 580G,glass lens, $120. They have Columbia,North Face, Oakley,etc.

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/26/19 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by HARD WORKN HAROLD
Check out "Steep and Cheap" I have purchased 2 pr Costas 580G,glass lens, $120. They have Columbia,North Face, Oakley,etc.

They are 109-129 on ebay almost all the time and in any frame. Just fyi, thats where Ive gotten mine.
Posted By: Mac Town Fuzz

Re: Costa sunglasses - 12/27/19 03:34 AM

I bought a pair of costa fantails with the 580G lenses this summer after a lifetime of wearing pretty much only Oakleys. The 580g lenses are far clearer than any Oakley I’ve ever worn and the fantails fit well and are comfortable. I do find them heavier, but not uncomfortable by any means.

My biggest complaint with the Costas is I can’t keep the lenses from constantly fogging up. I feel like I’m wiping them clean every 5 minutes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum